Thread: Sharpening "practice only" on better (or any) knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Sharpening "practice only" on better (or any) knives

I will start doing all of my practice free hand sharpening with very fine grit stones. I will save blade steel while developing more ability at controlling my angle consistancy. The same thing would work when practicing using any system also.

I'm trying to improve my free hand skills so I need practice. Lots of practice. I wanted to lower the edge angle on my Sage4 free hand. So I spent about 3-4 hours using the Spyderco fine grit stone. If I would have started using a DMT fine or even coarse stone I could have completed the task in 30 minutes to an hour I think. But using a finer grit than I normally would have the amount of steel removed per stroke is MUCH less. So I got lots of practice trying to maintain a consistant angle. Also, by not starting with a coarser grit I reduce or eliminate the possibility of being done but having some of the coarser grit scratches left on the bevel. That's really a different issue but by using finer grit stones when time isn't an issue I know I won't have random deeper scratches. They bug me on edges that I want to look good for two reasons. First, the edge just doesn't look as good. Second, I know it was just a lack of patience on my part. I still have cheaper paring knives I like to use for practicing but when a nicer knife needs work I can spend the practice time on a knife I really care about without worrying about removing a lot of steel by using coarser stones AND the final finish could be better. I never thought about this before but many probably have. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who is sharpens knives just for practice. I have sharpened very sharp knives just for practice. Just a thought.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Yeah, practice is important. I started out on my Edge Pro the first time with an old kitchen knife, because I was sure I'd screw up. It turned out perfect though, so I went right on to my brand new at the time 20CP Para 2, and proceeded to completely jack the bevel all to hell and back, to the point that it's still messed up to this day. There's no such thing as too much practice.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    There's no such thing as too much practice.
    I agree. So does anyone who ever heard me play guitar. The crowd would go wild, singing "MORE PRACTICE, MORE PRACTICE". And then the second verse was "MORE LESSONS, MORE LESSONS". And those were my friends.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).