Thread: Sushi Question for you all (Related to the ethnic food thread)

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Sushi Question for you all (Related to the ethnic food thread)

I happen to enjoy sushi, but I was speaking with someone who is in the medical field, and they told me sushi horror stories, about people getting sick from parasitic worms and other bugs from improperly prepared and overlooked sushi. But I guess this could apply to any food: If there is good quality control and things are kept fresh then one should not fear it. But I also wonder about the heavy metal content. I have heard of people getting mercury poisoning from eating too much sushi and even canned tuna.

What are your thoughts on this everyone?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Guess it's one of those "different strokes" deals, but personally I can't think of many things less appetizing than raw fish. Even without the horror stories, I think I'd elect to starve before I'd eat sushi.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ginsuwarrior's Avatar
    About 12-15 years ago I consumed copious amounts of sushi with no adverse affects...but, now, I view the world differently, I only eat meat I raise or occasionally meat that has been raised by people I know, or wild game. Honestly the Fukishima nuclear plant's demise has got me very concerned about our oceans, I don't have any science to back it up, just doesn't feel right.

You know some of the fish they serve in sushi restaurants is farm raised, which I use to understand to be a bad thing because of less than ideal practices among fish farmers, but now I wonder if that might be safer than whats out in our oceans.
    Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I eat Sushi all the time. Never any issues.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Living on an island I eat a fair amount of fish (raw and various degrees of cooked), often from fairly dodgy looking street vendors - no problem so far.

George Carlin needs quoting here : "Whats the point of an immune system if you don't give it practice" .... or something like that.

There are any number of things out there that can affect my health, whilst it would be silly to ignore them completely, I'm not going to let them run my diet or my lifestyle completely.

I have no idea what other countries do. But here in canada the fish that is to be served raw, must be frozen before transport. Sure it does have some effect on the overall texture of the flesh, but it does help to ensure that the fish is nice and fresh when it is delivered. If there is any health issue it would then be down to the restaurant level. And I would never order sushi from a place that seemed dodgy.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    In fairness to sushi, raw and under cooked foods of any kind are more likely to cause health problems than foods that are properly cooked. Under cooked meat and seafood may be more likely to carry worms, but bacterial infections from eating raw vegetables are responsible for more than a few deaths every year. Raw fruit is not 100% safe either, although it's probably the least dangerous thing to eat raw.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

I'd hate to see one of my favorite types of cuisine go down without a fight. Here's an excerpt from an article on livescience.com:

"Sushi eaters don't typically have to worry because sushi restaurants take certain steps in handling and preparing their fish. A required step involves freezing fish at temperatures of -4 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees Celsius) for seven days, or frozen at -31 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 degrees Celsius) for 15 hours, which kills any parasites.

"'As far as sushi goes, the rules are in place because people were getting sick,' said Keith Schneider, a microbiologist and food safety expert at the University of Florida. 'The parasites are why we do the freezing on the raw fish.'"

"The cases of sushi-related illness fall far below the number of people sickened by contaminated produce such jalapeno peppers. Even in those rare cases, the rice in sushi is more often the culprit than the fish."

The whole article can be found here: http://www.livescience.com/32163-is-...fe-to-eat.html