Thread: Is my Civilian real?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Is my Civilian real?

Hello I received this civilian as a Christmas gift and was wanting to make sure that is wasn't a fake, especially after seeing how good some of them are getting. I know that it was purchased off ebay for around $145 and from a seller in the US and everything that came with it is pictured. If there is any other info or pics needed please say so, thanks a bunch.

IMG_2155.jpgIMG_2153.jpgIMG_2152.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2149.jpg

Link to high res photos: http://imgur.com/a/9QbBI#0

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    For me it looks legit; have fun with your gift.
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Seems legit to me too. The bolts are the right one, not like the counterfeit. Plus from what I saw they don't ship with the storage bag, only Spyderco box.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sparki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laethageal View Post
    Seems legit to me too. The bolts are the right one, not like the counterfeit. Plus from what I saw they don't ship with the storage bag, only Spyderco box.
    The spyderco website picture seems to have a screwdriver screw instead of the T6 or 8, mine is like that as well. I also got the pouch. Any ideas?

Hi Marcol,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your concern. Counterfitting is a big concern for us as well. You would think our government which claims to favor private sector small business would take notice. Unfortunately, it looks like we're on our own here. We can't tell for sure if something is counterfeit unless we can inspect the piece in person.

sal

Hi Sparki,
    Yours is like mine with the torx screws in the handle or the one pictured on the spyderco website that uses phillips screws?

Hi Sal,
    Thanks for responding to my post and making such wonderful knives, it is a shame that counterfeiting has become as big of a problem as it is. You mention in your post that you cannot tell for sure if something is counterfeit without seeing it in person, which leads me to believe that nothing in the pictures looks wrong or out of place? Would it be possible to send it in to you to have it inspected? Also could you or anyone else for that matter weigh in and tell me if Spyderco has made a civilian that uses torx screws in the scales as opposed to the phillips one that is pictured on the website? http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=60

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    Hi Sparki,
    Yours is like mine with the torx screws in the handle or the one pictured on the spyderco website that uses phillips screws?
    Mine uses the phillips screws.

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    I've two Civis in the collection- both purchased from reputable sources:

One has Phillips head screws throughout, the other Torx. One has an ATS55 blade the other a VG10.
    Here's some comparison pictures for help:

Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Things make a lot of sense now. Thanks for the help!

Yes they do, I now feel fairly certain that my civilian is authentic. Thank you Sparki for replying, is yours ats55 as well? and thank you demoncase for the great pictures they have helped put my mind at ease quite a bit

Yeah, mine is the ATS version, with the Phillips screws.

Spyderco Forum Registered User GTP2K1's Avatar
    There is a fake Civilian that you can buy but the fit and finish doesnt look like they tried very hard even the handle shape up near where it meets the blade seems off to me.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...534369251.html
    Endura I (First Spydie)
    Tenacious (Work)
    Para2, Strech II (EDCs)

Yea they also didn't put an indent in the release of the lock, on the fake it follows the profile of the back of the knife. They also have liners on both sides where the real one only has a liner on one side.