Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite ethnic food that is different from your ethnicity

Spyderco Forum Registered User

favorite ethnic food that is different from your ethnicity

really hard decision...I am a regular white dude, but a Southerner from the state of AL...so fried food is out for my list

1. South American (not Mexican). My brother in law is Nicaraguan and his family are great cooks. Palomia skirt steak is favorite

2a. Cuban- Ropa Vieja is the bomb

2b. Italian. anything with authentic homemade meatballs or house made sausage

3. Mexican- Carnitas...food of the Aztec gods

4. Middleeastern/Lebanese- wife likes falafel and hummus, I like kaftka and babagonosh.

5. Thai-green curry anything.

what say you? Hopefully someone will say southern/soul food since I can't!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I too can't say Southern / Soul Food. My personal favorite is Japanese via Sushi and Sashimi (along with warm Saki or a Cold Sapporo). I could eat my weight in fresh sliced fish (if my wallet would allow).
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

There was this delicious Pakistani buffet near my old apartment that had an $8 all you can eat buffet that my roommate and I used to gorge on. Tikka masala and a whole host of other great meats (I think goat, chicken and some others I can't remember) in curry and other sauces, all wrapped up in endless garlic naan, it's enough to make my mouth water just thinking about it. There was also a great Chinese place that was super cheap and delicious and threw in a free order of juicy pork dumplings on orders over $20, so we would get some steamed pork dumplings, pork buns, pad thai, green onion pancakes, pan fried noodle, and the dumplings. In all the meals would cost ~$30 and last the meal plus a few leftover meals. The portions were huge at great prices. I miss Chino Hills a lot now haha

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    I fit the Jewish stereotype - love most every type of ethnic food.

1) Mexican
    2) Italian
    3) Chinese
    Last edited by Sequimite; 12-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

I loooove sushi. And Japanese food in general. As well as Vietnamese, Thai, Korean and Chinese.

I am a big Italian fan. French is good too.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Manchu's Avatar
    Ok, I'm from the South and while southern food will always be my favorite…but man, I flat luvs me some Korean food. The spicier the better. Hell, I'll even eat kimchi with pizza.

Also get down on some Italian and Mexican food. I'm talking authentic, not Taco Bell or frozen-food-section stuff.
    Keep Up The Fire!!

: Janich/Snody Ronin, Chinook II (2/ea.), Manix (1st gen.), Persian (1st gen), UKPK-G10/orange, UKPK-G10/fg, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Goddard OD Lightweight Sprint Run

**Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.**

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Would a good sirloin be considered ethnic for me? If yes, then that.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Would a good sirloin be considered ethnic for me? If yes, then that.
    How bout some southern tenderloin Chuck? Feast for your eyes at least

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Good mexican food is so tasty. You have to search to find it in the North-east though and even our best stuff doesn't hold a candle to what I've tried while I was in California.

Grew up on Italian food and my is Italian, so it's hard for me to even consider it ethnic food, but it's amazing when prepared correctly.

Been getting more into Thai and Indian food recently. Haven't tried Korean yet but it's on my to-do list.

Genuine Mexican food. Not this junk that's Americanized and covered in cheese. Find a "mom and pop" place for a good example. Japanese sushi and sashimi fresher the better! Jamaican while I was in Jamaica.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    That looks excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    How bout some southern tenderloin Chuck? Feast for your eyes at least

I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I'm not sure I can really answer this question, since 1) I'm from an Irish/Scottish background, so is that my ethnicity? 2) I'm American, and aside from a few cliche food dishes, everything we have is borrowed from someone else. "As American as apple pie", well apple pie is probably more Dutch than American. America is a land of immigrants, and they brought all their food with them, so what really is "American food"?

Anyway, I guess I would probably have to say Chinese. Set me up with a huge buffet and I'm set. Even then, one of my favorite Chinese dishes (General Tso's) was created in New York lol. There was a time about 9 years ago that I thought I was on my death bed, and I went out and ate at all my favorite restaurants, which were Fisches Big Boy (Big Boy hamburger and onion rings), Skyline Chili (4 way chili spaghetti and a cheese coney), Penn Station (Cheese steak with onion/extra banana pepper/mayo), and Longhorn Steakhouse (Ribeye, medium). I can honestly say that I could probably eat those dishes for 4 dinners a week for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. I could probably fill the other 3 days of the week with Chinese buffet, my mom's pot roast, and pizza with everything on it except fish and fruit.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    I live in Los Angeles, so Mexican is almost standard, even though I am a Gringo (Scottish/German). But my faves are.....

Vietnamese
    Ethiopian
    Thai
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Wow these are cool posts. I like all sorts of foods, I think chicken,rice, and beans go great together, as well as Italian and others. I like sushi alot.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Im all over the place when it comes to food. If it is good I eat it.

Cuisines worth a mention though are Thai, Mexican, Korean, and Italian.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Until recently, I had overlooked Thai food. I no longer overlook Thai.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Living in Los Angeles, the variety and quality of ethnic food is amazing.

Being a non American allows me me to include American food like - corned beef hash, beans with bacon, bacon wrapped things like chocolate bars, shrimp, twinkies (WTF!?),
    Chinese food - orange flavored anything, garlic broccoli, hot and sour soup
    Thai - spicy lime salads, tom yum soup
    Sushi and sashimi

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Probably my favorite cuisine outside the standard choices (e.g, Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Cantonese, Thai) is Vietnamese Pho. For those who haven't had it - it is a soup stock that is served with rice noodles in a large bowl, with your choice of thinly sliced meat served on top. Toppings are available at the table to "customize" the dish, including fish sauce, bean sauce, lime slices, Sriracha hot sauce, sliced chiles, bean sprouts, basil, and cilantro.

A big bowl usually costs about $4-$5 and is very filling. I usually drink a Vietnamese drip coffee with mine - which is ultra-strong and served with sweetened condensed milk. Yum.

TedP

^^^ That looks terrific Ted. I love all of the ingredients, just never had them together.
    My 's:

*Landon*

TedP,

When we lived in Dallas, there were Pho joints everywhere...very tasty fare. Particularly good when sick or hung over

I will add Cajun/NOLA (New Orleans) style food and specifically the chain Papadeaux. Great seafood with decadent sauces that only NOLA could produce. Birmingham is getting a Papadeaux (it is a Houston based chain) and I can't wait. Strangely enough, as influential as French cooking is on Cajun, I don't care for French cooking. At least the French cooking I have tried in the U.S. Maybe that is not fair to French cuisine to be judged by American renditions.

My wife just reminded me of Greek, and she LOVES spanakopita. I am a huge fan of lamb and love the kabobs. We have a locally owned place here in Birmingham called Do Di Yo's that is really hip and has Greek tapas...