Thread: PC guys, hard drive data useage question

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

PC guys, hard drive data useage question

Hey guys quick question.

I'm digging through my C drive, trying to figure out where all my space is going. What happened was, I had Fraps installed, and didn't realize it but it was recording videos every time I played a game, and it literally filled my 128gb drive. I deleted all that crap, and even went so far as to uninstall and reinstall many programs onto my secondary drive, and now only have the essential stuff installed on my C drive (which is mostly stuff that doesn't even ask where to install and I have no control over where to install it, or it's stuff like antivirus programs).

So I go into my C drive, and click on each folder's properties to see how big that folder is. On my C drive properties I have 51.7gb used, and 67.4gb free. Of course I only have a total of 119.1, which is either a combination of the advertized size of the disk being lower than advertized, which I've seen before, or that it's the formatted space, which I also understand can be smaller than the total size of the drive. Fine, I get all that.

So here's a breakdown of all the folders on C, including the "hidden files and folder" which I have set to show:

All sizes are "size on disk"

$AVG = 32.0kb (which I believe is a hidden folder for AVG antivirus)
    Intel - 100kb
    NVIDIA = 371mb
    PerfLogs = 0 bytes
    Program Files = 1.74gb
    Program Files (x86) = 987mb
    Program Data = 980mb
    Users = 1.40gb
    Windows = 17.7gb

OK so even if we round up everything to the nearest gb, that only adds up to 27gb on the high side, so how the heck do I have 51.7gb of used space? Used for what? I've emptied my recycling bin for both hard drives, I've dumped Firefox cache, I don't even use IE so I don't know if that needs dumped or not but it can't have much at all on it. Where is that other ~25gb going?

By the way, Merry Christmas

This is what I'm doing while the kids destroy my house with their new toys lol.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Nevermind, figured it out. Was a combination of a huge hiberfil.sys file and another huge pagefile.sys file.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    I was going to suggest the pagefile.

Glad you figured it out.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    I was going to suggest the pagefile.

Glad you figured it out.

Ken
    Plus tons of other hidden files and folders.
    May this is not a bad idea to download ccleaner (free utility) and clean your hard drive from all temps and so on. Will save some room. I use it for years on all my pc at home and work.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    +1 CCleaner is just brilliant.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Computers read binary. Hard drives are advertised in hexadecimal. They are roughly 91% of what is advertised.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I've also used a program called windirstat that scans your drive and gives an interesting graphic of files by size. It's helped me locate large hidden files on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by nicknapp View Post
    I've also used a program called windirstat that scans your drive and gives an interesting graphic of files by size. It's helped me locate large hidden files on several occasions.
    I used a program called Spacesniffer that does basically what you describe. It breaks down everything on your drive in squares, sized according to how big they are. Then you can zoom in on each square and look into it. Very cool and free program.

~David