Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I did it - Black G10 Lava

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I used to dye a lot of RC truck rims that were nylon and I always added some salt to the pot.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I used to dye a lot of RC truck rims that were nylon and I always added some salt to the pot.
    Hi David, I was just quoting (and following) their own directions (taken from www.ritdye.com):

"For more intense color when dyeing fabrics containing cotton, rayon, ramie, or linen, add 1 cup salt to the dyebath. When dyeing nylon, silk and wool, add 1 cup white vinegar to the dyebath. If possible delay adding the salt or vinegar until 5 minutes after the fabric has been in the dye bath. The delay will help to promote level dyeing."
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks to all! Good information.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Hi David, I was just quoting (and following) their own directions (taken from www.ritdye.com):

"For more intense color when dyeing fabrics containing cotton, rayon, ramie, or linen, add 1 cup salt to the dyebath. When dyeing nylon, silk and wool, add 1 cup white vinegar to the dyebath. If possible delay adding the salt or vinegar until 5 minutes after the fabric has been in the dye bath. The delay will help to promote level dyeing."
    Huh. Never heard of it, and I guess I've never read the instructions lol. Still, I haven't seen any issues using salt on nylon, though I guess vinegar might be better. My RC rims saw all kinds of wear from dirt/rocks/sand and such, and they held up nicely and only scratched when you dug into the nylon itself, which is pretty much to be expected.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Small Update - After carrying the RIT dyed G10 Lava, and using it quite a bit to open boxes, cut zip ties, etc., I noticed a few scratches in the G10. Even the scratches look black, I assume because they're very shallow. THese "scratches" are about as bad as it gets for a knife that isn't abused, I'm fairly confident in the durability of the coloring.

A month with the dyed G10 and still no blue is showing. There's a few scratches, from dropping it while opening packages or from something metal in my pocket (probably another knife ) but it is still as black as black can be.