Thread: Seki City G10 vs FRN fit and finish difference

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar

Seki City G10 vs FRN fit and finish difference

Season's Greetings to all on the forum

Yesterday I purchased a purple Ladybug for my mother's sewing kit and a G10 dragonfly for myself - I thought about getting the FRN version but I love G10 handles so though I would try this one instead.

The difference in the fit and finish on these two knives, both made in Seki City Japan, is huge - the ladybug had extra plastic flash left over from the moulding process and the blade, although mostly sharp, was badly ground at the base, with asymmetrical plunge lines and just a sloppy overall feel. I had to spend 20 minutes with my sharpmaker getting the knife truly razor sharp, which is very important for sewing work.

The G10 Dragonfly on the other hand, has amazingly perfect F&F - apart from a very slight gap between one of the liners and the locking bar, which I assume is necessary for the bar to move, this little knife is incredibly well put together - no tool marks, no sharp edges or corners, amazingly precise grind lines on the blade and a wonderfully symmetrical, scalpel sharp tip. The back spacer is so well fit that you cannot see where it ends and the liners begin. Even the polish on the blade was better, and these are both VG-10 knives. The knife was truly razor sharp out of box, zipping through envelopes and paper as though it wasn't there. People talk all the time about the F&F on the Taiwanese Spydercos, this knife shows that the Japanese maker can do just as good a job.

So why so much difference? Are the Japanese G10 knives made in a different factory to the FRN ones? This is definitely a case of getting what you pay for but surely all Spydercos should be finished to a minimum standard of F&F.
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Spyderco has at least two makers in Japan. Both produce knives with FRN, G-10, SS, and CF handles but, AFAIK, both the Ladybug and Dragonfly are made by G Sakai. As with all Spydercos, both your Ladybug and Dragonfly were sharpened by hand using belt grinders, so some variations in grind is to be expected. It's also going to be more difficult to grind a small knife by hand than a larger one. And, as with any mass produced item, there's always the possibility of getting a lemon.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Doc Dan's Avatar
    I agree. There is always a possibility of getting a lemon. I have the G10 DF and it stays in my pocket. Its fit and finish are excellent. I have customs that are not this good. It is smooth to open and beautifully ruggedly handsome. I have some FRN knives, too. I have not had your experience but I know Spyderco stands behind their knives. I have had a couple of lemons (from China and Taiwan) and Spyderco made it right. Why don't you contact them? I did get an unwarranted answer when using their contact form, once, but when I contacted them directly the issue was immediately resolved. Plus Sal takes personal interest in his company and knives. Those are some reason why I keep buying Spyderco.
    NRA Life Member

Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you.
    (Roy Rogers)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Perfect example of a dice toss
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have a Dragonfly in FRN (it's the ZDP one) that's just about perfect. I don't have a G-10 one to compare to, but the fit and finish are the same (excellent) as my daughter's tattoo dragonfly.

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    Thanks all for the advice, glad to hear this has not been a common experience
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Spyderco Forum Registered User StuntZombie's Avatar
    I noticed the same thing when I got my girlfriend a purple Ladybug a couple years ago. The edge was a little thick toward the kick, but the rest of the blade was fine. I imagine it's a little harder putting an edge on those tiny little blades.
    Chris

I have a blog! http://stuntzombies.blogspot.com/

The sole member of the anti-jimping club.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by glbpro View Post
    Season's Greetings to all on the forum

Yesterday I purchased a purple Ladybug for my mother's sewing kit and a G10 dragonfly for myself - I thought about getting the FRN version but I love G10 handles so though I would try this one instead.

The difference in the fit and finish on these two knives, both made in Seki City Japan, is huge - the ladybug had extra plastic flash left over from the moulding process and the blade, although mostly sharp, was badly ground at the base, with asymmetrical plunge lines and just a sloppy overall feel. I had to spend 20 minutes with my sharpmaker getting the knife truly razor sharp, which is very important for sewing work.

The G10 Dragonfly on the other hand, has amazingly perfect F&F - apart from a very slight gap between one of the liners and the locking bar, which I assume is necessary for the bar to move, this little knife is incredibly well put together - no tool marks, no sharp edges or corners, amazingly precise grind lines on the blade and a wonderfully symmetrical, scalpel sharp tip. The back spacer is so well fit that you cannot see where it ends and the liners begin. Even the polish on the blade was better, and these are both VG-10 knives. The knife was truly razor sharp out of box, zipping through envelopes and paper as though it wasn't there. People talk all the time about the F&F on the Taiwanese Spydercos, this knife shows that the Japanese maker can do just as good a job.

So why so much difference? Are the Japanese G10 knives made in a different factory to the FRN ones? This is definitely a case of getting what you pay for but surely all Spydercos should be finished to a minimum standard of F&F.
    My general preference is G10 over FRN, But I own several knives with FRN scales. I like the sturdy and solid feel of steel over the light and cheap feeling of FRN. The FRN is anything but cheap, but it feels like it because it is plastic. I have the same preference in my firearms.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved