Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to knives; Dragonfly 2/ salt?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

New to knives; Dragonfly 2/ salt?

Hello all!
    I'm new to the knife world, have yet to buy one. But I have found myself in need of one so many times, that I need to just get one. Spyderco seems the way to go! I need to get something small so I can use it at work without drawing negative attention. I was thinking the dragonfly 2 or dragonfly salt.
    The best I've been able to find one it around $55! Even in eBay.... Is it worth saving up for one, or should I be looking at cheaper brands..?
    Spyderco definetly seems like quality from what I've read, but $50 isn't readily used for me.
    Looking forward to the input! :-D

Ps: I apologize if I've posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move my post!

Welcome aboard!

You have chosen a fantastic knife--the grip and cutting power set this one apart from anything else in this size, IMO. It is my EDC, living in my 5th jeans pocket. You can find either plain edge or serrated for less than $55. Since I don't want to advertise here I'll just say to search this forum for CS. And when you find it, the code nutnfancy will get you free shipping.

You will not regret getting a Dragonfly 2.

What will you be cutting? That may determine your edge choice.

Thanks for the tip, Bill! I'll have to check it out!

I'll mostly be cutting tape to open boxes, an occasional zip tie. Small things like that?
    Which would you suggest?

Hey there, welcome to the forum. The dragonfly was my first spydercos and still one of my favorites. I am a salt water fisherman and on the ocean everyday so I use the "salt" model and love it. Having said that, if you are going to be in a regular (non extreme) environment then you should go with the plain version with vg10 steel. It will hold an edge longer than the h1 salt version and is still extremely corrosion resistant. It's a great knife and one of spydercos iconic designs. You won't regret it.

Post some pics and your thoughts once you get it! We never get tired of that stuff.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topheredward View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Bill! I'll have to check it out!

I'll mostly be cutting tape to open boxes, an occasional zip tie. Small things like that?
    Which would you suggest?
    Welcome to here. I would check out a Manbug. The balde is a little shorter and the handle isn't as big. Since the blade is almost the same length the real loss is the larger handle which makes cutting harder chores easier. But for what you describe I think a Manbug would be up to the job. And it is less expensive than a D'fly (which is a great knife). I think the FRN handle, VG-10 blade can be found for around $35. I have a Dragonfly2 and a Manbug. Since I always carry another larger knife for tougher jobs I prefer the Manbug over the D'fly. Even if I carried only one knife the Manbug and Dragonfly2 are both very capable knives for the use you described and more. So since money is also an issue the Manbug may be a good choice. As with most of Spyderco's small knives these two will hold up to a lot more than the smaller size suggests. Good luck with your decision.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    Dragonfly is great selection, can't go wrong. Save up then to find a cheaper brand.

If your set on the Salt, and for use of boxes, tape, zip tie, or rope. I would recommend the serrated edge (SE). Stays sharper longer, and easier to sharpen yourself, when that time comes. If you ever need it sharpen, send it to spyderco with $5, and they will do it for you. No cheap brand is going to do that for you.

Good luck and keep us up to date when you get one.
    Blue Possum

If you think $50 is a little high for you I would check out the Cat G10! They can still be found for $40 including shipping, and if you like a more hand filling grip when cutting zip ties, and still have a 2.5"blade I would go for the Cat! You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned Spyderco's, although cutting zip ties with Manbugs/Ladybugs might get uncomfortable if you cut a lot of them!

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the quick replies!
    I didn't expect that at all! Great community!

I thought the dragonfly would be good because I didn't like the idea of giving up too much handle. I looked up the man bug, the handle looked a little short. But I could be wrong! I look into the cat as well.

So far I'm thinking I should just save up and get a dragonfly 2. Everyone seems to have a very high opinion of it!

new spyder owner and first time poster here, hello all

to the OP,

I just recently purchased dragonfly 2 salt w/ the yellow FRN and SE blade. I wasn't 100% sold on the Dragonfly size but I wanted to try the H1 steel, but after a sold month and a half of EDC it has completely won me over. The size of the handle is just enough for a good grip and the blade is perfect for my tasks which include zip ties, tape, reducing/ modifying cardboard boxes, wire stripping, and other assorted tasks. One orther thing I like about the salt version was a side effect of the yellow handle kind of gives it the image of a 'tool' rather then a 'weapon'. People that see the knife in my job place remark that it is 'cute' from time to time. all in all a very good buy that has kicked my delica out as my go to light chore knife. you may also want to check out the dragonfly in vg-10 steel with orange FRN scales as a public friendly EDC.

Sam

That's a good point, Sam!
    The color could definetly make it look much more friendly.
    Glad to hear it is a good size as well!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    For cutting open boxes and tape etc. a plain edge will be easier to maintain. I have a plain edge H1 LadyBug that has done all sorts of everything and I find it very easy to sharpen, but I do think VG-10 will suit you better if the knife doesn't get wet and put away wet especially...it holds an edge a little longer than H1, and is still fairly easy to sharpen...plus a few bucks cheaper than the H1 last time I priced them out. I have a Dragonfly sprint run in ZDP-189, and as for size it's very good. As good as the Manbug, Ladybug, and especially the Jester are, I find they're more suited to keychain duty. For a one knife carry that's people friendly I prefer the Chaparral because it's only slightly longer, but thinner and carries even less obtrusively in a pocket, though it's quite a bit more expensive than the Dragonfly. Price and your circumstances considered, a VG-10 Dragonfly in a bright colour will suit you well for a long time.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 LW (BD1), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear)

-> Branden

some pictures!

sorry for the cell phone lack of qaulity, also don't mind the notch near the tip. found a staple under some tape.

So much to learn!

My 's : D'fly2 yl salt SE, Centofante 3, Tasman Salt blk PE, Manix 2 g-10, chaparral 1 cts-xhp, yojimbo 2.

Wanted list: N5 lwt

Delica anyone?

Save up 15 more bucks and you get a larger knife that's still not intimidating at all and better cutting power and better ergos IMHO. Now if only the delica and endura had a choil. We can dream right?
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sparki's Avatar
    Amazon had a lightning sale on black dragonfly 2's a day or so ago. I think they're still hovering around $40 there.

Excellent knife, I have a stainless steel one, but the closed construction makes it hard to open. I wish I had picked up an FRN version.

If you're concerned about negative attention, consider how visible the knife will be when clipped to your pocket. As shown in spyder_happy's pics, part of the Dragonfly's handle will stick out of your pocket. I just got a black Squeak for office carry, and the clip (which I'm planning to darken) is just about the only visible part due to the knife's ultra-low ride. I love the Squeak so much that a pink one will arrive tomorrow.
    "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum

A dragonfly is a GREAT small knife and a great introduction to Spydercos - it's a knife you will constantly find uses for, even if you also have larger knives.

The great advantage of the dragonfly over the lady and manbug knives is the fact that you can get a full 4-fingered grip on the knife by using the choil, and this allows you serious control and leverage for cutting things like plastic blister packs that sometimes seem to be armour-plated :P

As you say, there are cheaper brands out there but I have yet to find one that consistently puts out such functional, beautiful and thoughtfully designed pieces. Since getting into Spyderco all my other knives seem drab, industrial and utilitarian. Plus which other knife company owner spends so much time on his own forum as our own Mr Sal Glesser?
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topheredward View Post
    Wow! Thanks everyone for all the quick replies!
    I didn't expect that at all! Great community!

I thought the dragonfly would be good because I didn't like the idea of giving up too much handle. I looked up the man bug, the handle looked a little short. But I could be wrong! I look into the cat as well.

So far I'm thinking I should just save up and get a dragonfly 2. Everyone seems to have a very high opinion of it!
    What's hard about shopping on the internet is not being able to hold the knives. I do wish Spyderco would put pictures of their knives in someone's hands. Another knife company I have bought from does have several pictures of knives being held and it helps a lot for deciding about size. Poor quality knives thouth. I have my Manbug and Dragonfly in front of me now and the Dragonfly does have a much more secure grip than the Manbug. For zip ties especially. But if the edge is nice and sharp the Manbug will do good. But the Dragonfly may be the better option. Definately save and get the one you want though. Buying soon so you can have a knife sooner may work out but I think it's best to get what you really want. You could end up with a Manbug and be happy but not completely satisfied. I don't know how you feel about knives in general but a lot of people here have several knives or MANY just because knives are a hobby.

One thing to consider is you will need to sharpen any knife from time to time. Depending on your use this may take a while after getting a Spyderco because they usually come very sharp. But you will need a sharpening stone sooner or later so I'll recommend the Spyderco medium stone first. Then maybe a fine grit later if you want. If you can get one soon the fine grit could be gotten first if the knife hasn't gotten real dull yet. You can send the knife to Spyderco with $5 to cover return shipping but it's better to be able to do it yourself. That's later though. You may have a friend who can sharpen it. But Spyderco's stones perform great and are priced great consider the performance. There may be cheaper ones but the performance is questionable. I've tried a few types and I use Spyderco's most of the time. But, when you do get a knife and do need to send it to get sharpened and don't have $5 send it to me and I'll sharpen it and mail it back to you. I am honest and won't steal your knife. But after the first time I charge $900. You better get a stone. Or you can send it to Spyderco with $5.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Doc Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Welcome to here. I would check out a Manbug. The balde is a little shorter and the handle isn't as big.
    Jack
    I agree with Jack. I have this knife and love it. However the Dragonfly will fit into your hand with all of your fingers on it. So...it is an excellent choice, as well. The Cat is a good knife, too, and cheaper. I still prefer the other two, though.
    NRA Life Member

Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you.
    (Roy Rogers)

Hi Topheredward & Spyder_Happy,

Welcome to our forum. A nice place with bright people. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    I have bought 6 Dragonfly 2's in about 2 weeks (all in PE, including 1 Salt model). I wouldn't mind trying one in SE too. I love the design and how extremely comfortable this knife is. Like others have mentioned, the black FRN version is on amazon for $40 right now which is an amazing deal! If you absolutely need a Salt version, I don't think you would regret spending the $50 for it. It seems like the Dragonfly would suit your needs and I guarantee you will love it!
    Last edited by Revival; 12-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.