Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Kitchen Knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Spyderco Kitchen Knives

Just read the post on spyderco branded kitchen knives to be released into the wild again! So who has one of the older ones and what is your impression? Also anyone have any spoilers on what is coming our way?
    Thanks,

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Curious about steel type. I literally only have 1 kitchen knife that I use aside from some cheap steak knives, so I may be looking into these.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Where did you read about this?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I saw it posted on Facebook.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Love the old ones. Hardy a meal goes by that I don't use my K05 Utility Knife for slicing, dicing, peeling, or chopping something. Just hope the new ones are as thin, both overall and behind the edge. FWIW, the SETOs that Spyderco's Factory Outlet is selling right now are excellent as well.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Saw it on Facebook to. How would H1 be on a kitchen knife? Will they have a spyde hole?

Would be totally pleased with just vg10 though.

We have been waiting for this for a while. My wife and I really love the old ones most all of which have vaporized over time and need replacement. Good going Spyderco.
    Mike

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    When I saw the post on Facebook, I got to wondering if this announcement is referring to the re-issues of the old kitchen knives or if they finally got the BD1 issues sorted out in China and are moving forward with those. Here's Sal's post from July, just for context:

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    As an aside, some of you know that we have been working on a project o try to make kitchen knives in China with CTS-BD1 stainless from Carpenter. The project has take longer than we'd hoped, but we're still working on it.

In the meantime, we have contacted our original maker in Japan and we have a working relationship with them now. We had run into some problems wrapped around the trading company, but we've got it sorted. Sssoooo, we going to do a run of some of the original kitchen knives, one model at a time, with the original MBS-26 steel and the original handles. We'll begin with the K04 in both black and blue handles. Assuming reaction is acceptable, we'll follow up with the K05, (black and red handles), K08 and K09.

We've redesigned the knives, but the new design won't be tooled until we get the BD1 issues sorted.

sal
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    I have a few of the old ones and they are very good. MBS-26 holds a thin edge well.

The handles are a bit meh though..

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    I have a few of the old ones and they are very good. MBS-26 holds a thin edge well.

The handles are a bit meh though..
    I really have enjoyed the experience with MBS-26 on my Santoku. The handles are fine IMO. I like the asymetrical shape more than the texture!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    The old kitchen knives are excellent knives I use daily. I am religious about using them on a cutting board and washing by hand, and I only have to sharpen them once a year.
    The newer kitchen knives like the homemaker and the yin & yang models are nice too, they also add some panache to cutting chores in the kitchen.

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

I have the Yang in VG10. It is a great knife and holds an edge for a long time between sharpening.

Back by popular demand. We're going to begin with the K04 "utility". 6.5" blade. MBS-26. Made in Seki by the original maker. The first run will be just like the last run made about 10 years ago. (longer center tooth) An effort to see if we can work with the mfr through a new trader and how it goes. If the first run goes well, I'd like to retool and make the new version beginning with the K05 (the shorter utility model - 4.5" blade).

We have the K04 in back and blue serrated as well as black plain. Should be shipping just after the first of the year.

sal

Back by popular demand. We're going to begin with the K04 "utility". 6.5" blade. MBS-26. Made in Seki by the original maker. The first run will be just like the last run made about 10 years ago. (longer center tooth) An effort to see if we can work with the mfr through a new trader and how it goes. If the first run goes well, I'd like to retool and make the new version beginning with the K05 (the shorter utility model - 4.5" blade).

We have the K04 in back and blue serrated as well as black plain. Should be shipping just after the first of the year.

sal
    Sweet news! Will this be a 2014 release Sal?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR

*Landon*

They're already in. Need to QC and add an info letter. Should begin shipping right after the 1st of the year.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Great news Sal. I'll just beg you that if the K05 gets "updated", regardless of what other changes you make, please keep the original blade thickness and grind. My K05 is the most used knife I own and, IMHO, those characteristics are what make it great.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Yes.
    I am so excited to see this. I have been patiently awaiting the BD-1 set but to hear the mbs knives will be here first is excellent. I hope everything works out and more of these will come our way. I must admit I get a little green when some get to post their entire collections of the spydie kitchen knives and I cant even find them for sale on the evil-bay.
    Along the same lines, are the BD-1 knives still in progress? Any news on that front would be appreciated. Also I am not familiar with MBS-26 but I believe it is close to BD-1 in its abilities. Can anyone weigh in and set me straight?
    Thanks!

They're already in. Need to QC and add an info letter. Should begin shipping right after the 1st of the year.

sal
    This is terrific news Sal.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Great news Sal. I'll just beg you that if the K05 gets "updated", regardless of what other changes you make, please keep the original blade thickness and grind. My K05 is the most used knife I own and, IMHO, those characteristics are what make it great.
    Hi Paul,

Same steel, thickness and same grind. Small change to profile of blade and handle.

sal