Thread: Chokwe

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Chokwe

I have had my Spyderco Chokwe for a few months now. I have to say it is my favorite Spyderco as of now. But as I was checking it today it has developed some up and down blade play. Does anyone have any advice because I don't want to void the warranty? Thanks in advance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Don't take it apart, that voids warranty. If it's bad I'd send it in to Spyderco.

I really wanted a Chokwe when they went disco, very interesting knife, but the tip/blade is just too thin for my taste.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I didn't think that you could get up-down play with a framelock like that one. Did you giver it some heavy use or otherwise stress it?

I think my Chokwe is my smoothest-opening Spyderco.

Mine hasn't developed any blade play, but due to the thin tip I have been careful in what I cut, don't want to abuse this one. That is not a defect, I knew it was a fine tip when I ordered it, just that I am conscious of that when I use it. I don't view it as a self-defense knife .
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Mine is also my smoothest opening Spyderco. I've carried mine a fair bit and lockup has always been about 35-40%. No play in any direction whatsoever...in fact I think it has better fit and finish than any of my other Spydercos, albeit by a thin margin. If it was mine I'd definitely send it in.
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule Team (K390), Manix2 LW Black, Ulize, Chokwe
    Saver Salt, Lava (Blue G-10), 2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Titanium Damascus)

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDude View Post
    I didn't think that you could get up-down play with a framelock like that one. Did you giver it some heavy use or otherwise stress it?
    I was surprised also. I have not used it hard because I feel the tip is too thin. I don't spinewack my knives. However it is still my favorite knives.

Quote Originally Posted by rodloos View Post
    I think my Chokwe is my smoothest-opening Spyderco.

Mine hasn't developed any blade play, but due to the thin tip I have been careful in what I cut, don't want to abuse this one. That is not a defect, I knew it was a fine tip when I ordered it, just that I am conscious of that when I use it. I don't view it as a self-defense knife .
    I think my para 2 is tied with my chokwe. I also use mine just for cutting cardboard and opening packages.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    Mine is also my smoothest opening Spyderco. I've carried mine a fair bit and lockup has always been about 35-40%. No play in any direction whatsoever...in fact I think it has better fit and finish than any of my other Spydercos, albeit by a thin margin. If it was mine I'd definitely send it in.
    My lockup is about 75% which never really bothered me. The fit and finish is one of the top knives I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Don't take it apart, that voids warranty. If it's bad I'd send it in to Spyderco.

I really wanted a Chokwe when they went disco, very interesting knife, but the tip/blade is just too thin for my taste.
    If you ever end up getting one you won't regret it. The blade is thin, but as long as I don't stab it into wood I think it should be good.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Warriors and wonders has their chokwes on special right now. $120 I believe.
    Para-Military 2 satin camo, P'kal, Matriarch 2, Squeak, Endura 4, Delica 4, Jason Breeden Rescue, Orange Dodo, Dragonfly 2, Yojimbo 2, Manix 2 DLC Black, UKPK, Ulize, Lum Tanto Folder Grey, Caly 3.5, Swick 3, Bug, Grey G10 Jester, Military CPM Cru-Wear, Karahawk, Ladybug, Caly 3 Super Blue, Bradley Folder, Starmate, Ladybug Super Blue, Urban, Para-Military 2 CPM 154/S90V, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P

Bring back the A.T.R!

In complete agreement with the comments here so far. For sure, the Chokwe is one of the smoothest spyderco's I have handled. I have owned 3, but ended up parting with them. Now that they are getting harder to find, I snagged one a few weeks ago BNIB at a pretty killer price.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kwakster's Avatar
    Very nice picture btw.

I use my Chokwe from time to time in the kitchen, when my cutting services are needed and there are no useful kitchen knives.
    This is mostly the case with family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Thin blades cut better! I wouldn't want its blade any thicker. Knife, not axe.
    Newest in hand: Breeden Rescue, Dyad, Sage 3

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    Thin blades cut better! I wouldn't want its blade any thicker. Knife, not axe.
    I wouldn't mind the thickness of the blade stock, but the super thin distal tapered tip is not my thing. My Yojimbo 2 is borderline too thin in the tip for my tastes, especially being a wharnie since that's where a lot of the use happens.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I bought two when they came out from Spyderco. Paid full price because I thought they would be hard to get. Glad I did because now I wont resell them. Great knife, no matter the price since all the new knives are more expensive with a discount.