Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the chance of a K390 sprint?

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Wheels View Post
    I would say any folder utilizing K390 needs to go into an all screw construction knife so the portion's of the blade not exposed can be easily serviced. This would allow users to put oxidation preventing solutions or remove oxidation on the portion of the blade around the pivot easily.

Maybe the K390 Mule was the test run to determine its suitability for the impending Military 2 someday!
    I respectfully and amicably disagree. We've been using carbon steel blades in folders for centuries, and Spyderco has quite a few non-stainless steels in the current or recent catalog (Super Blue, M4, 3V, D2) and I don't think there have been problems that needed to be solved (or pre-empted) by disassembly. May of the Super Blue knives are in fact pinned. Just about any lubricant or products like Tuff-Glide can be dripped into the pivot joint area with great results.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I vote military. Just expect to pay a premium for the steel and machining cost. Both of which I'm fine with. K390 is quite the performer. I would personally prefer it in a larger folder to better fit my hands and needs.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Caly 3 CF K390 w/ integral compression lock
    I like your line of thinking, but this will never happen. It is likely that only US or Taiwanese produced knives could be made with K390
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I've been using my K390 mule almost exclusively for the past couple weeks.
    I have to say, I'm extremely impressed. Not impossible to sharpen (with my meager skills, that's saying something), takes a great edge, and seems to hold it forever (and then some).
    Has anyone heard anything about the chance of a sprint in this steel?
    For some reason I had an impression of K390 Native5 being in the work.
    May be this was just wishful thinking
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

I think a USA made model would be the easiest to make happen, even if it's a ways off. Can we agree on a model?

sal

my vote is for the Para 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I think most on the market for K390 would be happy with a Para 2 or Military. I think the Para 2's production line are having trouble keeping up.

Would it be a choice between K390 Military 6-8 months sooner or a K390 Para 2 6-8 months later?

As a side note that might be somewhat related, I've been itching to try that stop lock.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I think a USA made model would be the easiest to make happen, even if it's a ways off. Can we agree on a model?

sal
    I would prefer a larger blade at least. Military, Para 2, Manix 2
    I'm not picky.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Para2 is a great sprint platform. Not too big, not too small...great knife in its own right from just about every perspective...reasonable cost...nothing not to like there.

I'm so taken by the Native 5 right now that I'd nominate that as second choice.

I yield to none in my affection for the Military, but it's a relatively expensive platform.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bladewacked's Avatar
    Para 2 please!!!!!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    PM2 and Millie pretty please Sal. Start with those... N5 too

PM2 and millie would be great choice, but I would like even better a FFG endura in k390.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto
    In the wish list model list (even if I can't afford to spend more on knifes): *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral or any K390 Spyderco decide to sprint in a folder design

Spyderco Forum Registered User Coulro's Avatar

sal

Military!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User polyhexamethyl's Avatar
    i'd stick with the millie as well! but honestly if it would be a different model, i'd buy it in a heartbeat!
    austrian steel on a american made folder! wow!
    pretty please!!!
    aogami super blue dragonfly!

Military, Para 2, Manix 2, Manix XL, Stretch - any of those would make me happy. Mike

Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar

sal
    What does that leave? Yoj2, Manix, Para, Millie, Native, P'kal, and UKPK?

That'd make the para2 an easy win, but you're rather backlogged on that model. Manix might be a close second. Millies are always a smidge on the expensive side compared to other models, and they're also just much larger knives to carry. UKPK has no lock and didn't sell well, P'Kal is a bit too eclectic and not legal everywhere, Native is a lockback which turns a few people off (although you had no problem selling out every last one of the forum sprint and quite a few of us, myself included, didn't manage to catch one), and the YoJ2 isn't FFG which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Para2 is my first choice Manix2 is my second choice, and Millie is my third choice then (would prefer if it uses the bushing pivot). With any of those three in K390, I think you'd have no problem selling a sprint run and still some people who are a bit slow (like me) would be left out in the dark.

sal
    Military!!!

When I gave my answer I had no read about USA made. Manix2 get my vote!
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto
    In the wish list model list (even if I can't afford to spend more on knifes): *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral or any K390 Spyderco decide to sprint in a folder design

Spyderco Forum Registered User jtoler_9's Avatar
    FFG Manix 2 for my vote. I have a few Para 2's and a Military. Still waiting to find a Manix 2.

A Milli or Para2 would make me jump with joy.