Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the chance of a K390 sprint?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

What's the chance of a K390 sprint?

I've been using my K390 mule almost exclusively for the past couple weeks.

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed. Not impossible to sharpen (with my meager skills, that's saying something), takes a great edge, and seems to hold it forever (and then some).

Has anyone heard anything about the chance of a sprint in this steel?

I think it would be an ideal steel for a Manix 2 sprint (scandi grind would be excellent!). Or for a Bushcraft "NASA" sprint. But heck, if there's a sprint in K390, even in a knife I've never tried or don't like, I'll buy it.

Even if it never happens, I'm very happy with my Mule.

Spyderco deserves huge props for the Mule Team program.

Thanks Spyderco!

I've been pretty impressed with my K390 Mule as well. You can bet I'll buy (multiples of) any knife Spyderco produces with it .
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    i sure hope so! ive barely used my mule as i rarely need a fixed blade, and when i do i reach for my southfork a folder in that steel would be amazing
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    i sure hope so! ive barely used my mule as i rarely need a fixed blade, and when i do i reach for my southfork a folder in that steel would be amazing
    A south fork in K390 would be amazing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    A south fork in K390 would be amazing, too.
    bird n trout K390 would be my ideal fixed blade
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Coulro's Avatar
    I expect a Military in k390 would drastically decrease the amount of knives I buy

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I'm really hoping for this to happen. I'd like to see it in the Millie, PM2, Manix2, Native5...

Spencer, the Phil Wilson B&T Proto is in S90v steel and is called the Sprig. I'd love to see it in K390 as well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    I know next to nothing about this, but I wouldn't think Phil Wilson would be for that. The S90v is ok, but with K390 it would basically be his exact knife for 1/3 the cost and it might cut into his sales. Correct me if I'm wrong though
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

I don't think that Mr. Wilson stays up nights worrying about his sales volume.

Phil works with both steels and makes about 4 knives a month and is usually backlogged for a year. I cant speak for him but I think he'll be ok. Just more of his designs going to more people. Of course, the customs have the thinner grind and heat treat that the Taiwan SouthFork doesnt have.

Either will do, I just cant wait for it to get here! Still a ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    I know next to nothing about this, but I wouldn't think Phil Wilson would be for that. The S90v is ok, but with K390 it would basically be his exact knife for 1/3 the cost and it might cut into his sales. Correct me if I'm wrong though
    I'd be happy to pay his price for one of his customs. The issue is more the waiting time than the price.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Phil works with both steels and makes about 4 knives a month and is usually backlogged for a year. I cant speak for him but I think he'll be ok. Just more of his designs going to more people. Of course, the customs have the thinner grind and heat treat that the Taiwan SouthFork doesnt have.

Either will do, I just cant wait for it to get here! Still a ways off.
    Agreed, especially with the heat treat part

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Agreed, especially with the heat treat part
    Beat me to it. Phil Wilson would be totally OK with it, I think.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    The K390 Mules were/are amazing performers. I usually go for lower carbide steels but this is a truly impressive steel in a knife when prepared as Spyderco did the mules. I would love a K390 sprint of some kind. It would bring pretty intense demand and stress out those who think it won't be available to them for whatever reason. Probably a large PITA for Spyderco not only for the demands on the cutlers and engineering staff.

Yes, I'd love a Millie, or P2 in K390. It would probably set records for demand and new highs for flippers. It has that kind of feeling to it.

I'd love to see Spyderco sell it out of the SFO limit one per person. It would be an epic , giant pain for Sal though.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Contrary to a fair bit of pessimism in here regarding the possibility of this ever making it into sprint land, have there ever been any mules that had a really exotic steel that didn't make it into a sprint or production spyder? CTS B75P, Cobalt Special, and 52100 perhaps? None of them really broke ground. Most of the other mules, correct me if I'm wrong, paved the way for a sprint or production spyder in the same flavor. Cruwear, M390, XHP, etc. Why bother teasing us with a steel in a mule and then not ever put it into some form of production?

Additionally, in business, money talks. Given the response to K390, and how dealers are now clambering for exclusives in exotic steels, I can only imagine its simply a matter of time until someone decides to do a run in them.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    Contrary to a fair bit of pessimism in here regarding the possibility of this ever making it into sprint land, have there ever been any mules that had a really exotic steel that didn't make it into a sprint or production spyder? CTS B75P, Cobalt Special, and 52100 perhaps? None of them really broke ground. Most of the other mules, correct me if I'm wrong, paved the way for a sprint or production spyder in the same flavor. Cruwear, M390, XHP, etc. Why bother teasing us with a steel in a mule and then not ever put it into some form of production?

Additionally, in business, money talks. Given the response to K390, and how dealers are now clambering for exclusives in exotic steels, I can only imagine its simply a matter of time until someone decides to do a run in them.
    Very good points sir

-Spencer

Great thread, I wanted to start this very topic.

Its def gonna be a madhouse if K390 sprints come through... But that can be viewed as a good thing. There will be demand and Spyderco should capitalize on it. I'll tell you what, I'm not missing out. Just have to beat flippers at their own game. Spyderco can help a bit by producing a larger quantity but K390 isn't the easiest to work with.

Of course, Im never satsified and would like to see a K294 Mule as well

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post

I wouldn't say it is teasing but a market test combined with a manufacturing/production test for their facility. I would guess the only thing keeping Spyderco from doing it would be if it was impossible to work with in production. It didn't seem so, it was announced and we had our Mules shortly after. Nothing like some of the other waits due to rumored difficulties with getting the steel right (green Para 2 anyone?)

Caly 3 CF K390 w/ integral compression lock

I would say any folder utilizing K390 needs to go into an all screw construction knife so the portion's of the blade not exposed can be easily serviced. This would allow users to put oxidation preventing solutions or remove oxidation on the portion of the blade around the pivot easily.

Maybe the K390 Mule was the test run to determine its suitability for the impending Military 2 someday!
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10