Thread: New Zealand Knife Laws?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

New Zealand Knife Laws?

Is anyone here a Kiwi?

I'm looking, specifically, to find out if the new generation Kiwi (locking) will be legal to carry in New Zealand.

I was thinking of gifting a Kiwi to a friend of mine, who is, appropriately, a Kiwi. But I like the looks of the next generation a lot more than the last one, so I'd rather wait and give him one of those if he can legally use it at home.

Can anyone tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Is anyone here a Kiwi?

I'm looking, specifically, to find out if the new generation Kiwi (locking) will be legal to carry in New Zealand.

I was thinking of gifting a Kiwi to a friend of mine, who is, appropriately, a Kiwi. But I like the looks of the next generation a lot more than the last one, so I'd rather wait and give him one of those if he can legally use it at home.

Can anyone tell me?
    To answer your question simply, yes, you can ship your friend a kiwi and he can carry and use it, can certainly do as he pleases in his own home.

The long answer is that in law, one cannot possess a knife in a public place, without a reasonable excuse. Law tends to be applied to the individual and the circumstances rather than the knife itself.
    Carry for utility is a reasonable excuse, but carry for self defence is not, nor do you want to be intoxicated or find yourself in other trouble, whilst in possession of a knife.

Common sense goes a long way here, if you're just going about your business, being sensible and considerate of others (knifeophobics), you won't have any trouble with the law.
    Last edited by w3tnz; 12-09-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarify, hopefully

So you cannot defend yourself with your knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Depends on the cop .

I have had a good yarn with a cop who was investigating after a burglary at out house, said that I liked knife making and had more than a few folders, he was pretty impressed by the blades haha.

A cop told me you can do what you want, just don't carry in town, , though a lot of people have multitools on their key chain in town, but who threats over one of them? I see women with little gerber key chain knives on their keys.
    I still carry anyway, but I try not to carry anything too large... I carry a dfly if I remember, but 90 percent of the time I carry what ever I would usually have.

Eric m. Nope. If I were jumped, I would rather get beaten nearly to death fighting with my fists and get critically injured for 2 months than critically wound the attackers and be stuck in a cell for several years. It's the criminal over the innocent guy in some cases here.

AFAIK there isn't a clear knife law, I've heard that you can carry anything less than 4inches, and I have heard that you can carry what you want but not in town.

The kiwi will be fine.
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Caly 3.5 Superblue- Dragonfly H1 SE- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer
    Inbound: Curtiss Nano- Zero Tolerance 0777

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    So you cannot defend yourself with your knife?
    No that's not entirely correct, you can't carry for the sole purpose of SD, but of course you have the right to defend yourself, using reasonable force and proving that in court comes into play however, using a knife against an unarmed thug would be on you to justify.

Trav that bold above is quoted from law.

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by w3tnz View Post
    No that's not entirely correct, you can't carry for the sole purpose of SD, but of course you have the right to defend yourself, using reasonable force and proving that in court comes into play however, using a knife against an unarmed thug would be on you to justify.

Trav that bold above is quoted from law.
    That's the only part I remember. But it's not all that reinforced... At least here... I think... ..... Lol

I think I could get out of it pretty easy
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Caly 3.5 Superblue- Dragonfly H1 SE- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer
    Inbound: Curtiss Nano- Zero Tolerance 0777