Thread: Anyone ever tried to make a thumb hole bigger?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Anyone ever tried to make a thumb hole bigger?

I was just daydreaming about how I would love my Yojimbo 2 to have a larger thumb hole. My gut feeling is that it would get jacked up if I tried, considering how hard the steel is, but has anyone ever tried? What did you use?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User willydigger's Avatar
    I did with a holed custom. It was 1095. I used a Dremel and the carbide bit to cut away the steel and then finished it with a large grit cone. Turned out fine. I've never done a Spyderco, but I would expect it to be the same. You could also try a drill bit, but it would have to be aligned pretty close IMO. I tried a drill bit first and it was a mess. Good luck.
    Swick3 Blue Lava Orange Dodo Persistence Foliage Smallfly
    No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 Sage 1 PM2 Techno Cat S30V G10 Custom Orange FRN Dragonfly Native 5 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    With hardened S30V it would be difficult, but not impossible. I'm thinking a carbide mill chucked up on a milling machine with a very low feed rate, a good machinist, and lots of lubricant. Using a HSS drill would be useless and destructive

If you used the original holes center point that thinnest part of the spine would become even thinner, adjusting the center lower would make it even more difficult as the forces on the tool would be asymetric. EDM might work better, but I bet that's more expensive.

A good machinist (I am not a a machinist!) might post back with a more profesional and informed opinion But I do know hardened steel is a PITA to machine. Hardened steel parts that have to be reworked are always a real pain
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    It's going to be very difficult and your chance of leaving a crisp, finger biting edge, is pretty low. At least for my equipment and skill level .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Yeah I don't plan on trying it, it was just an idea.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Based on my experiences enlarging holes in the tang of an MT01, it will not be easy and you probably won't wind up with a terribly attractive final result.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I sharpen my holes with large diamond bits on the Dremel. Just keep going round and round with even pressure. Switch positions with your holding hand and the knife to make sure it's even. It raises burrs on both sides you have to remove. Should work for enlarging, too.
    - best wishes, Jazz.