Thread: Removing Ticks from Flesh?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Removing Ticks from Flesh?

There are wood ticks and there are deer ticks and I know Lyme Disease is carried by deer ticks, a very nasty disease. I know two people who have been permanently affected by it.

What are some good methods you all know about removing ticks safely? I know there are tweezers and you have to be careful so the head will not break off. I was told you can use a lighted match or lighter and when exposed to the tick, the tick will extricate itself on its own. Is this true?

What are some other methods?

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    My wife says hairspray works, but I haven't personally tested this method. I haven't had one attached to me in years, luckily!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Our dog picked up ticks frequently and our son loves to be in the woods, so I can tell you that in our experience nothing beats a good pair of tweezers. I'm not a fan of holding open flame to skin and the petroleum jelly method (covering the tick and waiting for it to die) doesn't work either as it just makes the tick more difficult to remove because they still won't back out.

We've also tried tick twisters that you can buy in pet stores and they've never worked for us either.

Bottom line is that it must be fully removed and tweezers with a solid grip, as close to the skin as you can get and a quick tug is the best method, at least in our experience.

I have pair that I purchased from County Comm and the tips are very sharp, precisely ground and they work very well for tick removal.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Nail polish remover or vicks vapor rub. Wait about ten minutes and then try to pull with tweezers if they haven't let go already! My wife has had lyme disease for about 4 years now, and believe me you don"t want it!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sequimite's Avatar
    I used tweezers (past tense - haven't seen a tick since moving to Sequim) but found quick pulling to break off the head too often. Firm grip and medium constant pull until it lets go have worked for me.
    Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
    - William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897

I had one on a very private part earlier in the Summer and I just sat in a tub of warm water for about thirty or forty minutes .When I got out I just gently pulled on with my fingernails and it turned loose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    These are the best I've used for humans (not as good on dogs and cats).
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OTOM-TICK-...item3a7929663e
    They come in a pack with 2 different sizes so they work well on large and small ticks.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Knivesinedc's Avatar
    The tweezers close as you can to the head with a medium pull works well, but never burn the tick!! The heat will cause the tick to throw up inside of you and give a highly increased chance of lyme disease. also the body could just fall of and leave the head lodged in your flesh causing the ticks fluids to run into your body. it sounds just lovely doesnt it??
    Our Freedom, you want it, Come and take it.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    What if the bad thing happens and the head of the tick breaks off inside your skin? Are there methods of dealing with that?

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuckd's Avatar
    http://www.tickedoff.com/

work pretty dang well.
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

Cannot tell, but from the video it could have just decapitated the tick, leaving the head inside the dog's skin!

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuckd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Cannot tell, but from the video it could have just decapitated the tick, leaving the head inside the dog's skin!
    The spoon? I haven't watched the video or anything so I'm not sure ha. But if it is the tick spoon you are talking about then I must say that I and many coworkers have used them to remove ticks of all species and life stages.
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

I just use my thumbnail and when I pull it off I make sure there is a little flap of skin that comes with it. Knife blade works if it is dull.
    1) Ticks have no anal vent so if you flame them they regurgitate into you - that's a problem.
    2) You need to watch the area in the case of a deer tick to see if a bullseye appears.
    3) Use prevention- deet on the pants cuff and a tick check will help a great deal. If you have pets check them for grapes

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I have such a loathing for ticks I have tried most methods to get one out. typically I just use my fingers and have never had an issue. if I have feared infection I lean toward peroxide a little prodding with a knife tip or fire, or some combination thereof. I tend to incinerate ticks with a small torch lighter if plausible.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Probably not the end all source for information, but here is what the CDC says.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

I heard dish soap works but never tried it.

Wow great method. Thanks for sharing!

I second the O'TOM Tick Twister. My vet sells them at the clinic and they work very well. We use them on the dogs and on ourselves and we have never had a tick's head come off using this tool. The key is to twist the tick counter-clockwise. Apparently they bore into your skin with a clockwise rotation. By going the other way they are easily removed. We have tried every other method known to man and the Tick Twister is the only consistently good way to remove a tick. Its a life saver.

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I haven't had a tick on me for probably 20 years, but all this talk of heads getting stuck in your skin, I would seriously carve out a dimple in my skin to get it out. Screw all that.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Thanks.. Ordered one.. Looks like a winner!! Thnak you!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!