Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spyderhole annoyance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    OK, that makes sense, but it is odd that the Techno, which because of it's size is harder to open and has a smooth hole, and the GB which opens like butter, has a sharp hole.
    If I remember correctly, Gayle Bradley designed his knife to be used with work gloves in mind, so the sharper hole edge makes sense, as it is designed to catch easier when opened with a gloved finger.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    You just need more callous in your life. Toughen up that thumb.

I had a sharp edge on my Tuff spyderhole, and so I took the sharpmaker medium stone and put it at an anglein the hole and rotated it around and it did the trick pretty decently.
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard.

Spydernation #1990

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    I.find that its harder to keep edges sharp than dulling them. Same with the hole edges.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I'm surprised to hear of current production models where the Spyderhole does not have a crisp/sharp edge. Sal has said, more than once, that the perimeter of the Spyderhole is left crisp/sharp intentionally and is done to provide maximum traction for the thumb. It makes sense, given that it's really simple to chamfer the Spyderhole's perimeter a bit if you don't like it crisp, but would be damn near impossible for someone looking for maximum traction to "crisp up" a chamfered one.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Easier to take material away to dull the spyderhole edge than make one sharp.

Spyderco Forum Registered User sinkerslider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I know I can modify it, just was wondering why some are finished and some are left sharp.

I have a Cricket SE that is my office job EDC. The inside of the Spyderhole even had a protrusion that will catch a gloved finger. Doesn't bother me since I live in California and gloves are illegal. (Sarcasm alert.....CA has great weather....we don't need no stinking gloves)
    You're not modifying it as much as just knocking the edge off with the stone. Visually you won't even be able to tell.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I over tightened a pivot before on a sharper stlye Spyderhole and did draw blood. So I loosened the pivot just a bit and carried it on my left side until I healed up. Usually it is not an issue for me either way.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I like them sharper. I have big ass thumbs and they grip the holes better, especially on the wee ones, like Ladybugs. If they're not sharp enough, I make them that way. Spyderco tries to find a happy medium, as Sal has said, but we can't all be pleased. I'm just glad they're not chamfered like the old days. Less chance you're gonna slip off the hole like a thumbstub with the sharper holes.
    I'm with you and I have smallerish hands hehe.

See? Even our holes are sharper than their edges.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    See? Even our holes are sharper than their edges.
    I should put that on a t-shirt for you Chuck.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I should put that on a t-shirt for you Chuck.
    Hehehe.

Harumph! I checked the hole on my Delica, and my DragonFly, and the Delica has sharp edge on my thumb side, but chamfered on the other side. The DragonFly hole is sharp on both sides. I have delicate thimbs, but the purchase with the hole is just fine.

Hi Wheelin,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thanks Sal. Both my Delica and DragonFly are early models bought dierectly from Spyderco. I received a free Green Jester as appreciation for the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin View Post
    Thanks Sal. Both my Delica and DragonFly are early models bought dierectly from Spyderco. I received a free Green Jester as appreciation for the purchase.
    Now that's customer appreciation. I've purchased at least a half dozen Spydies this past month; anyone want to toss a jester my way?

-remnar
    Last edited by remnar; 12-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.

The way I heard it explained here (Sal I believe) said that crisp, sharp edges was a sign of a good maker and that's what they strive for. I prefer the comfort of smooth edges but there's no dispute a sharp edge is more effective at gripping flesh.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I.find that its harder to keep edges sharp than dulling them. Same with the hole edges.
    True. Any sharp edges break with use.
    All edges on all Spyderholes of my knives are good. They do their job perfectly.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters