Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyderhole annoyance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar

Spyderhole annoyance.

So the Spyderhole on my Techno is nice and smooth/chamfered and the Gayle Bradley is sharp....not cutting sharp, but it just feels unfinished unlike the Techno is. Also, most of my Spydies are hit and miss in this area.

I know I am nitpicking, but I am waiting for the wife to get her ass out of bed so we can do our run.....then I can get drunk and watch football.
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    I've yet to have any issues with any Spyderholes, but my hands are rough and dry all the time so I don't feel hardly any cutting or digging into them until it gets to the point of blood being drawn. All I can say is polish it yourself, or simply get used to it.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    If you have a Sharpmaker, run part of the edge around the inside of the Spyderhole to take the edge off.

Quote Originally Posted by jackthedog View Post
    If you have a Sharpmaker, run part of the edge around the inside of the Spyderhole to take the edge off.
    I know I can modify it, just was wondering why some are finished and some are left sharp.

I have a Cricket SE that is my office job EDC. The inside of the Spyderhole even had a protrusion that will catch a gloved finger. Doesn't bother me since I live in California and gloves are illegal. (Sarcasm alert.....CA has great weather....we don't need no stinking gloves)
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I like them sharper. I have big ass thumbs and they grip the holes better, especially on the wee ones, like Ladybugs. If they're not sharp enough, I make them that way. Spyderco tries to find a happy medium, as Sal has said, but we can't all be pleased. I'm just glad they're not chamfered like the old days. Less chance you're gonna slip off the hole like a thumbstub with the sharper holes.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I like them sharper. I have big ass thumbs and they grip the holes better, especially on the wee ones, like Ladybugs. If they're not sharp enough, I make them that way. Spyderco tries to find a happy medium, as Sal has said, but we can't all be pleased. I'm just glad they're not chamfered like the old days. Less chance you're gonna slip off the hole like a thumbstub with the sharper holes.
    My thoughts too.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

OK, that makes sense, but it is odd that the Techno, which because of it's size is harder to open and has a smooth hole, and the GB which opens like butter, has a sharp hole.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    It's possible the differences are specified by the various designers, or it may be thay they do things differently at the various facilities. Most of the Taichung spydies I've owned have had really sharp holes with the exceptions being the Techno and Southard. It's possible that those two start out sharp and the smooth holes are just a byproduct of the stonewashing process.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I like mine sharp. Make it so it'll cut my thumb, and then just back it off a little bit.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I like it sharp. Maybe it has to do with the blade of the Techno being Stonewashed.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Yes, I'm sure the stonewashing softens them.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before that Spydie holes are on the sharp side by design. Also, as has been mentioned, the Techno/Southard are only so smooth due to stonewashing.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

I much prefer the Spyderhole to be chamfered and all my Gen-1's are nicely done. I never have found any problems with getting a grip or slipping and have fairly large thumbs . I had a Gen 3 Delica(since sold it)which had an extremely sharp hole. I also was experimenting opening it with the clip removed and that really made it cut even more. I do a lot of practice repetitions opening and closing for self-defense/MBC and sharp edges that draw blood are jut not acceptable to me.

Jeez, guys. I regularly sit and play with my Spydies, and I've never drawn blood. Sure, my finger was sore the first day I got my Yojimbo, because of the strong detent, but definitely no blood!

I like them sharp, but I can see why one wouldn't. A simple fix would be to take some fine sandpaper wrapped around a marble and just work it in the spydie hole until you're satisfied with the degree of sharpness.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I like mine sharp. Make it so it'll cut my thumb, and then just back it off a little bit.
    Heh, heh! I like that, David! This would mean that the inside of a spydie hole has a 90 degree bevel, or 45 degrees per side. That wouldn't be a "slicing demon" by any stretch of the imagination!

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    It's possible the differences are specified by the various designers, or it may be thay they do things differently at the various facilities. Most of the Taichung spydies I've owned have had really sharp holes with the exceptions being the Techno and Southard. It's possible that those two start out sharp and the smooth holes are just a byproduct of the stonewashing process.
    I have found the same to be true with my Taichung Spydies. They are much sharper than my knives produced elsewhere. I find that their holes will shave the thumbnail of my right hand. I don't like them that sharp, but it makes clipping my nails 10% faster.

-remnar

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Heck, the top edge on the side of the spine on my Vallotton will probably cut you if you tried.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I like it sharp. Maybe it has to do with the blade of the Techno being Stonewashed.
    Yes, I'm sure the stonewashing softens them.
    I agree it is likely the finish
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    i wasnt to big of a fan when i got my first taiwan model, but now i prefer it to the duller feel of the USA and Japan models
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer