Thread: Endura 4 really does endure

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Endura 4 really does endure

I purchased an Endura 4 FFG, VG10, FRN Black plain edge about 6 months ago. This is my second knife purchase that I didn't buy from a corner store. I have about 50 knives in total and had a big problem spending more than 15-20 bucks on a knife. Most of the other knives I own are 440a stainless steel and for the longest time that has suited my needs just fine.

Then the spider bit me. I broke down and bought my Endura 4 and couldn't be happier. I got a Kershaw Brawler for Christmas last year and thought that was an astounding knife. Once I got my Endura, it was all downhill from there.

Now I never leave my bedroom without my Endura in my pocket. I didn't think that a Spyderco could be that much better than any of the other blades I have, but I was truly mistaken. I cant say I will never buy another corner store special, but I will never consider one as my EDC.

This knife is awesome, yes it does inspire awe and wonder. The factory edge lasted for several months of use cutting cardboard at my job. I used a Lansky Sharpening System to put a 30 deg, with a 17 deg back edge. I can go a week at work, using my knife every single day, and still shave the hair on my arm. After that week I touch it up on a strop and am good another week.

I never would have imagined that VG-10 would be so much better than 440, but boy is it ever. I even dropped it outside one night when it rained. PANICKED when I woke I searched everywhere. Once I found it I almost cried because I thought surely the metal would have corroded or pitted, but alas, there wasn't so much as a hint of rust. I even checked with a 14x jewelers loop.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely easier to put a razor edge on some of my other knives, but the edge retention on the VG-10 is simply amazing. It took a while to get used to a knife not having a thumb stud, but the Spidey hole is great. I can't find so much as one thing to complain about with this knife. I havent had to so much as tighten any of the screws, even the belt clip which I re-positioned!

The next knife I want to get I want to try the zdp-189 with g10 scales, possibly the military which has s30v, but it is a bigger knife and I like that. Plus who doesnt like camo?

THANK YOU SPYDERCO!
    Endura 4 FRN FFG VG-10

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    Welcome to the entrance of the Spyderco rabbit-hole...
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Manix 2 (LW S110V, M4, Cruwear), Gayle Bradley, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Forum Native 5, Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Try the native 5 s110v and you'll be in love. I had the chance a friend of my let me use it for a whole week and this is one nice knife! I haven't use many spydies yet, but that s110v and my 2 ZDP bringed me to love spydies over almost any other knife. Welcome in the group Skoalart!
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    IMO Spyderco has better naterials and thought in design for the price than any of the competitors Happy your Endura is working well for you VG-10 is good stuff
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Great knife, great knives, welcome to the forum... and good luck resisting more, especially if you like to look at everyone's pictures, like me.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    The Endura is in my EDC rotation more than any of my other Spydies. The ZDP being my favorite.
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a paramilitary 2 is in your future...

Spyderco Forum Registered User setldown's Avatar
    welcome sloalart

Name:  down the rabbit.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  51.6 KB
    Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! Once you are into Spyderco, no other knives seem to make the cut.

And so it begins...

Welcome to the forum. I feel the Endura really offers a lot of cutting value for the money. There are other Spyderco's I like even more, but they tend to cost more. In terms of sheer quality and value, the Endura is hard to beat. If you want a little variety, try the Endura in ZDP 189 or Super Blue steel they are both terrific.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Welcome, me hardy, arrrrrr!
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Nice first post. Welcome to the forum. I love my Enduras.

As far as I know, there are no production knives in ZDP and G-10.

nutnfancy on youtube accidentally left either his Endura or Delica outside in the snow one night and made a video about how it didn't rust.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker. Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User JAfromMN's Avatar

I edc a endura 4 to work 9 out of 10 days.

I don't think there is a knife made id trade my fully serrated zdp endura for.
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Black Native fs,Delica 4 fs,ZDP 189 Endura fs, Manix 2 XL ,Pegasus ss fs,Endura 3 ss fs,Endura 4 ffg, 701 mf, Spyderwrench, Dyad Jr, manix 2 lwt

Get used to an empty wallet! But you will still have a smile on your face!

Love the Endura. Gave mine to a friend over a year ago. I miss that knife but it when to a good home.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. I easily see my next purchase as a Spyderco. The part that sucks the most is I love firearms as well. I generally buy 1 decent gun a year with my tax refund. Glad my refund this year is much bigger than last years. Spyderco Military and Custom AR here I come!
    Endura 4 FRN FFG VG-10

Sorry to double post, but I forgot to say that nutnfancy's review was a major factor in my buying the endura 4. I just watched his review of leaving the endura in the snow overnight. Probably wouldn't have worried as much had I seen that sooner.
    Endura 4 FRN FFG VG-10

Hi Skoalart,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your kind words.

sal