Thread: What are your thoughts on CTS BD1?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

What are your thoughts on CTS BD1?

I just traded for a manix LW black. From the feel I think it's going to be a great EDC blade. I know BD1 has been out for a bit. What are your thoughts on the steel? I'll be putting it through the paces soon enough but just courious what all you think.

I can't say bad things about it.

It just cuts... It gets reasonably sharp... It stays sharp for a while... It's easy to sharpen...

A good every day steel I think.

Nico.
    I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF

Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    I like it, for what is it. Don't expect crazy edge retention of course, but it's easy to sharpen, easy to keep sharp, and I think it can achieve a VERY sharp edge. Right around 30 degrees and finished with some aggressive stropping it's really, really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

Enjoy your edges folks

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    I have the exact same knife and have put it through a lot of use - it came with me on my most recent military stint (in Singapore we all serve part time to the age of at least 40) and was really excellent. Very sharp and DURABLE edge cutting all sorts of things from rope and cord to clear plastic sheeting, opening combat ration boxes etc. VERY stainless - was in the field for several days with the knife clipped in a sweaty pocket and not the slightest corrosion issue. It is easy to get sharp but requires a little bit of effort to get it really razor sharp - you need to take your time and go slowly on the sharpmaker white stones. But it can be done.

You've chosen an outstanding knife!
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Can BD-1 steel replace VG-10, or is Spyderco just looking for a good American steel to substitute for 440C?

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Can BD-1 steel replace VG-10, or is Spyderco just looking for a good American steel to substitute for 440C?
    BD-1 is a US version of GIN-1, which was once upon a time the standard steel for Japanese-made Spydercos, before being replaced by ATS-34, ATS-55, and finally VG-10. Why would they go backwards for anything but a low budget knife?
    Newest in hand: Breeden Rescue, Dyad, Sage 3

BD-1 steel is used presently in the Golden, CO. manix frcp knife! Just wondering about how BD-1 compares with VG-10 and if Spyderco needs a good quality american blade steel, considering the rising prices of raw materials!

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    BD-1 steel is used presently in the Golden, CO. manix frcp knife! Just wondering about how BD-1 compares with VG-10 and if Spyderco needs a good quality american blade steel, considering the rising prices of raw materials!
    Sal mentioned in an interview that they are using BD-1 as their entry level steel on US-made knives, and that they had Carpenter create this version of GIN-1 specifically so that they could use a US steel on their US knives.

In my opinion BD-1 and VG-10 are quite similar in performance - I find VG-10 somewhat easier to sharpen, but I prefer the feel of BD-1, especially when it comes to the smoothness of the inside of the opening hole. VG-10 has that wonderfully fine grain structure, BD-1 has a more toothy feel to it. Corrosion resistance on both is excellent.
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

I love VG-10 as it's my favorite steel. The item I traded for this knife finally showed up to his door so I can finally use it. I just convexed the edge to 600 grit and a light stropping. Can't wait til morning to test this steel out cause I'm aready impressed with the knife.

I also love VG-10! I'm just wondering if spyderco was planning to replace it with this new BD-1 steel! Thankyou all!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I also love VG-10! I'm just wondering if spyderco was planning to replace it with this new BD-1 steel! Thankyou all!
    VG10 is used on the Japanese models. BD1 was brought in to replace GIN1 on the American knives.

You won't see it used with any knives from Japan as they prefer to work with their own foundries. You may see it on knives from China, Taiwan, and of course Golden.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I have to say that from my use of it on my ukpk lightweight...that my opinion of BD1 is....Meh. It's ok. It does sharpen easily. But I don't find the edge retention all that great, especially compared to vg-10. And find it especially poor once one becomes used to carrying a knife with the many super steels that Spyderco offers.
    On the hunt for...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    I have to say that from my use of it on my ukpk lightweight...that my opinion of BD1 is....Meh. It's ok. It does sharpen easily. But I don't find the edge retention all that great, especially compared to vg-10. And find it especially poor once one becomes used to carrying a knife with the many super steels that Spyderco offers.

I can see that. I would compare it to H1, MOV13, 420HC, 440c. I'm not a steel junkie so I think it will be great for my EDC needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    +1 on this. It does the job but isn't close to a VG-10 replacement in my opinion.

Could this be an eventual replacement for 8Cr13MoV used in mainland Chinese manufactured knives? Maybe that would be a more fair comparison than against VG10?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Could this be an eventual replacement for 8Cr13MoV used in mainland Chinese manufactured knives? Maybe that would be a more fair comparison than against VG10?
    Last we heard Sal was working on getting some Carpenter steel over for the Spydie Chinese line. I don't think Byrd but the Tenacious family. I recall this was BD1 .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

That's good news for me because I think corrosion resistance of 8Cr13MoV bladed knives could be improved upon with BD-1! That would keep the prices on their chinese made knives low! To use VG10 would push prices into the Delica/Endura/Stretch range! Any thoughts?

Many would love a Tenacious in a higher end steel but it's meant to be an intro low price high performance knife.