Thread: Cheap Synthetic Body Parts and Personal Replicators: Societal Effects

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Cheap Synthetic Body Parts and Personal Replicators: Societal Effects

[SIZE=3]Was thinking again about this...there is no law of of physics against the ability to produce synthetic body parts to replace all functioning parts, except perhaps the human brain..and there is debate on that. The known laws of chemistry and physics also show it is possible to build self-replicating machines such as a personal replicator foundry that can assemble any chemically-stable structure you want, from atoms and molecular parts. Knives, clothes, computers, chairs, tables, you name it. Ultimately, and while it would be harder to do..even food could be produced this way.

The same machines can produce steel strong paper thin dirt cheap solar cells and fuel cells..so energy no longer becomes a problem.

Take those three technologies, and add them to the human race as is. What happens? How will people react and integrate these things into their lives?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    If you are asking if I would volunteer to undergo the process to have an adamantium skeleton and claws put into me with the genetic mutation of accelerated healing factor, then yes. For science I would become the wolverine.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Science has always fought morality on some level, which is interesting because typically that moral code is linked to specific religions (ie "playing god/gods/God" or whatever) or political stances rather than a universal perspective.

Prosthetic limbs, pacemakers, pinned/braced bones, vaccines, steroids, antibiotics, and many other examples are either introducing foreign objects or formulated medicines to cure the body. Mobile technology such as smart phones and Google Glass is essentially cyborg'ing the human race as well.

If they could synthetize a fully functioning heart or brain and extend human life significantly it would be in-line (in my opinion) with past advancements. Even eliminating things prior to birth such as degenerative diseases or susceptibility would be theoretically for the good of the species. That said, once you start extending human life by multiple times, like 500 years, and overpopulation turns into a pandemic there are other cultural issues at play. Plus of course the tendency to weaponize anything we can and I doubt the human pysche can survive 500 years of very well. A bunch of unstable stronger-than-normal people can't be a good thing.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    At some point bionic limbs will become a reality. Once the science and technology advance to the point that a normally functioning arm with articulate fingers can be created that can rival the dexterity of the real thing, you will start seeing people take on these replacements on purpose. By this point it may even get so far that you won't know the difference at a glance. Then it won't be "so and so baseball player got busted using steroids", it'll be "so and so baseball player got busted playing with bionic arms".

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Mankind, as a whole, has always believed that man is the measure of all things! The universe revolves around him and he is accountable to no-one except his own conscience! Man was created to live forever initially, but rebellion and sin entered and therefore death! Lifespans were reduced to place limitations on what man would do, and on what he would eventually become living apart from his creator!(let us eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die) Man is looking for the fountain of youth through science, trying to preserve their natural lives/quality of life by any means necessary! Look at the Nazi regime-scientific research gone to extremes all for a master race to control everyone else, at the cost of others! Man left to himself will destroy himself all in the name of science! Make science your "god" and eventually humanity will cease to exist! Thank The LORD he is not going to let that happen!!! The preaching has ended, for now!

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Mankind, as a whole, has always believed that man is the measure of all things! The universe revolves around him and he is accountable to no-one except his own conscience! Man was created to live forever initially, but rebellion and sin entered and therefore death! Lifespans were reduced to place limitations on what man would do, and on what he would eventually become living apart from his creator!(let us eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die) Man is looking for the fountain of youth through science, trying to preserve their natural lives/quality of life by any means necessary! Look at the Nazi regime-scientific research gone to extremes all for a master race to control everyone else, at the cost of others! Man left to himself will destroy himself all in the name of science! Make science your "god" and eventually humanity will cease to exist! Thank The LORD he is not going to let that happen!!! The preaching has ended, for now!
    Dang bro, I really don't think I would lump bionic prosthetic limbs into the same category as Auschwitz and the Nazis. You're comparing religious genocide to advancing medical science.

~David

Just taking things to a higher level! Nothing wrong with prosthetic limbs but the post was not just about prosthetic limbs! Cloning body parts and growing organs in a laboratory, cryogenic freezing, etc., all on the premise that science can and will solve all human problems and obstacles, is man trying to become his own god, whether you realize it or not!

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Science has always...If they could synthetize a fully functioning heart or brain and extend human life significantly.
    Just remember, these are the same scientists who've brought you life ending medications (Statins anyone?) and GMO grains. I'll pass.

Give me organic locally grown fruits and veggies. I'll live my life. Then I'll die.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Ken

(PS - I'll pass on the ID chip too!)
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Just taking things to a higher level! Nothing wrong with prosthetic limbs but the post was not just about prosthetic limbs! Cloning body parts and growing organs in a laboratory, cryogenic freezing, etc., all on the premise that science can and will solve all human problems and obstacles <insert here>, is man trying to become his own god, whether you realize it or not!
    I actually agree with eric here with one addition 'and create obscene corporate profits'

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    At some point bionic limbs will become a reality.
    Main problem is that bionic limbs can't re-create "feel."

Something many diabetics suffer from, especially in regards to their feet.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

No need to create feel if you are building terminators or universal soldiers!!! Feeling is a detriment to killing!

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Main problem is that bionic limbs can't re-create "feel."

Something many diabetics suffer from, especially in regards to their feet.
    Oh I'm sure on a long enough timeline, technology will find a fix for that too.

~David

Like, say, a couple more billion years on the evolutionary scale of man!(Puddle to Paradise) Fairytale for grownups!