Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restroom horror story

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Restroom horror story

So, I'm at work doing my business, my iPod cord snagged the clip on my Yo 2...pulling it out of my pocket and sending it flying towards a well used porcelain throne. Luckily my ninja reflexes saved the day and I literally caught it about level with the lid.

So that got me thinking. How far would you go to retrieve your knife?

Me, I love this knife. It would be pretty gross but I would have went after it. It's nothing that soapy water and a bath in peroxide and alcohol wouldn't fix.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    You listen to tunes on the throne? I would go in after my knife if it fell into something nasty. It might be smelly and nasty, but a toilet is probably cleaner than a lot of surfaces we touch during the day. Washing your hands is easy after something like that, I would actually be more worried about getting the knife clean.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    It depends on the knife. If its a Spyderco...I would go to extreme lenghths to retrieve it. What if you dropped your favorite Spydie into a sewer grate..and there was the possibility of nasty rats down there..and youd be reaching into their area...ugh!

Or snakes for that matter!

If its an issue of nasty substances like human waste..I would do it, to get the knife, and then scrub and cleanse my hands and the knife like no tomorrow, afterwards.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I'd go noodling thru some pretty nasty stuff to retrieve a lost spydie. As long as it wasn't life threatening.

(David, when I first read your thread title I was imagining this was another dream you had.)
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    I had the same thing happen with an Iphone, thank god it was in an otter case. The phone survived, and I had successfully blocked that memory from my mind until this thread... So yes, although I prefer not to think about it if the situation presented itself, I am sure I would suit up, wade in and chase it down.
    Last edited by DRKBC; 12-05-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Although such a retrieval operation would never be necessary, given my method of carry, it's also one I'm always prepared to handle. Thanks to Bear, there's always a couple plastic bags in my pocket. On a different note, back when I was working, I had a co-worker who drown three agency issued Blackberries that way in one year.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Although such a retrieval operation would never be necessary, given my method of carry
    Can you elaborate on your method of carry?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    No clip, deep in the pocket IIRC
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    Loose, in my left back pocket. Been carrying that way for 60 years, never had one fall out yet.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I would do whatever was possible to retrieve the knife.

I had a friend that dropped his knive into a masonry wall at a construction site- no way to retrieve it without tearing out the wall and he couldn't do that so the knife is probably still there to this day.

There is that old joke about the guy that drops a $1 bill into the latrine. He looks at it for a minute, then pulls out his wallet and throws a $20 on top of the $1. Then he reaches in and grabs both of them. Someone is watching and asks why he threw in the $20. He says "you didn't think I was going to reach in there for just $1 did you?"

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    I know of a guy who lost his strider in the toilet...... He retrieved it and just cleaned it obsessively.............Ill try find it
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Shirogorov Hati - Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego- Curtiss F3 3.5"
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 (thanks USPS for losing it )

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    ANd personally if its a sub 50 dollar knife... il just let it mellow
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Shirogorov Hati - Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego- Curtiss F3 3.5"
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 (thanks USPS for losing it )

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    bdblue, great story! You can't just flush a knife down the toilet and think it will magically disappear! About 15 years ago my step-son thought as long as you flush the toilet the mustache trimmer would just go away! After a $100 plumber bill he found out otherwise! You have no option in this case-you have to get it out of the toilet before flushing!!!

No, I don't listen to my iPod on the throne, I was at work and had it down my shirt/in my pocket. I saw it coming too, which is a big part of why I was able to catch it.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I would go in after it, but 1st I would make sure the coast was clear and no one was in there to watch. Of course my luck someone would walk in as I has making my way to the sink, image the new office nicknames that might come of it.
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Well... if it was at home and I left the knife in the toilet, I'd end up unclogging it at some point - which is a much messier operation. I'd dive right in and fish it out. That's why they invented disinfectant.

Speaking of diving into toilets - has everyone seen the toilet scene from Trainspotting with Ewan McGregor? It takes this topic to a *whole 'nother level*.

TedP

I've actually never seen that movie, though I see it on Netflix all the time. I am however a big Ewan McGregor fan, after watching his documentaries about riding around the world on motorcycles. He seems like a real genuine nice guy and someone who'd be fun to hang out with.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Depending on the knife, I'd happily fish it out of stuffed up toilet.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    I'd go as far as what the knife is worth... Decently expensive rod/reel combo(Daiwa 50th edition zillion with ize cork handles, zillion rod) I had went overboard a few years back, 12' water with zero visibility. 2 hours of dredging with weights and hooks finally retrieved it.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Depending on the knife, I'd happily fish it out of stuffed up toilet.
    I agree. In the 21st century we have soap, running water and hand sanitizer. At least we do where I live, YMMV.