Thread: Do you know of a good and reasonably-priced straight razor?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Do you know of a good and reasonably-priced straight razor?

A mustachioed buddy at work asked me today if I knew of a good straight razor. His European shaving razor is wearing out, and when he tried to replace it, he found that it was selling for almost $250.
    I of course thought that Spyderco would have one, but I discovered that Sal doesn't produce one.
    Does anyone know of a good solid straight razor for shaving, at a reasonable price? Thanks.

there is a recent thread in the off-topic section about this... I have no further info, as I am not an aficionado, but I'm just helping with my recollection...

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    It's been brought up from time to time that Sal should do a straight. I don't think he's interesting in expanding that direction.

As to your friend, yes, good razors are insanely expensive today. Cheap razors are junk.

His best bet is to find an old but still serviceable razor at a flea market, the bay, wherever and restore it.

If he's not into restoration, hang out on the badger & blade buy/sell/trade forum. Guys are selling stuff they've found and reconditioned all the time. Most are very good deals unless it's a high demand item, like a Wade & Butcher.

Ken
    玉鋼

kbuzbee, thank you. That forum is the ticket.

Spyderco Forum Registered User mark greenman's Avatar

Combine with a nice strop

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Dovo makes a wide range of razors for almost all budgets. These can be found in used condition as well for really budget prices and then refurbished as Ken stated.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I purchased a real cheap one from here: http://www.straightrazor.co/c=M7uj7k...amazing_deals/

It seems to work well, I think all my problems are user error.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Try "straightrazorplace.com". Mainly a forum but they have a selling part also. "Whippeddog.com" has razors. They also have a "sight unseen" razor for $41. You buy a usable razor but don't know what color it will be. It's just a basic razor that is shave ready. I forget the other site I've looked at but it has the high end (expensive) razors and accessories. I just got into straight razor shaving recently and am enjoying it. I'm getting pretty good at how to use a styptic pencil.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).