Thread: Recommend me a straight razor

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Recommend me a straight razor

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting a good straight razor for shaving and want to know your recommendations. All ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Chuck
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

Spydernation #1990

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd View Post
    ...I want to know your recommendations. All ideas welcome.
    Make sure to buy a styptic pencil before you get started.

TedP

Its going to come down to your budget more than anything, if you're not too sure about it you could always buy a cheap starter kit and upgrade later. I looked into it but decided double edge was a good compromise between affordable shaving and convenience, I prefer alum block to stop the blood.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Yeah I have seen straight shaving razors for anywhere from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars. I guess its like with knives, the quality issue.

The styptic pencils and alum blocks are a must.

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    The old carbon steel ones take great edges. I have an old Bengall that I restored.

I think people are going to push you into the 100+ dollar dovo razors.

I would check out the 8k, 16k and 30k Shapton glass stones for honing the razor.

When it comes to stopping, my strop has been glued to a board, and it works fine. I would get some 0.1 micron diamond spray and load a strop with it, and get another strop to keep plain.
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Keep your cost down if this is an uncertain future. A good quality cheap razor will shave hair as well as an expensive one. Make sure that the razor is honed to "shave ready" status, preferably by someone experienced. A strop will maintain the sharp character for quite a while as you learn the technique. Don't rush the learning curve.