Thread: Which to buy next?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Axlis's Avatar

Which to buy next?

Howdy all!

So, I'm thinking about getting a new spydie and I've narrowed it down to a few models:

- Military
    - Lum Chinese g10 (large)
    - Stretch (CF or FRN)

- Manix 2 blue translucent.

I'm a user not a collector, so I hate to buy a knife that will see more drawer time than pocket time.

I know The Deacon has sworn by the Stretch for years, and I've almost pulled the trigger on one several times before just because of his positive feedback on the model.

I like the construction and length of the Military, but I already have some larger "tank folders" and am afraid it will end up being put away.

I LOVE leaf shape blades and g10 scales, so why not the Lum Chinese? The lack of a choil kinda puts me off a bit, but the flowing deign really catches my eye.

I love the caged ball-lock of the Manix 2, but I fear this knife may be too similar in size and use to my Lil Temp and Paramilitary 1, both of which have been out of pocket for a while.

Which of these four would you choose, and why?
    Last edited by Axlis; 11-28-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    When you've got a Delica and a Dodo, everything else is just eye-candy!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I myself would choose a Chinese lum. I've been eyeing one for a bit but just so many models I need. Gah why did I discover spyderco not enough money lol
    ~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I'll second the rec' for the Lum Chinese Folder. I have one of the older gun-metal blue variations and have always loved the design. I hear you on the choil (or lack thereof), but believe me, you really won't miss it. It's a great design--and definitely worth a closer look.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    You could get the superblue Stretch that's coming out! Personally, I'd either go with the stretch or military. I really like the looks of the Ti Military, so I think that is in my future, but it's down the list a ways.

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    I would agree with you on the Military - I bought mine mainly to have a significant piece of Spyderco history rather than as a knife I thought I would carry a lot.

Between the Stretch and the Manix 2 LW, I find that the blade shape of the Stretch produces a more pocket-friendly knife. Bear in mind however that the Stretch and the Manix 2 LW are more or less the same size in their other dimensions.

I would choose the Stretch.
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    id pick the stretch out of that list
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    There is no G-10 Stretch. If you want something fancy, then go for one of the Nishijin GF Damascus versions, since they're Sprints and likely to sell out relatively fast. The FRN version is a great knife, but like the Manix 2, is going to be fairly close to your PM2. If you want something as far removed from your PM2 as possible, then I'd suggest you go for the Lum.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

If you need a big folder get the Millie!
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

If you already have a number of large folders and you love the leaf-shaped blades I would go for the manix2 in one of it's many different flavors.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Axlis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    There is no G-10 Stretch. If you want something fancy, then go for one of the Nishijin GF Damascus versions, since they're Sprints and likely to sell out relatively fast. The FRN version is a great knife, but like the Manix 2, is going to be fairly close to your PM2. If you want something as far removed from your PM2 as possible, then I'd suggest you go for the Lum.
    Oops, CF Stretch is what I meant!
    When you've got a Delica and a Dodo, everything else is just eye-candy!

I'll go for the Manix2LW. It's a big blade and is extremely light. It has very fast deployment too, and a big opening hole and a comfortable handle.

Regards.

I have owned all of these knives you mentioned and personally I would take a Caly 3.5 ten to one over any of them.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I'd say Caly 3.5, too, but from your list, either a Stretch or Milli. The Milli is, for a big knife, so light and tough. If you haven't had one yet... well, maybe. I have one, but mostly carry Enduras because the Milli is such a large knife. There's good reason Paul likes Stretches. Nice, mid size folder with great looks and feel. Not sure I helped you any.
    - best wishes, Jazz.