Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The next super-steel to find it's way into a production model

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemo3000's Avatar
    My first super steel was CPM440V. And my "Mule" was and still is a Starmate.
    Then came CPM420V, known now as S90V and the world was never the same... ;-)
    Those days CPM 3V, CPM M4 and CPM Cru-Wear got my attention when adapted to a folding platform. The Tuff, the Gayle Bradley and the Millie grey sprint run are really a joy to use and maintain to high performances.
    I would love to see those steels on a Nilakka, or a Yojimbo 2 or a Paramillie or better:
    on a Tatanka !!
    A sprint run Tatanka in CPM M4 would be a bless from Heaven ! ;-)

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    What color in the lightsaber? Blue, green, red, purple, yellow, orange, or whatever !!! Which wavelength is superior in all cutting conditions?? Never ends, does it?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Personally, I don't buy multiples of the same knife with different steels. I know that's the way of the steel snob but I just can't justify it

The Superblue run has been great. I haven't had a Delica in years; now I got a great one. Looking forward to getting a Dragonfly2 and Manbug in that steel for the same reason. If a certain sprint came out in a certain steel I wanted to try and a model I didn't have it's just too tempting to pass up.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Personally, I don't buy multiples of the same knife with different steels. I know that's the way of the steel snob but I just can't justify it

The Superblue run has been great. I haven't had a Delica in years; now I got a great one. Looking forward to getting a Dragonfly2 and Manbug in that steel for the same reason. If a certain sprint came out in a certain steel I wanted to try and a model I didn't have it's just too tempting to pass up.
    i was in the same boat for the delica. i ended up selling my SB model cause i couldnt make the handle work for my hand. shame really, it was a great knife
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

-Spencer

That is what makes Spyderco the GREAT company that it is!!! They listen to their customers wants/desires and try their best to satisfy them. I'm sure Sal and Eric's job would be alot easier if they just dropped the forum, or stopped listening/caring about fulfilling their customers needs! They are OLD-SCHOOL for sure! I wasn't condemning the art of knife-collecting-it's fun! But it can be quite expensive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User HSS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    I know the chemistry is practically identical, but I've read reports of people having different experiences in sharpening and use of CTS-204P and M390. Both excellent steels for sure.
    While I won't refute anyone's experiences, these two grades are meant to be the same thing. You can throw in DuraTech 20CV and CPM 20CV also. They are all made by different mills, so the processing is different, but the properties should be the same. Bohler started it, everyone else copied.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Heat treat could be what makes the difference.

Production model? That's tough because some of these steels are very hard on man and machine to work with on a day to day basis, But since this is a wish/dream list I will say these steels: K390 or better yet, K294, preferably in the Millie/Para2 format.

Probably will never see these in a regular production knife but I will throw in a plug for 10V or 15V in some type of mule or sprint run format..

I'm looking forward to a K390 in a caly 3 either FRN or Poly-carbon

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I do not think that I would agree with you, Blake. I think just opposite. IMHO for steel snob, steel is the most important in the knife, and type of the steel can determine interest in the knife. I love my FFG Natives. And if Spyderco would make them in various steels, I would buy some just out of curiosity. You are buying several knives just because they have SB. So you are steel snob . please, do not take this as insult. It is not.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

I'd love to see k390 in something with a big blade (next generation military maybe)?

And Cruwear in standard production on almost anything.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I do not think that I would agree with you, Blake. I think just opposite. IMHO for steel snob, steel is the most important in the knife, and type of the steel can determine interest in the knife. I love my FFG Natives. And if Spyderco would make them in various steels, I would buy some just out of curiosity. You are buying several knives just because they have SB. So you are steel snob . please, do not take this as insult. It is not.
    Hi my name is Landon and I am a steel addict.

This is true of my experiences with a few models. I wanted to try Superblue and when the Caly 3.5 came out I had to have it. This lead me to realize how great the Caly platform (3/3.5/Jr.) is and now I want ALL of them regardless of the steel. This doesn't hold true for all of the designs I have used / tried / owned, but for this it is a sure bet. Others like the Military, Manix and Stretch were ergo based first and then I tumbled into the other variants.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Hi my name is Landon and I am a steel addict.

This is true of my experiences with a few models. I wanted to try Superblue and when the Caly 3.5 came out I had to have it. This lead me to realize how great the Caly platform (3/3.5/Jr.) is and now I want ALL of them regardless of the steel. This doesn't hold true for all of the designs I have used / tried / owned, but for this it is a sure bet. Others like the Military, Manix and Stretch were ergo based first and then I tumbled into the other variants.
    As long as blades made from steel, all of us are steel addicts. But not all of us steel snobs or steel junkies.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Form follows function only up to a certain point! That's where collecting comes in! I have more knives than I can possibly wear out in a lifetime!

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I love my FFG Natives. And if Spyderco would make them in various steels, I would buy some just out of curiosity.
    That's what happens to me Roman. Sal makes a knife I like, so I get it in S30V (which I like just fine, btw) Then he does one in CF/S90V which I have to have Then he'll do a CPM M4/glass fiber and... then I have three of them and all is right in the world.

Yeah, sure, if I'd known, for sure, there was an M4 coming, I might have just waited on it... maybe....

But such is the life of an addict

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    PM2 in K294 or K390

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I haven't tried 4V yet but it looks to have all the attributes I like. K390 was and is a true super steel. It's a very tough act to follow though.

The first "super steel" I recall was ATS 34/154cm. 440C might have been a premium steel, like VG10 or S30V are considered now but I don't ever recall people raving about it or it taking an industry by storm like first 154cm, than ATS 34 did.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User toomzz's Avatar
    Some new or unknown japanese supersteels please. K390 would be nice too. VG10 gets a little boring.....but still a very nice and good steels. How much VG10 is left in the contract with the japanese to produce knives from for Spyderco?
    Even in times of peace a gentleman still keeps a sword by his side

I like it...New models ofcourse would be more refined with new steel works.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    K390 was and is a true super steel. It's a very tough act to follow though.
    You'd take K390 over K294, Joe?

Ken
    玉鋼