Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The next super-steel to find it's way into a production model

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    You'd take K390 over K294, Joe?
    Ken, I still don't have any personal experience with K294. It's their A11/10V equivalent, eh? For a folder It wouldn't matter, for a fixed blade I would use K390 for the extra toughness . It has more than enough wear resistance for me and any improvement K294 has would be probably only noticeable in Jim Ankerson type tests.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like the steel but I doubt I would push it hard enough to really need any more performance than K390 has. Still, if I had tried K294 first I probably would be calling it's name.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'm happy with my CPM M4, and CPM D2. What makes them "super" for me? Keeping them sharp. Of course I am happy with my G2 "super" steel in my Endura(I think it was super when it was introduced.)

Now if they develop a steel that is thin like a razor blade from edge to spine(of course the spine will need to be thicker to keep from cutting yourself, I understand that), and doesn't chip out when cutting zip ties or biscotti then I'll be interested.
    --Jason--

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    when cutting zip ties or biscotti :
    I don't think I've ever seen those two requirements specifically called out together.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Biscotti can be as hard as a brick!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    I have been carrying knives since the early 1970's. Back then I did not think at all about steel and only cared about the design and if it had stainless stamped on the blade. They always seemed to hold up to my use and abuse. Then came the internet and the evil Glesser family.....now I think would XHP cut open this credit card offer I just got in the mail better than ZDP? Will M4 hold up to hours of me staring at it better than CTS 204P?

Bottom line is, basic steels do everything I use a knife for, but these days, exotic steels sell me knives.
    Last edited by Screwdriver; 11-30-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    and if it had stainless stamped on the blade. They always seemed to hold up to my use and abuse. Then came the internet and the evil Glasser family...
    I realize this was a joke but Sal, Eric et al are very far from evil. They are shining examples of greatness. Of what a company can be, even today.

There are many examples of evil in this world. They are not on that list.

Ken

(The internet? Yeah, maybe. )
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    I realize this was a joke but Sal, Eric et al are very far from evil. They are shining examples of greatness. Of what a company can be, even today.

There are many examples of evil in this world. They are not on that list.

Ken

(The internet? Yeah, maybe. )
    Have you had your coffee yet?

possibly not enough....

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User toomzz's Avatar
    Lol
    Even in times of peace a gentleman still keeps a sword by his side