Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The next super-steel to find it's way into a production model

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar

The next super-steel to find it's way into a production model

CTS-XHP is finding it's way into a bunch of new models. CTS-204P is production with the Southard. M4 is available in the Air and Gayle Bradley.

So, what 'super-steel' do you think (or hope) will make it's way into a regular production model next? I'm hoping it's M390 personally. It seems to be a very popular steel in sprint models.

What steel do you hope makes it way from sprint to production in the future?

Spyderco Forum Registered User AndrewDanielson's Avatar
    I know its already in the tuff, but I would totally love to see more 3v. Especially for spydies with super thin tips. Blacked out yojimbo 3v anyone?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I'd be down for M390 or even S90/110V but those seem too labor intensive to be standard production.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The new Native 5 will have s110v in it and that is standard production, no?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    I would also like to see more CPM-3V.

S90V is already in production with the Southfork...
    Hans

Military (S90V, M4, M390, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390), Gayle Bradley, Manix LW, Native 5 S110V, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE, South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    K294 please.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The Southard is already available in CTS-204p which for all intents and purposes is M390.

I would love to see another Japanese steel, maybe a high speed competitor to M4.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    The Southard is already available in CTS-204p which for all intents and purposes is M390.

I would love to see another Japanese steel, maybe a high speed competitor to M4.
    I know the chemistry is practically identical, but I've read reports of people having different experiences in sharpening and use of CTS-204P and M390. Both excellent steels for sure.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    K294 please.

Ken
    +1 and i would hardly call XHP a super steel. unless were adding D2 and s30v/s35vn as "super steels"
    Top Picks: Chaparral 2, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    +1 and i would hardly call XHP a super steel. unless were adding D2 and s30v/s35vn as "super steels"
    The boundary of what gets classified as "super steel" keeps getting pushed further and further into the stratosphere.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Yeah I wouldn't call XHP a super steel either. I like it, but it is not up there with M4 or 204P from my experience. I say more S90V/20CP just because I do not have a knife in that steel. I could see 204P being used as the next S30V.

I get what you are saying, but wasn't there a time when they were considered super-steels? VG-10 was considered a super-steel at one point too, right? Then they became popular and pushed into production models and eventually are now normal. I really just included XHP in the original listing because it's a steel that transitioned from being used in sprint models and now is found in the Chaparral, Domino, Hungarian, etc. I suppose I could have put some sort of cliff note that "super" is a relative adjective and should not be taken literally to describe the steels listed, but arguing what does and doesn't fall under what is at best a vague and every changing definition is pedantic.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    The boundary of what gets classified as "super steel" keeps getting pushed further and further into the stratosphere.
    Yep! Ain't it great?

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    There was a time when VG10 was a super steel, and ZDP was insanely exotic.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Yes, K294 and 20CP on Millie, Manix, N5, Mule etc. please.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I am not buying steels. I am buying overall design, so I need FFG Natives in all these steels: XHP ( I do not care if it is super or quite an average. I stil love VG10 and S35VN), 204P, M390, 20CP, Elmax, VANAX75 & 35, B75P and Caly3.5 in solid SG2.
    I do not need all of them at once. 2-3 flavors every year will be good.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

We pay much more money for "SUPER STEELS"!!! As newer steels are being developed, older "super steels" are not "super steels" anymore. The prices of older steel knives falls because everyone has to have "THE NEW SUPER STEEL " KNIFE! The question is,"How super does the steel have to be to make a super knife?" Back in the day good old 440C was a super steel! Can anyone say,"SHOW ME THE MONEY"?

When I started collecting knives over 15 years ago I remember that ATS34 was one of the super steels of custom knives, now there are lots of run of the mill knives with even better steel than that such as S30V.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    We pay much more money for "SUPER STEELS"!!! As newer steels are being developed, older "super steels" are not "super steels" anymore. The prices of older steel knives falls because everyone has to have "THE NEW SUPER STEEL " KNIFE! The question is,"How super does the steel have to be to make a super knife?" Back in the day good old 440C was a super steel! Can anyone say,"SHOW ME THE MONEY"?
    Yeah, you have to pay for R&D, and S30V is quite a bit better than 440C, and M390/204P is quite a bit better than S30V, and K390 is quite a bit better than 204P. And by better, I am simply taking all factors and saying "needs less frequent sharpening" I'll play, and pay for the performance, also I like knowing that my K390 Mule is the king in edge retention in the knife production world. For now, and when a new king comes along, I bet it is a Spyderco.

Ahhh ATS-34...that brings back memories...my first real super steel. There was a time that I thought 440C was the shizzle, because it wouldn't rust when left in a damp backpack forgotten for a couple months. (I take care of my stuff much better but it was a sad time as a kid when I ruined 2 good knives while my Gerber survived unscathed...This was many a year ago when Gerber still made great knives.)

It's because of great companies like Spyderco that we have the choices available today. I don't consider myself a snob but it occurs to me that the blades I use most often are all 'super steels' ZDP and H1 ladybugs on my keychains, XHP in my pocket (Techno, and yes it is a super steel. Would you like to step back down to 440 or 420?), and 3V on my Bark River fixed blades.

So back on topic, which super steel would I like to see? Sadly I am not educated enough to say. I hope its easier to sharpen than ZDP, gets as screaming sharp as VG10, is as stain resistant as H1, and hold an edge better than S110V...I know I'll take the lightsaber.

Grizz