Thread: Szabo question

Hybrid View

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Szabo question

Never handled one but considering a larger folder for winter carry. From what I can gather from various reviews there is some sort of spring gizmo which applies some amount of resistance to opening.

1. Can it be easily disabled?

2. If it is disabled does the blade literally fall open?

3. If disabled can it be easily re-enabled?

I would be carrying with the knife horizontal at the bottom of a jacket pocket so accidental opening would be highly unlikely.

Thanks for any help.

Spyderco Forum Registered User speedcut's Avatar
    I guess it would fall open but my advice is do not dissasemble your SZabo because it's much too difficult to put back on...the mechanism works just fine after a short period of break in...

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Taking it out is not advisable, the blade is too heavy for the detent and it would open in your pocket. Also special tooling is required to put the spring back.

But why would you take it out?
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Quote Originally Posted by IG-88 View Post
    Taking it out is not advisable, the blade is too heavy for the detent and it would open in your pocket. Also special tooling is required to put the spring back.

But why would you take it out?
    Although I hope to never use it for its intended purpose, I want a knife that opens one-handed and FAST. The spring gizmo makes me wonder about this. I am looking for something in the 4-1/2 to 5 inch range.

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    Although I hope to never use it for its intended purpose, I want a knife that opens one-handed and FAST. The spring gizmo makes me wonder about this. I am looking for something in the 4-1/2 to 5 inch range.
    I can understand your concerns with the Szabo. I was letdown with the feeling of the mechanism and it does present some drag to the opening. For reference, I can flick open a Tuff with no problem, but i cannot master the Szabo. It is even difficult for me to open with one hand! For that It just stays in my display cabinet. It is a very sweet looking blade, but the function if a bit lacking. Cant win them all i suppose.

JD

You may not be able to flick the blade open(4.6" of thick steel) as fast as the lighter blades, but it will be plenty fast enough! It is still a very easy opening knife just thumbing it open, or you can add a little wrist action to open in a real hurry!

If you're feeling up to it, there was a thread on BF about smoothing and speeding up a Szabo

It will void your warranty and looks too technical for me. Alternatively, you could always send it to Charlie Mike on BF as well and get it waved which makes it even more intimidating if that was even possible

I'm very happy with how both of my Szabo's (original and blacked-out version) open up one-handed. Plenty fast. The only delay might be, given the size of the handle, how your hand naturally positions on the handle when you unclip it from your pocket.

I see no need to weaken/disable any spring mechanism (I wasn't even aware it had a spring, I thought it was just a firm detent ball, that's how little it bothered me ).
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Appreciate all the info and links. Looks like I will get one and modify only if necessary. Not much out there to pick from in the 4-1/2 to 5 inch range and I really like the blade shape; good for slash or thrust. Was looking at an Emerson UBR Commander but they are insanely priced.

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderHS08's Avatar
    Definately play with it before modding it and like others said learn the wrist motion. I can open Most of my larger spydercos with the flick of my wrist without ever touching the blade or spydie hole. It takes practice but it's possible. You can do it downward or straight out if you get good enough. What works for me is to hold my thumb on one side and all four fingers on the other and then snap your wrist in the direction you prefer. Just be careful, you don't wana throw it across the room lol.
    36 and counting...
    E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE , Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, Spyderhawk, Persian, Lum tanto, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly

Dodo!

It does fall out. There is a ball in the comp lock
    but no detent for it to rest in. I've disassembled one and it wasn't fun. I didn't have the proper tools to set the spring back but made due with a chopstick and a 3rd hand. I'll see if i can link the thread here. The ball in the comp lock spring is to stop it from rubbing on the blade. Found the thread.
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Szabo
    Last edited by VashHash; 11-24-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Found the thread

Quote Originally Posted by VashHash View Post
    It does fall out. There is a ball in the comp lock
    but no detent for it to rest in. I've disassembled one and it wasn't fun. I didn't have the proper tools to set the spring back but made due with a chopstick and a 3rd hand. I'll see if i can link the thread here. The ball in the comp lock spring is to stop it from rubbing on the blade. Found the thread.
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Szabo
    Thanks for the link. For me, "chopstick and 3rd hand assembly" EQUALS "spring flying across workshop, lost forever".

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpydieFreak's Avatar
    My two cents.
    I have the Szabo all black version. When I first got it I thought it was almost to stiff to open one handed. But after some lube and few hundred one handed openings its breaking in nice. Its smooth but will never be a flick open knife like the PM2. I think that's asking to much from the intended design, nor do I think I would want it to open that fast.
    I can tell you the lock up is vault like and rock solid. When it clicks in the open postilion it sounds like your cocking back a .44 mag and you mean business. A very cool feature of the design that outweighs a supper fast opening.
    I am trying the zip tie cheap trick on mine for a wave. Very happy with the knife.