Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning - deals too good to be true may well be!

Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar

Warning - deals too good to be true may well be!

UPDATED WITH DETAILED PICS OF FAKES AND HOW TO SPOT THEM:
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...349#post901349

Yes I know there are endless threads over in the fakes subforum, but this thread has a somewhat different purpose.

We already know that AliExpress is full of fakes, there isn't a legit product on there. Kristi already posted a thread about it.

The thing that changed, for me at least, is that I discovered there are a whole suite of knives which are actually pretty convincing. Heretofore I'd always assumed I could spot a fake. Not so much anymore.

Just as one example. (there are TONS more, from all major brands)

I bring this up because, that might just have fooled me had I found it anywhere else. Hock that on fleabay, and I'm sure you could get good money for it, with nobody being the wiser.

Yes I know this thread may get some people's hackles up and rightly so, sorry for ruining your day, but I'd always assumed it would be easy spot the fakes, even for relative newbies. Now I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by hunterseeker5; 12-04-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: quick reference to fake pics

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    That's a fake I would never know. Now I am questioning mine. If I bought it from HKS, I assume there are no questions about it right?

I think Eric and Sal's signatures both being on it is the giveaway (I'm not super well versed yet so I could be wrong)...my knives have either no signature, or one...never both.
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule Team (K390), Manix2 LW Black, Ulize, Chokwe
    Saver Salt, Lava (Blue G-10), 2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Titanium Damascus)

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I think Eric and Sal's signatures both being on it is the giveaway (I'm not super well versed yet so I could be wrong)...my knives have either no signature, or one...never both.
    Both Eric and Sal's signatures are on the PM2.

Ah, see I didn't know that yet. I have yet to add a PM2 to my collection. What's the giveaway on that model then?
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)

-> Branden

The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

I can't spot anything different, from memory at least.

Is the spine of the knife open like that one on a real PM2?

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    That's a fake I would never know. Now I am questioning mine. If I bought it from HKS, I assume there are no questions about it right?
    None here, you cannot get fakes from the same place you get sprint runs. I also think you are pretty safe with all the larger US knife dealers often mentioned here.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    To me the G10 just doesn't look right. It looks "softer" if that makes sense.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

The spine is indeed open on a PM2.

Holding a PM2 in front of me, yeah the G10 looks a little different and the screw heads don't have their torx cut as on-center. If thats the extent of it though (you have to own the knife to figure it out) there is a problem.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The best way to avoid counterfeits is to go through trusted sellers. Same reason you shouldn't buy designer purses from a guy in a van.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I agree with your Blerv, obviously the trusted dealers are an easy win, but there is a lively secondary market surrounding these knives, and I guess I'm speaking more to the people who engage in that.

This has been a serious issue for a while now with Strider and CRK knives, someone buys the knife from some guy who is a trusted seller (such as on Bladeforms) and discovers the blade was fake, and the seller didn't know, etc. Same thing here.

I also bring it up because, given how hard it is to get PM2s these days, people are going to increasingly sketchy or "off the beaten path" sellers. Yeah if you go to aliexpress, you went looking for ****, but I'd bet you that there are quite a few of these floating around people thinking they're legitimate. If not, there will be soon. The world is full of unscrupulous people/companies.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Fakes are getting so close its scary. You also have to consider that with this black/satin model, this might be a picture of the real deal a company purchased to copy. Then they took pics of the original to display when listing their fakes.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, Super Blue Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, Super Blue Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Yojimbo2, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, Super Blue Stretch

Chris

The only two things that lok strange in these pics are:
    1. The clip on my para2 m390 is polished and these are brushed ( I dont' have any other para2's so dont know if they have brushed clips)
    2. The sharpened part of the edge next to the ricasso on this one is rounded and mine has a fully sharpened edge all the way to the ricasso.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    The best way to avoid counterfeits is to go through trusted sellers. Same reason you shouldn't buy designer purses from a guy in a van.
    Exactly. If you only ever buy from reputable dealers, you will never have to worry about fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    I agree with your Blerv, obviously the trusted dealers are an easy win, but there is a lively secondary market surrounding these knives, and I guess I'm speaking more to the people who engage in that.

This has been a serious issue for a while now with Strider and CRK knives, someone buys the knife from some guy who is a trusted seller (such as on Bladeforms) and discovers the blade was fake, and the seller didn't know, etc. Same thing here.

I also bring it up because, given how hard it is to get PM2s these days, people are going to increasingly sketchy or "off the beaten path" sellers. Yeah if you go to aliexpress, you went looking for ****, but I'd bet you that there are quite a few of these floating around people thinking they're legitimate. If not, there will be soon. The world is full of unscrupulous people/companies.
    Secondary market is definitely more problematic. Best insurance is to deal only with folks you know and trust to the extent possible, and to consider limiting yourself to Collectors Club numbered specimens of models where accurate fakes are known to exist when dealing with strangers.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    You should have no worries about your PM2 if you bought it from HKS. They're legit.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Completely agreed Hunter. It's a shame we have to deal with this for the popular knives.

All the more reason I guess to simply wait or pay more knowing you will get the real deal . While people who want a NIB Spin or stainless Poliwog are in a tough situation the Para2 is luckily still a hot selling production knife.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar
    How do we know that para is a fake? Theres enough variance with production, imo, that slight inconsistencies are within spec.
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    It's also possible that the photo is of a real Para2 while the product they actually send people is less accurate. But either way, it makes the secondary market harder to trust.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule