Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Here in South Carolina Firehouse Subs are very good, however it is hard to best the subs our local Publix market makes.

Local places are usually the best.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    I like Mr. Sub and Subway

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    As a former sandwich artist for over three years, it took another four years before I could eat there again.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Spyderco Forum Registered User akapennypincher's Avatar

Matt & Tony's was the best

When I was young in North Hollywood CA on Victory Boulevard there was Matt & Tony's. Sesame Seeded Italian Bread, hard on the out side. The Topping were Dill Pickles, Onion, and Crushed or Chopped Tomatoes. There Italian Cold Cuts Special was the best, and there was MEAT on the Sandwich. No need to ask for Double or Extra Meat.

The Choice were 3 or 4 different sandwiches, and whole or Half load. YUM.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Words of Wisdom Albert Einstein-American Scientist 1879-1955

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein2001 View Post
    As a former sandwich artist for over three years, it took another four years before I could eat there again.
    Was sandwich artist the actual job title? That's pretty funny.

Yeah, I ate at subway too much in college and I don't really like it much anymore.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I like Quiznos more than Subway, but go to subway more frequently due to availability. I went to Blimpie couple times many years ago. I do not like this place. `
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fanglekai View Post
    Mr Goodcents is decent around here. They slice the meat and cheese fresh, unlike Subway. The Goodcents near me has fresh bread daily and is kept absolutely immaculate.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
    When I was young in North Hollywood CA on Victory Boulevard there was Matt & Tony's. Sesame Seeded Italian Bread, hard on the out side. The Topping were Dill Pickles, Onion, and Crushed or Chopped Tomatoes. There Italian Cold Cuts Special was the best, and there was MEAT on the Sandwich. No need to ask for Double or Extra Meat.

The Choice were 3 or 4 different sandwiches, and whole or Half load. YUM.
    That is funny....I live off of Victory, in North Hollywood. A few blocks from the bank robbery and shootout.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Another vote for Firehouse or any place that uses REAL meat VS turkey based, flavored to taste like whatever "meat".

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I like Firehouse subs. Quiznos is good, not great, they seem to be closing here.

I tried Jersey Mike's over the weekend, I'm not too impressed. It tastes better than Subway.

Subway seems pretty middle of the road. Most of the time you get better subs from a Grocery store.

Blimpie is pretty nice, but they've gotten a bit too fancy. I liked them a while back when they just made you a nice sub with good meat.
    Last edited by Donut; 12-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    On a related note, I have wondered: How many sandwiches (hero and otherwise) are made, total, every day, in the USA alone? It would have to be in the millions?

I feel like Subway is that girl I used to date before I moved up to classier women.

Fontano's off of Taylor street in Chicago. The magic is the melding of Turano bread, gardinara and ham salami and provalone.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Quizno's Beef Peppercorn with Au Jus. Awwwwe yeah

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I like Firehouse subs.
    Brian,

Did you get a chance to try the King's Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich from earlier this year? It was a limited thing, but I was visiting Firehouse once week to get one.

Last edited by xceptnl; 12-04-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: uselss without photo
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jonny8642's Avatar
    I haven't been on here in forever but I'll put my $0.02 in. As far as major chains go
    Subway: is like my mcdonalds no matter where I'm at for work big city or small town, I can usually find one and get decent food just pay a little extra for more meat
    Jimmy Johns: Awesome delivery service when I lived inside a delivery zone. But the same thing pay for the little extra meat on certain ones or add bacon to the beach club (freaken amazing)
    firehouse: get to one once in a while but they're pretty good.

Mom and pop places if you're ever in CO try to go to Comminiello Meats in Westminster small italian deli with low priced sandwiches that taste amazing, South Philly Cheesesteak in Arvada get extra cheese on theirs you'll thank me later, another place was Oscars kabobs and gyros Great sausage sandwiches but they closed due to highway expansion

Spyderco Forum Registered User FLYBYU44's Avatar
    in the wilds of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    I like Quiznos best for chains, but there are Subways everywhere so I go there more often. I heard the Subway franchise is the bargin of the franchise world, so that would explain why every corner has one. I live on an acreage outside the city, the gas station in the small town up the highway has a Subway even. So if I'm needing a fast meal when the wife is not home I usually pop in there on the way home. I'm not a huge fan of either soup or sandwhiches, during my teenage year my parents ran a soup and sandwhich place, so I've had my share
    Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    Opinions? What do you like best? Blimpie seems to give the largest portions but some Subway sandwiches are nice, like the meatball and cold cut trio.

Must admit, those meatball subs at Subway are excellent.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    Just tried a new place here today with the wife called Pepperjax Grill. Best Philly steak sandwich I've had since I was in the Philly area for work during summer of 2012.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I would vote for Subway....as for Jersey Mike's.....bleh. Overpriced for the portion. But for a sub, I prefer to hit local mom and pop places. In Los Angeles it is Cavarettas, Jim's Meat Market, Dan's Super Subs, and DeFranko's Submarine Sandwiches.
    My experience has been the opposite, with Jersey Mike's beating Subway most of the time. I may have to check out some of those other places you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    That is funny....I live off of Victory, in North Hollywood. A few blocks from the bank robbery and shootout.
    I'm in NoHo as well.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug