Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

Opinions? What do you like best? Blimpie seems to give the largest portions but some Subway sandwiches are nice, like the meatball and cold cut trio.

Though, the local mom and pop places seem to be the best when it comes to dedicated hero sandwiches.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    Ya know, that's a close call because both Subway and Blimpie have been kind to me. I've been to Subway far more than Blimpie since Subway seems to be more available in the places I've been, but, that said, Blimpie makes quite a nice meatball sandwich.

Tough choice, but I'll give the nod to Subway with the understanding that Blimpie is a close second.
    Spyderco WTC #1044

Spyderco Forum Registered User SIGnificant's Avatar
    Jersey Mike's is better than either IMO.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kev83's Avatar
    I worked as a manager at subway for about 6 years. It was a great franchise and good food but always felt like portions could've been bigger

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I'm going to say Subway. (For one, I've always enjoyed their sandwiches and two, we don't have any Blimpie's in my one-horse town ).
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    For my money, Schlotzsky's can't be beat. They aren't nationwide yet - but they've got the best sandwiches I've ever eaten...

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have eaten at Subway more because of the $4.00 special but I just like to make a simple sandwich at home. My favorite is made with Honey Wheat bread, mayonnaise, tomato, swiss cheese and Turkey breast.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I love subway because it is more commonly found here, but FIREHOUSE tops everything else on your list. Look it up, go find one, enter the building, order a tasty sub, thank me later!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Mom and pops are the best. I like to find a local place and get to know the people. I have one local place in mind. Priced well and is simply amazing.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Manix 2 XL DLC, Endura 4 FFG Grey FRN, Pacific Salt SE Yellow FRN, Sage 1, Paramilitary 2 Black & Satin, Gayle Bradley, Stretch SB, Caly 3.5 Black VG-10

Quiznos is my favorite. Second would be Schlotzskys. I remember eating in Schlotzskys in Austin when they only had 2 restaurants in the whole world. Third would be Jimmy Johns.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Subway gets a lot of flack when compared to other sub chains, but I really do love a chicken bacon ranch with southwest sauce on it...that's some good eatin.

For me though, if we're talking about any kind of sub/hoagie type sandwich, if I have the option I will always go to Penn Station and get a cheese steak with mayo, onions, and extra banana peppers. There was a time in my life that I thought I had about a week left to live, so I went out and ate at all my favorite restaurants, and PS was one that I ate at multiple times.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quiznos is the best chain...but Mom and Pop all day long. We have a place here in B'ham by UAB called Fat Sams. A local sports station (Jox 94.5 show The Round Table)did a "sandwich bracket" where they took like 15 different restaurants' sandwiches around Birmingham and had a NCAA basketball style weekly challenge. All participants were mom and pop only. Fat Sam's won it all with their sandwich, "The Kitchen Sink". And that MF has everything but the kitchen sink on it. 6 meats, 4 cheeses, lettuce, onion, tomato, banana peppers, and a dressing that is sort of Caesar-ish . The place is a dump but a UAB institution, and had it not been for the Sandwich Bracket I would have never known about it. It is like eating a football of deli sliced heaven.

Subway: Italian herb & cheese bread, Spicy Italian with provolone cheese, everything on it except jalapenos (they talk back to me, go figure), oil & vinegar, black pepper & oregano, toasted. I rest my case. You can thank me later...

Nothing compares to the local mom&pops shops! The large chains have too much overhead to really give you your money's worth! For less than the price of 2 $5 footlongs, at any one of the 4 mom&pops, I can get an 18 inch hoagie with 10 times the meat, 3 times the cheese, and twice the other topping than 2 subway foot-longs!

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    I prefer mom & pop places as well, but I like the meatball and BLT at subway, the ham at Jersey Mike's, the flavors but not as much the portions/value at quizno's. I haven't found a place here that I'm into yet. I dig Firehouse for what I've gotten as well. Do they all have a ton of hot sauces sitting around? That's always a bonus in my book
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    When I was working we had a Subway on the ground floor of our building and yet, like most of my co-workers, nine times out of ten if I wanted a sandwich, I'd walk the six blocks over to Bruegger's Bagel Shop. Subway's bread always smelled great, but it couldn't make up for how little meat they put on it.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Mr Goodcents is decent around here. They slice the meat and cheese fresh, unlike Subway. The Goodcents near me has fresh bread daily and is kept absolutely immaculate.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Qcrazy's Avatar
    Which Wich ( A new chain that moved into the area) has now earned my vote, tons of meat great toppings including a olive salad that rocks. Ordering takes some direction to do right, but the sandwiches are the best.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    I would vote for Subway....as for Jersey Mike's.....bleh. Overpriced for the portion. But for a sub, I prefer to hit local mom and pop places. In Los Angeles it is Cavarettas, Jim's Meat Market, Dan's Super Subs, and DeFranko's Submarine Sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Qcrazy View Post
    Which Wich ( A new chain that moved into the area) has now earned my vote, tons of meat great toppings including a olive salad that rocks. Ordering takes some direction to do right, but the sandwiches are the best.
    Good product but the ordering is the most bass ackwards bunch of caca ever. Too confusing