Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member from Spain

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, there are some really good folks here.

Dan

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hello again.

Thanks you very much for your kind welcome.

I would like to answer any of your questions to each of you. I'll try as I get used to the operation of the forum.

I would also like to upload some photographs of my spanish knives, but I don't know if it is allowed in this forum to put images of non-Spyderco knives.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    Welcome to the forum Titomake.
    Are you familiar with Navaja knives? Spyderco makes an excellent Navaja:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=632

From the Spyderco main website:

" Unique to the Navaja is the Carraca or ratcheting sound it produces when the blade opens and closes. Carraca ratcheting generates a reaction similar to the sound of chambering a round in a firearm, distinctively announcing the knife's presence and has been attributed to deterring a criminal or criminal behavior."

Hello. I know this knife but it looks strange to my eyes as I have traditional spanish knives. Nevertheless it is an outstanding knife.

Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    All spyderco folders are navajas actually. That's just what they call folding knives in Spain. Actually the folding knife was born in Spain after one of the leaders passed a carry law against longer blades some 500 years ago. True story...government imposed knife restrictions are nothing new apparently. Now, there is a classic spanish (gypsy?) knife that is known for its distinctive ratcheting sound, but I don't know what it is called specifically.

Ok, most of this info I pick up from my spanish girlfriend and more so, from some of her friends who are into knives, so I'm just repeating what I've been told. Please step in and correct me if I've got any of this wrong Titomake.
    Hello:

By no means am I an expert in spanish knives. Only an amateur.

I think the type of knives making a ratcheting sound are known as "Navajas de Carraca". The Carraca is similar as the lockback locking system but, contrary to this, it is a multi-tooth system. Usually, the larger the size of the knife, the greater the number of teeth and the greater is the warning given to the adversary. Long ago, when there was no light in the streets at night, it was a good notice to prevent assaults. However, it was possible to open the knife making no sound at all, by keeping the lock up with your fingers when opening.

Carraca was also a security measure. If the main tooth was broken, you still had some others to prevent the accidental closing of the knife. Thus, was impossible to hurt your fingers.

Thanks you for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by griff443 View Post
    ¡Bienvenidos!

Su inglés me parece muy bien. Hay pocos errores. ¿Estudió usted solamente en España o también en un país anglohablante? De todos modos, este foro es un fuente excelente de información. I don't post here often but I browse it about every day. If you have the money, I would recommend purchasing the Knifeworks CF S90V Manix 2 sprint run while it's still available! I think they ship overseas . . .
    Hello:

I have only studied in Spain. I would like to visit the States in the future.

Thanks you for the advice on the sprint run.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by swigert View Post
    Welcome!!! Great collection so far!!

Get the sage 1 now And wait for the new sage 3's unless you like the blue g10. But the carbon fiber pattern on the new sage 3 looks really great!
    Hello:

I was decided to purchase sage 3 but the new model is also very appealing to me. The problem, as always, is the restrictive budget.

In addition to this, blue sage 3 doesn't seem to have had same success as 1 and 2. I don't know if it is only a question of a very striking color.

Regards.

Regards.