Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divesting from collecting Spyderco's - question on moving collectible models

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Divesting from collecting Spyderco's - question on moving collectible models

Hello All,

I used to spend tons of time on this forum and I built up quite a collection of rare Spyderco's. However over the past few years, I have been doing the "responsible adult thing" and got married, bought a house and had a baby. I have not really devoted any time to the hobby of collecting rare Spyderco's so I sold off a number of those which were not as rare and now I am left with a few of the more rare knives.

My question is what is the best way to sell the few remaining knives I possess? I can't recall if there is a classifieds section on this site, but I don't believe they have one. I have sold some knives on eBay, and that may be the place to do so, but I thought I'd check with you all first.

Thanks,

John
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson: Quoted by the Late Dr. Gonzo.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Drahkis's Avatar
    You are correct that there is no buying or selling on this forum, eBay is definitely an option as are other forums with buy/sell/trade sections. You could always try craigslist but for a rare spydie you'll have to hope someone like us sees it!

Good luck.
    Last edited by Drahkis; 11-23-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Woops

Bladeforums b/s/t

I would go the eBay route...

And I think the above reply means to say there is NO buying and selling on here...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Bladeforums BST gets a heck of a lot of traffic.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, Super Blue Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, Super Blue Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Yojimbo2, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, Super Blue Stretch

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Halfneck's Avatar
    Personally when I am selling a knife I put it up on the various knife forums & ebay. More exposure equals more potential buyers. That said, I find the knife forums to be less of a hassle in selling knives. The buyers are knife people, and generally you don't have to worry about getting scammed as much.
    "A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    bladeforums is your best bet, i would avoid fleabay, may get a higher selling price (not guaranteed) but the fees are very high, so from my experience, not worth it.
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    bladeforums is your best bet, i would avoid fleabay, may get a higher selling price (not guaranteed) but the fees are very high, so from my experience, not worth it.
    This ^^^
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The times I've had to sell, even after fees, eBay has given me the best returns. As with everything I would do a bit of research but an educated secondary market should be decent at setting price for your knives. It only takes two bidders who know what they are buying to get things off on the right foot.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    I have sold a few Spyderco knives via Ebay over the past month. I had to make some painful choices as I am also married, with kids, and I am trying to scrape together some money for a new bike frame. Selling my gray PM2 sprint about made me cry, along with my CF Dodo sprint - they were among my favorites and I enjoyed using/carrying them both. I still have a small stable of good knives left, thankfully.

I agree with Blake - Ebay has given me the best sales in terms of dollars, but the fees are a bummer, with Paypal fees on top.

I have used Bladeforums and CandlePowerForums before with success.

Paul ("The Deacon") gave some great advice about Ebay on this forum some years ago that I have used: I always use auction formats and start the bidding at $.99. This lets the market determine the price and encourages folks to get involved in watching or bidding. Sometimes this sets off a bidding competition that really becomes active.

I usually try and project what I think something will sell for on Ebay before I list, and about 85% of the time the sale exceeds my expectation. It gets knocked back a bit after fees, but sometimes folks will pay more for something than I would myself, and this is good from a seller's standpoint. Most often I don't make a profit, but most times I don't lose too much either. Resale value on Spyderco knives is great. There are not many hobbies where you can buy something, use it, and then later sell it and not take a huge loss.

It kind of depends on how good you are at writing ad copy and taking photos whether your auction works.

I always anticipate the OP getting a bunch of PM's after a post like this...

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I always anticipate the OP getting a bunch of PM's after a post like this...
    They smell the blood in the water...
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancier View Post
    It kind of depends on how good you are at writing ad copy and taking photos whether your auction works.
    OR you could cut and paste someone else's auction text into your own, like some dude did to me once.

The guy stole the complete text of my auction, font and all, and put it into his own auction for the same knife - at the same time mine was still running. After a somewhat heated exchange via Ebay messaging, I think he got my point - I don't care if you copy my text, but have the decency to wait until my auction is over before competing with me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bengaiser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancier View Post
    For the truly rare Spyderco models, I would say having a professional listing doesn't matter quite so much. The majority of the "rare" items listed on eBay are actually far from it.

As long as the item is described well, has decent pictures and you answer questions promptly, the people bidding on these items already know exactly what they are. They just need the details of the one listed.

Thanks all- I am going to give Bladeforums BST a try. There are only three knives left in the collection I'm looking to move, so the list isn't comprehensive to speak of.

-John
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson: Quoted by the Late Dr. Gonzo.

As a collector I much prefer buying from a Bladeforums listing. I think there is much more honesty there than ebay. I find listings that include the exact model number in the title and a pic of the box label, if you have it, to be very helpful. Good luck.

Spyderco Forum Registered User VeloWeave's Avatar
    I have used only eBay or The Cove. You can figure giving up about 20% after shipping and fees on eBay but then again I've always gotten a better price on ebay so maybe it's close to a wash. Never tried Bladeforums.

Most Carried: Caly 3 CF, Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
    Wishlist 2014: Dice, Mnandi, Strider PT CC
    Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2
    Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter
    Coming Soon Flashlight: MBI HF Copper 3 mode with Hi Cri emitter (arrived and it's awesome!)

Selling on ebay is typically about 13% of fees. Between payal/ebay.

Spyderco Forum Registered User VeloWeave's Avatar
    yeah true but I was factoring in shipping as well as fees.

Most Carried: Caly 3 CF, Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
    Wishlist 2014: Dice, Mnandi, Strider PT CC
    Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2
    Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter
    Coming Soon Flashlight: MBI HF Copper 3 mode with Hi Cri emitter (arrived and it's awesome!)