Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage 1 Review...

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Sage 1 Review...

Here is a review of the Sage 1 that I received recently

Packaging:

Spyderco does better than any other knife company I have dealt with with their packaging. Knife came very securely taped into the slide out box. Inside it was a completely sealed plastic with all the usual paperwork and letter from Spyderco. Very great packaging. Obviously not a fake in any way.

HANDLE:

This is my favorite knife handle I have ever seen, pics are below. The Carbon Fiber overlay is great. Not as grippy as G-10 but it does havce some grip. More than anything else it looks amazing, the quality that the knife has is just amazing. It looks perfect, I have seen corny looking Carbon Fiber before and this is nothing like it.

The open back on the handle is great, cleaning the knife will be very very easy and the construction is completely solid, feels more solid than a knife that weighs only 3.2 oz.

The ergonomics are fantastic, pictures below show the most common grips I would imagine and both feel great, but the grip with the index finger on the choil is just amazing, it is the most secure and ergonomic grip I have ever felt on a knife.

BLADE:

Blade is made from S30V Steel, high quality steel that will hold an edge very well, I have a few other knives in this edge and its great. I expect it to hold an edge very well. The blade is a full flat grind, the slicing ability will be fantastic like all of Spyderco's full flat grinds. The full grind on the leaf shaped blade is the most beautiful grind I have ever seen.You can see the grind if that makes sense. BEAUTIFUL!

VALUE:

In my opinion one of the best knives for the money, maybe THE BEST knife for the money. Don't let the Taiwan manufacturing make you think twice, it is better than the Golden knives I have handled and that really says something!

Pics and Comparisons, I tried to get a good variety so that you are able to get a good size comparison. The Sage 1 is very comparable to the mini grip, apart from the fact that it fits much better in hand imo.

Sage 1

Sage 1 & Manix 2 XL

Sage & Endura 4

Sage & Benchmade Mini-Griptilian

Here is the grip with my index finger down on the knife how i normally hold knives, this grip feels good but not nearly as good as the next view.

The hold below is great! This knife is just as great in the hand with this grip as the manic 2 XL is. It is amazing how well Spydie knives fit in the hand. I can't believe the Sage and the Manix 2 XL both fit so amazing in hand.

Here are my general thoughts so far.....Spark Notes if you will

- QC is better than any knife I have ever held. Amazing, I'm sold on Taichung! Never hesitate to buy a taiwan Spydie!

- Im terrible at judging size off the spec sheet, I still thought it was going to be bigger than it is in hand. Its a great size though. I am used to the manic xl though so.....

- Wire clip is great, rides very deep in the pocket.

- Not nearly as grippy as a G-10 handle, but it is more grippy than i expected the Carbon Fiber to be.

- Definitely a gentlemens folder. I don't think it would put anyone off by the size, like a military or the manic XL could.

- Ergo's are fantastic, just feels great.

- Blade is screaming sharp from the factory.

- If you don't have one put it at the top of your list! I don't see any knife surpassing this for EDC anytime soon.

IF YOU ARE ON THE FENCE, BUY THIS KNIFE!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by swigert; 11-22-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    It's a great knife. I'm currently carrying a Sage 2 and I love it

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Glad you like it swigert! I have mine on me as usual today at the office. I even picked up my Caly 3.5, fondled it, clipped it to my pocket and tried to walk out the door...I eventually came back upstairs grabbed my Sage and all was well again in the world. I keep wanting to feed my addiction, but I just can't see anything available now kicking this one out of my pocket anytime soon. I have been wanting to grab the XHP native, but I just don't know when I would carry it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    The Sage 1 has kind of killed my interest in other smallish FFG knives because it is so perfect. I have batonned with it too, and it worked well...
    Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Sage 1 is the ONE.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Soooo... Should I pull the plug and get a 1 or wait for the new 3s??? Wondering!!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmh58 View Post
    Soooo... Should I pull the plug and get a 1 or wait for the new 3s??? Wondering!!! John
    What kind of locks do you prefer? Do you like liner locks? if yes then get the sage 1. really reasonable on amazon. If you like the bolt action, I've heard its very similar to a bench made axis lock then wait for the 3.

Or get both haha.

I agree to a previous poster, I don't see myself carrying any of my smaller knives anymore, kershaws, BM mini-grip etc...

THIS KNIFE IS PERFECT, I CANT THINK OF ANYTHING TO MAKE IT BETTER IMHO

I love my Sage 1. But I haven't seen enough posts applauding the OPEN BACK construction! Maybe it's just me, but I love the ease of keeping an open back clean, no matter what. I'm looking through it right now and all I can see is sweet. Pull that plug!

The Sage 1 is perfect. You don't need any other EDC. And it's gorgeous in a classic, understated way.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDude View Post
    The Sage 1 is perfect. You don't need any other EDC. And it's gorgeous in a classic, understated way.
    I agree

If you can afford only one, take a look at the 2014 catalog! The new sage 3 has CF scales that resemble the domino scales. You may want to wait! otherwise get both!

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    If you can afford only one, take a look at the 2014 catalog! The new sage 3 has CF scales that resemble the domino scales. You may want to wait! otherwise get both!
    I will be getting one ASAP!

Spyderco Forum Registered User addylo's Avatar
    Glad you got it already. I knew you were going to love it.

I'm a fan of liner locks so the others in the Sage family haven't tempted me yet. The Sage 1 is perfect for my needs.
    C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Sounds like everything I thought about my Chaparral when I got it, almost to the letter in fact. It's a little smaller, but I prefer lockbacks to liner locks so I bought the Chaparral. The texture of the carbon fiber on the Chaparral 1 and Sage 1 is almost perfect in my opinion for a lightweight knife handle. They're more than grippy enough (Especially with a finger choil), very discreet, and can be used for light prying etc and will take a LOT to scratches or marks. Even people I've met that aren't knife people like to hold it and check out the texture of the handle. The best 2 knives of mine as far as fit and finish go are my Chokwe and Chaparral...both Taiwan Spydercos.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Btt. Added a full review and pics

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I love my Sage 1. But I haven't seen enough posts applauding the OPEN BACK construction! Maybe it's just me, but I love the ease of keeping an open back clean, no matter what. I'm looking through it right now and all I can see is sweet. Pull that plug!
    I agree with you on this and also feel that it adds to the aesthetic appeal of the Sage, as the pillars and liners are beautifully done.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Soo.. I got my Sage1 today.. Very NICE!! Dont know if it will kick the Caly SB out of the rfp but am sure it will do some time there!! Still will probably pull the trigger on a 3 if I can!!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Awesome review and pics! I got the Sage 1 earlier in the year and traded it for a Native 5 because I really wanted the Native. I really missed the Sage and recently purchased another one. Its now sitting in my pocket and I will not make the same mistake again.

I have the Sage 1 and Sage 2 and like both equally well. The only Spyderco I like better is the Caly 3.5...

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    Sounds like everything I thought about my Chaparral when I got it, almost to the letter in fact. It's a little smaller, but I prefer lockbacks to liner locks so I bought the Chaparral. The texture of the carbon fiber on the Chaparral 1 and Sage 1 is almost perfect in my opinion for a lightweight knife handle. They're more than grippy enough (Especially with a finger choil), very discreet, and can be used for light prying etc and will take a LOT to scratches or marks. Even people I've met that aren't knife people like to hold it and check out the texture of the handle. The best 2 knives of mine as far as fit and finish go are my Chokwe and Chaparral...both Taiwan Spydercos.

I currently own a Chaparral and was thinking of getting the Sage-1. Are the (2) knives too redundant to be worth owning both?
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012