Thread: Spyderco bench stones are good

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Spyderco bench stones are good

I've used the fine and UF grits for a few years and finally had the chance to use a medium grit 2x8" stone.

I believe if you want a great set of sharpening stone to sharpen your pocket knives or kitchen knives or about any knife in your house you need look no further for sharpening tools than Spyderco. The medium stone produces a great toothy edge if you want one and the fine grit is a nice smoother edge. Those two stones are all that anyone needs. If you want a more refined edge the UF is a great stone but not needed at all for the average person. Also, the finer the grit the higher the skill needs to be. That is my opinion based on my skill level changes in the past 3 years. The only time anyone needs to step outside the Spyderco selection is for coarser grits. I use DMT stones for them but there are lots of other choices. Some cheaper, some more expensive. I'll stick with the diamond stones for now myself.

The medium stone I have at my house is a loaner. I may or may not get one. My needs for that grit range are covered but the medium Spyderco does such a great job I just want one. I'll probably have one sooner or later. May search ebay for semi-used ones. Who knows? No me, that's for sure.

So, if anyone is struggling with which stones to get and their primary worry is buying something and not liking it, just buy Spyderco stones. If these stones don't give you great edges the stones aren't the problem. THEY WORK. The issue may be that someone needs a little practice, that's all.

Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I agree with you about the Spyderco stones, I'm quite satisfied with mine. I don't know that I'd buy a used medium stone, since I've heard that their structure is a bit more open than the finer white stones and as a result don't last quite as long. I guess for what they cost I'd rather get one that hasn't been beat on by somebody else first.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I chose the 2x8 benchstone trio as 10 year anniversary gift from my wife to me this past July. I have been UBER pleased and agree with Jack that these could satisfy most all knife users for their sharpening needs. I wonder if a 2x8 Diamond stone could be possible for a reasonable price? The same grit as the SM diamond stones.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I agree with you, Jack - these are awesome tools to have in your arsenal. To be honest, guys, I tend to use my medium bench stone more than the fine. I find it is useful for cleaning up the edges of all sorts of implements - tweezers, scissors, chisels, screwdrivers... you name it.

Sal did confirm that the binder material on the medium (grey) stones is designed to be somewhat "frangible" and it does wear with time. I can tell you that I beat the living tar out of my original SharpMaker for almost 20 years, and the grey triangles did develop some flat spots. However, I've been using my grey bench stone for almost 10 years now and I haven't noticed any appreciable dishing. This is a much better lifespan than almost any other stone I've had experience with.

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    I agree with you, Jack - these are awesome tools to have in your arsenal. To be honest, guys, I tend to use my medium bench stone more than the fine. I find it is useful for cleaning up the edges of all sorts of implements - tweezers, scissors, chisels, screwdrivers... you name it.

Sal did confirm that the binder material on the medium (grey) stones is designed to be somewhat "frangible" and it does wear with time. I can tell you that I beat the living tar out of my original SharpMaker for almost 20 years, and the grey triangles did develop some flat spots. However, I've been using my grey bench stone for almost 10 years now and I haven't noticed any appreciable dishing. This is a much better lifespan than almost any other stone I've had experience with.

TedP
    10 years? 20 years? Don't worry Ted. You'll get some consistancy from some sort of stones one day. That is a very good lifespan for any stone. And for the investment amount of Spyderco stones I doubt if the deal can be beat.

Right now I'm using the medium stone to re-profile my Manbug with ZDP (see pic in my signature). The med. stone is cutting the ZDP very well. I'm happy with it's performance even on harder steels. This is essential if you want knives with harder (better?) blade steels. I'm going to have to get this stone back to it's owner. Every time I pick it up I'm impressed again.

Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

Bumping this thread.

I have returned the medium stone. For now I won't get one because I have that grit range covered by other stones. But I'd recommend it to anyone needing a stone in this grit range.

I wish I could edit the title because I believe these stones need to be classified as better than just "good". IMO they perform far better than stones in their price range. I hate to include money when discussing performance but it is a reality. I'm bumping this thread so it can be seen by new people who may need stones. If anyone is new to sharpening and need new stones the medium and fine grit stones are as good a starting place as any. I should say this is IMO. So, IMO this is a fact. In fact they may be the last stones you buy. Of course this is just my opinion.

I have the bench stones but they are the same material used for the sharpmaker rods.

I have the very tiny fine grit triangle rod and the larger UF triangle rod. I seldom use them but when I need something this size they are worth their weight in gold.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    It is my understanding that the stones are solid ceramic, they certainly look that way to me and thus you can't really wear them out. Even if you did buy one which was damaged on the surface you could resurface the medium with some UF diamond sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    It is my understanding that the stones are solid ceramic, they certainly look that way to me and thus you can't really wear them out. Even if you did buy one which was damaged on the surface you could resurface the medium with some UF diamond sandpaper.
    Excellent points. I have Shapton glass stones for the EP that aren't cheap. I am slowly (very slowly) watching them get thinner. I use them a lot more than I need to because I play around trying to figure out sharpening stuff. They do come thicker than the standard 1/8" thick EP stones so that's good but sooner or later they will need to be replace with something. This is the case with most stones. I would hate to buy stones based on the fact that they don't wear out if they didn't berform very well but since the Spyderco stones do so great this is not the case. They perform great AND will last forever. Can't beat that. Buy one and never need another. Even the long lasting diamond stones like DMT and Atoma don't claim to never wear out. I've never worn out a DMT stone but professsionals might if they use them all day every day. Then again they may not if they use them properly.

Another thought about ceramic stones is the use of ceramic in knife blades. These things only need to be sharpened every few years or so because they are so hard. They will chip or break easy if you drop them. And you can't use any standard stones to sharpen them. Diamond stones are required.