Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Catalogs Available for Download Now!

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    4V, 9V, 10V, 15V are listed in the steel composition chart. Mules to come? Not sure if they have ever listed those steels before.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I was so content earlier today, now I am restless and excited. In my 2014 future I will be purchasing the following if for nothing more than to hold and sample.

Tusk, ROC, Kiwi 4, Tatanka, Clipitools, Spy-DK, and ALL OF THE SPRINTS

On another note, the catalog photos this year are really blowing me away. I personally enjoyed page 3.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    There are a lot of nice knives in the 2014 catalog, but everything new seems to be VG-10. VG-10 has fallen out of favor with me for a while now. Prices for Japan-made knives keep going up and it's still just VG-10.
    Taiwan-made knives have either S30V or XHP. Now we're talkin'! This year will probably be really cheap for me. The only items of interest are the Domino and the Hungarian. I really wish that Tatanka was XHP. I would have liked to get that one.

Anyone hazard to guess what will be on the discontinued list?

JD
    Last edited by JudasD; 11-20-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
    There are a lot of nice knives in the 2014 catalog, but everything new seems to be VG-10. VG-10 has fallen out of favor with me for a while now. Prices for Japan-made knives keep going up and it's still just VG-10.
    Taiwan-made knives have either S30V or XHP. Now we're talkin'! This year will probably be really cheap for me. The only items of interest are the Domino and the Hungarian. I really wish that Tatanka was XHP. I would have liked to get that one.

Anyone hazard to guess what will be on the discontinued list?

JD
    You mean this discontinued list? http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...-List-Official

Or are you already thinking a year ahead of time?

I had planned on getting some work done this evening, but instead spent my time looking through the new product guide. Some real surprises in there. Lots of cool new models, but that means now I'm even further behind on getting the Spydiewiki up to date!
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Thanks! Some amazing surprises in there
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Like the look of the Tusk, definitely in the don't need it but want category though. Nice to see a new lock in the lineup and some new handle styles like the draper and the firefly. Only disappointment for me is the kiwi4, wish it was reproduced closer to the original models, a shame it got the tactical black g10 FFG treatment, but plenty of other models to empty my wallet.

There sure is some great model in there. But as jabba said, VG-10 ain't what I like best. As I can't afford many knives, and even more to buy twice a model, I'll get one of the few in my secret wish list that is offered in something more special like XHP, S90V, S35V, M390,...(you understand my point) and pass on the one only available in vg-10, even if I really like the model. Damn it's bad being a steel nut with a low budget else I'd get every version of the models I like :P

On my I'll never own list:
    The damn ugly, childish looking, dumb I LOVE SPYDERMAN fanboy looking type - Mike Draper folder. The blade geometry doesn't appeals to me, but seems ok. But what an ugly handle design! Almost no ergo and cheap looking graphics! Total hate at first look.
    The P'kal, it simply looks like a defective design.

On the opposite of what someone said earlier, some new blade I really, really would love to try:
    The Battle Station look is awesome and really think it's shape would do great for me! Great new knife I think!
    The Roc, with it's unusual shape I'd love to try this one out!
    The Tatanka, Huge! Can't say if I'd love it, plus it's VG-10, but damn HUGE so it's another knife on my wish list :P
    The Southard, I know it's not a brand new design of the day, but I love that flipper!
    The Native 5 titanium fluted, I love the titanium fluted handle and it would gain me as a native 5 owner if I could afford one someday!
    The Military Titanium Fluted, nothing new, but damn a mili titanium fluted!

And some other good design but that only appeals me half as the previously named:
    The Yojimbo2, massive, and wondering how well it would do in fine cutting. Maybe it does with it's fine tip?
    The Starmate, good design but a little bit too boring for my taste to really want.
    The Kiwi4, seems real nice and might makes me want to try it soon.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto
    In the wish list model list (even if I can't afford to spend more on knifes): *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral or any K390 Spyderco decide to sprint in a folder design

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    G10 Worker is certainly the biggest attraction for me in the catalog. I need one, may be two.
    Couple other blades look interesting, but I will wait until I see Wouter's pictures and reviews to make decisions.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    G10 Worker is certainly the biggest attraction for me in the catalog. I need one, may be two.
    Couple other blades look interesting, but I will wait until I see Wouter's pictures and reviews to make decisions.
    Go on... admit it, you just love the color.

(so do I) It cartainly looks like they stayed true to the classic shape. I wonder what the price point will be on that one. $130 - $160 street?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Is page 17 text only for everyone, or am I the only one where it's not showing pictures of the Stretch and P'kals?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    No pics for me either, Paul.
    Ken
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
    JD
    Not like in previous years many new knives will be made in Japan. Probably Taiwanese maker like Golden at full capacity. Prices for everything are going up not only Japanese made knives. I was a little surprise to see that Hungarian folder has higher MSRP than Vallaton.
    Regarding VG10, I still love it. Lately my most used knife is Forum S110V Native5. I love it. No problem to sharpen or reprofiling. But I do not hesitate to use my VG10 Caly3.5, Persian or Kopa.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laethageal View Post
    The P'kal, it simply looks like a defective design.
    The P'kal has been around for quite a while and earned a lot of respect.

I get the "it doesn't look like my other knives" response. It was designed for a certain kind of reverse grip martial arts. In that vein, it seems it functions very well, as designed.

I'm not a martial arts guy. That aspect of any knife doesn't really matter to me.

But... It turns out the P'kal may well be the most functional EDC hawk blade Spyderco has ever released. It's slim and carries well. It's a great slicer.

I find most hawkbill knives to be limited to pull cutting tasks. Meaning I usually want to have a second blade for other work. Not so with the P'kal, it handles a much wider array of cutting and I'm very happy to own two.

This is not to say you would enjoy it. You probably wouldn't. But to say it's defective is just not supportable.

That said, the G10 KIWI is probably at the top of my list right now. Really liking the look.

Ken
    Last edited by kbuzbee; 11-21-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    玉鋼

On my I'll never own list:
    The damn ugly, childish looking, dumb I LOVE SPYDERMAN fanboy looking type - Mike Draper folder. But what an ugly handle design! Almost no ergo and cheap looking graphics!

If the Sebenza can have almost no scale ergo so can this one. I agree the graphics design is unappealing. I would have loved if they had used the red/black/golden scheme of their boxes on those scales.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    There are definitely some head scratcher models coming out. No need to point fingers since we all have different tastes. It is good to see diversity I guess. .

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I didn't meant to say it's defective, but that the weird looking shape of the blade restrain me from wanting to use such a knife. For some reason I find it creepy and it reminds me of a crow.
    In the wish list model list (even if I can't afford to spend more on knifes): *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral or any K390 Spyderco decide to sprint in a folder design

For those with picture trouble, I was experiencing the same when I opened the pdf with my browser. Firefox is buggy on this huge pdf and I had picture move over text and display the wrong way, with the translucent label of the picture showing semi-transparent black, hiding text again. Some pictures not showing up.

To fix it I simply saved the pdf and opened it with acrobat reader, or with any other good pdf viewer.

Definitely the Karahawk, Tatanka and Worker sprint. Some others may end up calling my name too.

I did not see the Friction Folder in this catalog. Did I miss it or has it been postponed? (It was in the 2013 catalog.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    It is good to see diversity I guess. .
    That is one of the things I've always loved about Spyderco. They will go out on a limb to give us something different. Be that shape, materials, colors, locks, grinds.. Whatever. Sometimes "the market" doesn't support their "diversity" and sometimes "the market" looks back in hindsight and says, "whoa, wait... That was genius!"

I was that way with the CF Balance. It just looked like an expensive, odd little knife. Fortunately Paul put me on to it in time. That little knife IS genius. It truly is. But I'm sure they went round and round deciding whether to even try it. I'm so glad they did.

I'm sure Spyderco could make a lot more money dedicating all their capacity to their leading lines. I, for one, am more happier the way things are.

Ken
    玉鋼

I didn't meant to say it's defective, but that the weird looking shape of the blade restrain me from wanting to use such a knife. For some reason I find it creepy and it reminds me of a crow.
    Cool. Just understand a lot of their designs really have to be used to be appreciated. I've found that more times than I can count. For me, the P'kal is one of those.

Ken

PS - and thanks for raising it's awareness. You got me thinking it's been too long since I've carried mine. Will do so today!
    Last edited by kbuzbee; 11-21-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by kingm View Post
    I did not see the Friction Folder in this catalog. Did I miss it or has it been postponed? (It was in the 2013 catalog.)
    I really thought we might see a Native 5 lightweight as well...

Ken
    玉鋼

For those with picture trouble,
    So page 17 shows up correctly for you? That was the only one I can't see and that's true in Safari and iBooks, both.

Ken
    玉鋼