Thread: Byrd vs Rescue or Rescue assist

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Byrd vs Rescue or Rescue assist

I see that spydercos value priced Byrd line has some decent rescue inspired folders. Does anybody have experience with these? Should I consider one or would you recommend I stick to the actual rescue line? I am basically looking for a medium duty knife to go in a bag for road travel and all around utility use. Thanks for your input!

Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    I would personally go with the assist.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I have always experienced great performance from the Rescue in VG-10. It is a great value folder in the regular line. The newest Rescue 3 has a great concoction of features evolved from years of CQI. If you want something to throw in a bag for a once in a blue moon occasion, the lower price point of the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue should serve you very well.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The Byrd will do 90% the job. It's just a bit more pedestrian in F&F and design.

Spyderco is good like that. You never get shorted on a functional tool. It's just less...evolved, I guess.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    The Byrd will do 90% the job. It's just a bit more pedestrian in F&F and design.

Spyderco is good like that. You never get shorted on a functional tool. It's just less...evolved, I guess.
    Great point. Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I have always experienced great performance from the Rescue in VG-10. It is a great value folder in the regular line. The newest Rescue 3 has a great concoction of features evolved from years of CQI. If you want something to throw in a bag for a once in a blue moon occasion, the lower price point of the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue should serve you very well.
    Cara cara! I forgot all about that one! Thank you, I'll consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by M80 View Post
    I would personally go with the assist.
    Thank you for your advice

My opinion may be off due to my spyderco rescue being probably the first release. However I trust the byrd rescue's 100 percent. I work around and in moving water with ropes a lot. I used to think fixed blade was better in this situation however due to 1000's of draws my spyderco's now pretty much open when I pull them out no thought involved. I like all the rescue and assist knives in both lines. I would personally say you get 100 percent the function in the byrd line. Fit and finish of course is not the same but they open and cut in high stress situations such that I would have to look which one i used after the fact if someone asked. Consider the meadowlark rescue as well. I just bought one for my sister who riverboards for Christmas. Man was I impressed. The sheepsfoot makes the blade seem much larger than I thought it would be. I will be getting one myself soon!

I have a Byrd rescue and various spydercos. The spyderco knives are definitely superior. That said, the Byrd rescue is surprisingly good.