Thread: Moon glow dragonfly

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Moon glow dragonfly

Just about finished this up (I still have to flare the lanyard tube today) but I'm proud of it, my first time working with the material. This is a gift for a good friend ( who will probabily chime in).

Anyone else got a custom moon glow project they want to share?

Just to elaborate as to what's going on with the lanyard tube there and why it needs flared- the factory tube is held in by its ends being flared inside the G10 scales, to get it out it pretty much either has to destroy the scales or be drilled out so it doesn't, not wanting to damage the factory scales I drilled it out and have replaced it with a piece of Ti tubing that I flame anodized (to match the clip) and I'm going to install it with a flare tool the same as factory, that's why it's looking a little deformed ATM, I don't have the right size die till I get over to my buddies house.
    Last edited by Cereal_killer; 11-19-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Nice. Is it the real moonglow material?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

It looks really cool,is it linerless?

Yes it's legit moon glow, its made of a G10 dragonfly2 so it has liners, its all factory only the scales have been swapped for moon glow scales.

Thanks guys.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    That's really cool, Cereal. Nicely done!

How soft is the MG material that you used? The sheets I've had in the past have been fairly scratch-prone - but I've heard they vary all across the map depending on who you get it from.

TedP

I got mine from USAKM, its sold as real moon glow, not a generic house brand GitD acrylic like some places and I have no reason to doubt them, I've dealt with them many times.

It is rather scratch prone, and I almost did a matt finish to combat that but in the end I liked it shiney to much to sand it down, just have to live with any scratches. Have you heard if anyone's tried to polish scratches out of it? I have some scraps, maybe I'll try it.

Ted, if you'd like the scraps are to small to be useful, I'll send you a piece of it to test if your interested in using it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    looks awesome! very well done
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Great job. Can you post some other angles for us to drool over?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

I'm not good at pic's, I'm gonna wait till its back to its owner [Lionesser] who can take much better pic's than I...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    So cool! I want one.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_killer View Post
    I got mine from USAKM, its sold as real moon glow, not a generic house brand GitD acrylic like some places and I have no reason to doubt them, I've dealt with them many times.

It is rather scratch prone, and I almost did a matt finish to combat that but in the end I liked it shiney to much to sand it down, just have to live with any scratches. Have you heard if anyone's tried to polish scratches out of it? I have some scraps, maybe I'll try it.

Ted, if you'd like the scraps are to small to be useful, I'll send you a piece of it to test if your interested in using it.
    I get my stuff from USAKnifemaker as well and have had my eyes on Moonglow, but haven't ordered any yet. Maybe I'll toss some in with my next batch of items. I wish I could find a place that sold the blue Moonglow, as I have a specific project I want it for but I can't seem to find the blue version anymore. Fortunately, I think I can get away with using blue GITD paint, as the glowing part doesn't need to be structural.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    I get my stuff from USAKnifemaker as well and have had my eyes on Moonglow, but haven't ordered any yet. Maybe I'll toss some in with my next batch of items. I wish I could find a place that sold the blue Moonglow, as I have a specific project I want it for but I can't seem to find the blue version anymore. Fortunately, I think I can get away with using blue GITD paint, as the glowing part doesn't need to be structural.
    Good luck, I literally waited on the "email me when back in stock" list 2 months, when I got the email I placed an order within minutes and the very next day it was back out of stock...

Nice job...!

When you flare that lanyard tube... be extra careful with the amount of circumfrential expansion you impose at that juncture of the moonglow! The acrylic is a homogenous plastic and WILL fracture easily if stressed at all. If you have any scrap you might find the limits your particular moonglow will accomodate before attempting it on that Dragonfly.