Thread: SAK (olr multitool) irreplaceable?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

SAK (olr multitool) irreplaceable?

Hi there!!!!

I EDC two knives, Huntsman and a Delica 4. I just can't seem to replace or stop carrying my SAK. For my lifestyle, it is just too important and has too many functions that I use quite often. I know that many people like multitools like Sogs and Leathermans as well, but how many of you either EDC two knives (one like a SAK) and a spydie or a multitool with your Spydie?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I compliment my Spyderco EDC system with a Leatherman Surge w/ bit kit everyday.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    I like to carry this one clipped to my left pocket, reserving my right for a Spyderco. It's an Alox MiniChamp with a Munroe Ti Dangler clip.

I've got a small Leatherman, the one with scissors instead of pliers, on my key chain. Folder in my pocket. In the field, I carry a Victorinox Swisstool RS, a fixed blade - usually a Mule, and a folder. Sometimes a back up folder, too. I wonder if I have a problem ...

Gordon

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I carry a Victorinox Spirit with a Clipdraw clip in my back right pocket next to my wallet. I may never carry another multi.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I used to carry a leatherman Minitool in my watch pocket, then I upgraded to a Charge AL using the pocket clip. It is bulky, but I have used it more times than I can count.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    I rarely carry a multi tool, but if I do it's a Leatherman Squirt. Goes in the watch pocket nicely.
    I carry a green Alox Classic, because I like the green.
    Last edited by Rwb1500; 11-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

Enjoy your edges folks

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jifigz View Post
    Hi there!!!!

I EDC two knives, Huntsman and a Delica 4. I just can't seem to replace or stop carrying my SAK. For my lifestyle, it is just too important and has too many functions that I use quite often. I know that many people like multitools like Sogs and Leathermans as well, but how many of you either EDC two knives (one like a SAK) and a spydie or a multitool with your Spydie?
    I too have the smallest SAK with scissor, knife and nail file/screw driver. The screwdriver is what I use the most. The profile fits small slotted screws and the tapered angle allows it to drive the two common Phillips screws found on computer hardware. I am hoping the new ClipTools bottle opener and screwdriver blade will replace my SAK. It really depends on the screwdriver, either if it is suitably ground or I am able to grind to the SAK profile. I would still like to have the toothpick, but could live without that feature.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User michaelm466's Avatar
    I carry a Victorinox Supertinker about 95% of the time in left pocket, sometimes I'll go with an Alox Soldier or Cadet.
    Southfork, Mule Team K390, Military CPM-M4/Ti, Military CTS-XHP, Military CF/M390, Para-Military 2 CPM-S90V, Para-Military 2 CTS-20CP, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P, Para-Military 2 M390, Para-Military 2 CTS-XHP, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Manix 2 XL, Manix 2 CPM-S30V/Blue G10, Manix 2 CTS-BD30P, Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CPM-M4, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Superhawk, Forum Native CPM-S110V, Endura Super Blue, Pacific Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Ladybug ZDP-189, Bug

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I usually carry my Victorinox Stayglow Rambler in my front left pocket and always a Wegner Executive 81 on my key fob. I have three Leatherman Micras, one stashed in the glovebox in my truck, one in my lunchbox, and one in my wife's purse.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User wescobts's Avatar
    I'll carry my SAK (Soldier, 1961 version) along with my Delica.
    learning it the hard way...

A Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my keychain replaced a SAK in the pocket. The tools are smaller but they work in a pinch and there's a proper toolkit or large multitool in the vehicles, garage and shooting bag if needed. I used to pocket carry different SAKs, up to the Champion in size, but that weight banging around at the bottom of my pocket when I hardly used the tools anyway got on my nerves.
    Adam

Spyderco Forum Registered User hiredgun's Avatar
    I always have a Spydie or two, a Swiss Army Alox Farmer or Cadet and a Skeletool on me. Today I carried this newly finish Damascus Mule with my SA Farmer:

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!

Spyderco Forum Registered User addylo's Avatar
    I've always got my Sage 1 and at least one multi-tool in my pocket.

The pocket tool rotates between a Leatherman Squirt, SAK Executive, or SAK Minichamp (love this little guy) depending on what I plan on doing that day. In addition I usually keep a Maxped Remora in the car with at least a Leatherman Fuse and SAK Champion Plus, along with one or two fixed blades and various other "essentials".
    C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133

Lately, the Spydies I've been carrying are my Pacific Salt SE and Tasman SE. But for over a decade, I've EDC'd a black Victorinox Executive in my RF pocket. There are many uses for it throughout the day. I also EDC a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit S on my belt. I've had many multi-tools before, but IMO this is the best.

I love SAKs and own a lot of them, and if not for the Spirit S, I would likely carry my Alox Pioneer, Farmer, or Tinker in addition to the Executive. But with the Spirit S, carrying any of them on a daily basis would be redundant.

I use the Spydercos for the more substantial cutting jobs, but the Victorinoxes can perform many functions besides cutting, many that would be either unsuitable or abusive for a purely cutting instrument. So I see no conflict in carrying both.

Jim

Leatherman skeletool for me with my dragonfly salt or pacific salt

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I always have a Leatherman Style PS.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I carry a Super Tinker loose in back right pocket, lock blade Spyderco in right front pocket. Each one has its place and both see a lot of use.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    Before gettng into Spydercos, I used to EDC an alox Pioneer for more than a decade as a primary blade.

Nowadays, I always carry a Pioneer on a clip LFP, with a Spydie RFP. They make an awesome combo IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by James Y View Post
    I use the Spydercos for the more substantial cutting jobs, but the Victorinoxes can perform many functions besides cutting, many that would be either unsuitable or abusive for a purely cutting instrument. So I see no conflict in carrying both.
    I could not have said it better. In addition, alox SAKs are cheap, tough, handsome looking, very corrosion resistant, easy to sharpen, and people friendly. Love them.
    Last edited by Brock O Lee; 11-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User sinkerslider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jifigz View Post
    Hi there!!!!

I carry a SAK Deluxe Tinkerer in a cordura pouch on my belt every day for work, but I also have at least one, usually two, Spyderco's on me as well. Have a Leatherman I carry sometimes too. But I hear ya, a SAK is a great option. Just depends on your needs.