Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPM Cru-Wear What do we know so far ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User HSS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo3000 View Post
    (BTW about your avatar, is it "Speedstar" logo the other name of M2HSS ?)
    The avatar is the Steelmark created by AISI back in the 60s. Depending on who you ask the three astroids represent different things. I like the idea of the three components used to make steel. Yellow - coal, orange - iron ore and blue scrap steel.

Speed Star® is the trade name used by Carpenter (CarTech) for their version of M2 HSS. Back in the day, every producer had a trade name for their tool and high-speed steels to differentiate them. Now that they are more of a commodity, the names don't mean as much.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Avatar looks like an NFL football team's logo, but I could be mistaken!?

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Avatar looks like an NFL football team's logo, but I could be mistaken!?
    Pittsburgh Steelers.

Just kidding bdblue! I'm from Pa also, just not a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    Just kidding bdblue! I'm from Pa also, just not a fan!
    I'm a structural engineer so I have a lot more interest in the steel industry than in the football team.

Ah, so you help build things! That's much more beneficial than watching 22 millionares run around for an hour!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemo3000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HSS View Post
    The avatar is the Steelmark created by AISI back in the 60s. Depending on who you ask the three astroids represent different things. I like the idea of the three components used to make steel. Yellow - coal, orange - iron ore and blue scrap steel.

Speed Star® is the trade name used by Carpenter (CarTech) for their version of M2 HSS. Back in the day, every producer had a trade name for their tool and high-speed steels to differentiate them. Now that they are more of a commodity, the names don't mean as much.
    yes ! That's why I asked ! M2HSS on modern folding knives is one of my traumatism ! :-)

I have update my blog with some thoughts on that GREAT C36:
    http://nemoknivesreview.wordpress.co...hades-of-grey/

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Welcome, HSS and thanks for the input. If I am ever able to get and try CPM Cruwear out I wilp likely jump at the chance though I have 2 excellent M4 knives (Manix2 and Mili). Sadly I have barely touched the Mili as I can't legally carry it and want to baby it (though I uave used it a bit just to enjoy the quality and capability). I do want to maintain a fair amount of condition and value but I use all of my knives so I exect it will break in a bit eventually. It really is my #1 grail knife so I do have a bit of pride and reverence for the engineering and design.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I've used my CruWear Mule quite a bit at Scout Camp and yardwork. It has impressed me with its edgeholding. I haven't really "stress tested" it in the field - but I haven't babied it either. It also hasn't developed a patina yet, either.

Here's a shot of it after I sent it back to Spyderco for re-heat treating and put brown canvas micarta scales on. I sharpened it up using a 35 degree back bevel with a small 42 degree edge bevel. Seems to be very stable at that config.

I have a second Mule that I put black linen micarta scales on. This one is used by my son primarily... The pictures of this one are pre-sharpening, as well. It has since been configured to the same 35/42 edge as my other one.

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    ^^^^ Beautiful Mule scales there Ted! Your own creations?
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Has the Spydercrew ever hinted that Cruwear will appear in knives beyond the Mule and Millie?
    IN MY POCKET: Air plus one from Manix/Native/Caly/Stretch/Para Military family. RECENTLY ARRIVED: SB Stretch Lightweight. ON MY RADAR: S110V Manix2 Lightweight (pre-ordered); CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5; Pingo. HOLY GRAILS: 440V Starmate (PE); Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 83mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Marc <- groupthink doubter since 1984 (first read in 1965...)

So far no stain...

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Need some shots after cutting citrus, or spreading mustard, or things like that?

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    I haven't noticed any staining of note on mine, but the blade has accumulated a whole bunch of scratches.

Vinegar, lemon juice, mustard... Nothing is triggering a patina. I had the same (non) results with CPM 3V.
    The EDC tests go on. :-)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    People must eat some interesting mustard for it to need spreading.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Japanese wet stone honing:

Mine hasn't taken on any patina yet either, but hasn't been around any significant acid so far. Thanks to all of you for your input to this great thread, which should be read and reread by all noobs or dilettantes. I'm not naming any names, but I am going to bookmark it for future readings
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List, new stuff: 4V Mule; New Stretch prototype CF slab/ZDP test sprint! (or left over super blue if any happens to be lying around!)
    Old stuff: FG Millie D2

Spyderco Forum Registered User DM11's Avatar
    Mine has a little patina from cutting a steak. I just wiped the blade off and forgot to wash it from a couple hours. When I remembered to wash the blade I had a nice little patina going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hold Fast

David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Blood seems to do the trick eh?
    Para-Military 2 satin camo, P'kal, Matriarch 2, Squeak, Endura 4, Delica 4, Jason Breeden Rescue, Orange Dodo, Dragonfly 2, Yojimbo 2, Manix 2 DLC Black, UKPK, Ulize, Lum Tanto Folder Grey, Caly 3.5, Swick 3, Bug, Grey G10 Jester, Military CPM Cru-Wear, Karahawk, Ladybug, Caly 3 Super Blue, Bradley Folder, Starmate, Ladybug Super Blue, Urban, Para-Military 2 CPM 154/S90V, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P

Bring back the A.T.R!