Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPM Cru-Wear What do we know so far ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks salmonkiller, all I needed was a little push. I just ordered one from Knives Plus.

Hopefully the bevels will be around 15 degrees each side and I can micro bevel it on my Sharpmaker. I am not sure I want to tackle a reprofile at the moment.

I recieved the blue S90V version a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying it ever since. I'll probably alternate using it and my new cruwear version and compare. I know it won't be a fair fight but it will be fun.

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. The Cruwear should be tougher so lower angles or harder use should be a great way to take advantage of the steel when compared to S90V

Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    Welcome to the forums. The Cruwear should be tougher so lower angles or harder use should be a great way to take advantage of the steel when compared to S90V
    Hmm, CPM Cruwear might be better suited for what I do than S90V. I am in the service/maintance field and use a knife for all sorts of things at work, e.g. cutting hose, belts, cardboard, slicing open parts bags and removing tips from silicon tubes.

I carried a blur for three or four years. About two years ago, I decided to do a little research and see if I could find something to replace it. A couple thousand dollars later, here I am.

My go to sharpening tools at the moment are the Sharpmaker with diamond stones, DMT 8XXC and DMT 8 coarse. I have reprofiled a few beaters, but cringe at the thought of taking coarse diamonds to a pretty factory edge on a high dollar knife.

I definitely understand the logic of taking advantage of supersteels by decreasing the bevel angles, I just dont have the sharpening skills to routinely reprofile them...yet.

I became a steel whore about a year ago and am just now starting to form opinions on what I like and don't like. CPM M4 and CPM 154 are my favorites. ZDP 189 pushes me places I'd just as soon not go, but my love for the Caly 3.5 keeps me at the grindstone.

Sorry for getting off topic. I love steel comparison threads.
    Last edited by sok; 11-17-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sok View Post
    Hmm, CPM Cruwear might be better suited for what I do than S90V. I am in the service/maintance field and use a knife for all sorts of things at work, e.g. cutting hose, belts, cardboard, slicing open parts bags and removing tips from silicon tubes.

I carried a blur for three or four years. About two years ago, I decided to do a little research and see if I could find something to replace it. A couple thousand dollars later, here I am.

My go to sharpening tools at the moment are the Sharpmaker with diamond stones, DMT 8XXC and DMT 8 coarse. I have reprofiled a few beaters, but cringe at the thought of taking coarse diamonds to a pretty factory edge on a high dollar knife.

I definitely understand the logic of taking advantage of supersteels by decreasing the bevel angles, I just dont have the sharpening skills to routinely reprofile them...yet.

I became a steel whore about a year ago and am just now starting to form opinions on what I like and don't like. CPM M4 and CPM 154 are my favorites. ZDP 189 pushes me places I'd just as soon not go, but my love for the Caly 3.5 keeps me at the grindstone.

Sorry for getting off topic. I love steel comparison threads.
    As far as sharpening is concerned , different steel require different types of stones to get the best edge for the steel. FOr example Edge Pro stones are going to work fairly well on wider variety of steels but when you get to sharpen something like ZDP-189 you need to get different stones to get the job done, with little hassle and with superb results. Naniwa Chosera for example will work well with super steels in general, Shaptons too. I hate that Chosera for Edge Pro are so expensive though, the price is almost as for a full sizes stone.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    As far as sharpening is concerned , different steel require different types of stones to get the best edge for the steel. FOr example Edge Pro stones are going to work fairly well on wider variety of steels but when you get to sharpen something like ZDP-189 you need to get different stones to get the job done, with little hassle and with superb results. Naniwa Chosera for example will work well with super steels in general, Shaptons too. I hate that Chosera for Edge Pro are so expensive though, the price is almost as for a full sizes stone.
    Thanks for the comments, I will probably buy an Edge Pro after the holidays.

My reprofiles have been done by bolting down my Sharpmaker to a workbench and zip tying my DMT plates to the SM diamond rods in the 30 degree holes, and sharpening until I get a burr on each side.

It seems like the EP would give me more precision and confidence to go at a high end knife. I think it would also compliment what I already have.

If the Cruwear Military is still in my user rotation when I get the EP, I may take its bevels down to twenty degrees inclusive and see how it compares.

I am still not sure to what level I am going take this sharpening thing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    sok,
    Here is a link to some tips for sharpening the Military on the Sharpmaker http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...ght=edge+angle

best regards,
    salmonkiller
    Last edited by salmonkiller; 11-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemo3000's Avatar
    CPM Cru-Wear edge not affected by soda cans:

Neither by cardboard recycling:

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Nemo, show us steel cans and staples!

No! We want cars and carnage!

Children, I do remember a review made looong time ago about the M2HSS version of the Benchmade AFCK where the reviewer was stabbing a car hood...
    Not my style. I'm going to wear a hockey mask and show to the world what a sledgehammer can do to those hidden liners !!!!

Ok time to compare CPM Cru_Wear and CPM M4...

Spyderco Forum Registered User HSS's Avatar
    Compared to ingot made Cru-wear the CPM version will have better toughness/chip resistance, but the same or very similar wear. The differences you see on the data sheets for chemistry are more than likely not really significant. Someone different made each and just used different nominals. The carbides in ingot Cru-wear are not as big and blocky as D2, but they are still more so than any powder made steel. That will make the chip resistance better in the CPM version. It will not be as tough as 3V. There is a similar amount of vanadium (slightly less) but it has a significant amount of tungsten and the extra carbon (1.10 vs. 0.80 wt%). That will reduce the toughness compared to 3V. Someone mentioned S30V also. CPM Cru-wear would not wear as well as S30V since it has much less vanadium and carbon, but it will be tougher. These comparisons are all based on the metallurgy of the steels. Knife geometry and especially heat treatment can play a big part of how they actually perform in any knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HSS View Post
    Compared to ingot made Cru-wear the CPM version will have better toughness/chip resistance, but the same or very similar wear. The differences you see on the data sheets for chemistry are more than likely not really significant. Someone different made each and just used different nominals. The carbides in ingot Cru-wear are not as big and blocky as D2, but they are still more so than any powder made steel. That will make the chip resistance better in the CPM version. It will not be as tough as 3V. There is a similar amount of vanadium (slightly less) but it has a significant amount of tungsten and the extra carbon (1.10 vs. 0.80 wt%). That will reduce the toughness compared to 3V. Someone mentioned S30V also. CPM Cru-wear would not wear as well as S30V since it has much less vanadium and carbon, but it will be tougher. These comparisons are all based on the metallurgy of the steels. Knife geometry and especially heat treatment can play a big part of how they actually perform in any knife.

That's a real teaser for a first post Uncloak and give us some personal background please!

Spyderco Forum Registered User HSS's Avatar
    Yea, I guess it was. I hadn't really thought about the post count on my account. I've been more of a "lurker" on forms than a poster. For some reason I just felt like posting. I'm a metallurgist by schooling and occupation. I work with tool steels on a daily basis. I've seen a fair amount of ingot cast Cru-wear, Lescowear, Vascowear under a microscope so I know the structure. I've also worked with many powder grades from Crucible, Carpenter, Bohler, Erasteel, DSS, etc. I'm not a knife expert by far, just an enthusiast. I do know tool steels and the heat treatment of them very well though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HSS View Post
    Yea, I guess it was. I hadn't really thought about the post count on my account. I've been more of a "lurker" on forms than a poster. For some reason I just felt like posting. I'm a metallurgist by schooling and occupation. I work with tool steels on a daily basis. I've seen a fair amount of ingot cast Cru-wear, Lescowear, Vascowear under a microscope so I know the structure. I've also worked with many powder grades from Crucible, Carpenter, Bohler, Erasteel, DSS, etc. I'm not a knife expert by far, just an enthusiast. I do know tool steels and the heat treatment of them very well though.
    Don't be shy about sharing more, it is much appreciated.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    +1 and thanks for becoming more of a poster than a lurker.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    HSS,
    thank you for you contribution and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    Ditto.
    Thank HSS for your very first input. Thanks to you too, the riddle of CPM Cru-wear is on a verge to be discovered.
    (BTW about your avatar, is it "Speedstar" logo the other name of M2HSS ?)

So if I understand well. CPM Cru-Wear is a very fine carbids steel.
    I continue to use my C36 on a certain amount of daily cardboard and aluminium (and other kitchen duty which are my ways to check the sharpness... tomatoes are a great test!). The edge is tough. No rolling, no chipping. No stapple and no car hood... yet. ;-)
    I feel very confident about this Military thin point too and having a tougher steel on this platform is real improvement IMHO. This one is destined to be the hardcore version of the C36.
    Eventually the handle is more stained than the blade. Grey G10 needs daily cleaning too. :-)
    Cheers
    Nemo

I actually like the gray G10 when it gets a bit dirty, only wipe the worst of my PM2

My Cruwear Millie is still in the US, but I have a LionSpy arriving in a few days to keep me occupied

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    HSS, thanks and welcome to Spyderco. Hope you do more posting.

Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"