Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CPM Cru-Wear What do we know so far ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Nemo3000's Avatar

CPM Cru-Wear What do we know so far ?

Hi everybody,

"Powder produced CPM® CRU-WEAR® ups the ante. Through powdered steel technology, the steel is made easier to machine with improved resistance to chipping over the original smelted CRU-WEAR®. The powdered variety also attains a higher hardness factor through greater percentages of tungsten and molybdenum that result in a secondary hardening response."

Does it mean CPM CRU-WEAR is different in composition ?
    Where could I find it ?

So far, it's seems to be a steel cousin to CPM3V.
    It got a very good respond to leather stropping.
    And I was not able to create a patina on my Millie.

So what do you know about CPM Cru-wear so far?

Cheers Nemo
    Last edited by Nemo3000; 11-16-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    I believe Cruwear is not as tough as 3V and has more wear resistance.It's a step up from D2, but not as corrosion resistant.I am pondering what angle to re-profile my Cruwear at on the WE...I think it will be a really tough steel that will shine at a medium grit finish in the 600 to 1000 range.Any suggestions?
    Best regards,
    salmonkiller
    Last edited by salmonkiller; 11-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The data sheet actually shows lower Tungsten, but slightly higher Carbon - the hardening/tempering response looks to be a direct table copy :

-http://www.nsm-ny.com/files/CPM%20CRUWEAR.pdf

-http://www.nsm-ny.com/files/CRUWEAR-WITH-TAGS.pdf

Nemo, interesting if you had a decent 3V knife to compare.

PDF http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataS...wearv12010.pdf
    This one is easier for my to read.
    Thank you gentlemen for the links..

Vegas Blade over BF/Spyderco forums compared M4 with this. Hope it helps

Is it "CPM" Cru-Wear or just Cru-Wear ?.....

My question is NOT about classical "Cru-Wear" but the CPM version of it a.k.a. the "Powdered Variety"... Please read it again before to post informations on "normal" Cru-Wear:

"The powdered variety also attains a higher hardness factor through greater percentages of tungsten and molybdenum that result in a secondary hardening response."

Does it mean CPM CRU-WEAR is different in composition ?
    Where could I find it ?"

Thank you.
    Nemo

PS: it was the same confusion some years ago about "CPM M4" and "M4"....;-)
    Last edited by Nemo3000; 11-16-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    This blade is CPM-CruWear, powdered metal not ingot. I believe we read here that this is the first use of the CPM form in cutlery.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    This blade is CPM-CruWear, powdered metal not ingot. I believe we read here that this is the first use of the CPM form in cutlery.
    Yes, that's why informations on the CPM version of Cru-Wear is quiet rare and relied on ELU experiences. We are lucky beta testers on that.
    So what do we know so far about the CPM version ? :-)

I clicked on this thread thinking some people had actually use theirs

I use mine everyday.
    So far so good.
    No chipping. No patina.
    I would love to find an update of the steel chart.
    But really, I love it.
    It's a great improvement for strengthening the point of the Millie. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo3000 View Post
    I would love to find an update of the steel chart.
    Nemo, both the ingot and P/M versions of the steel have the manufacturer charts in the above posts.

Hi Nemo,
    Looking at the charts the differences look very small. I do not thing you would be able to notice the difference between the CPM version and the ingot version in knife use. Good to hear you are enjoying yours!

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    I have used mine a bit also. I really like it, seems to be a pretty happy medium between toughness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance. I too have not noticed any patina, rust, or signs of corrosion. I have noticed above average stability at the edge (esp. compared to SS's). I find that ultimate wear resistance is nice and all, but if the edge breaks down due to a slight hap hazard approach to use (some side to side action, not perfectly perpendicular draw or push cuts), then the ultra high wear resistant steels don't shine. I think CPM CRUWEAR along with CPM M4 are the perfect steels in the Military platform. Sadly, I only have the Bradley in M4.

As far as the composition differences, it might be slightly different to take advantage of the powder metallurgy process. I don't know enough to give a definite answer, but that would be my guess. It's kind of like having an engine with a higher compression ratio, but not using higher octane gas. If you don't put a little extra this or that, then the PM process might not have any real effect, just like a high performance engine with 87 octane.

I will run this knife through it's paces over time and while in the field and edc.This steel is not as tough as 3v which is my choice for a hard use fixed blade,and does not have the off the chart edge retention of M4 or S110v.Seems like a really good trade off with balance and a really sweet spot for a hard use outdoor folder.I feel the Military platform is the ideal spot for this steel in the Spyderco lineup.This is why I choose Spyderco time and time again.Cruware CPM is the powdered version of this steel and I am tossing a big thanks out there to Sal for making this happen as I read somewhere he has been asked for years to make this sprint a reality.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Based on the differences in user experiences with 154CM and CPM-154, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPM version of CruWear performed differently and better...but who knows? And there's always the subjectivity factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Based on the differences in user experiences with 154CM and CPM-154, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPM version of CruWear performed differently and better...but who knows? And there's always the subjectivity factor.
    Yes ! :-)

Thank you Cliff, yes I have found the good PDF.
    (Such a shame Spyderco is not available on Tapatalk, my answers while on the go have not been recorded...)

Anyway... Yes !
    So we need more inputs !

I can state CPM Cru-Wear is stainless and impervious to kitchen duty.
    I need to test the tip strength now. Can opening anyone ? :-D

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    I can state CPM Cru-Wear is stainless and impervious to kitchen duty.
    Maybe but it's still early to tell. I haven't had any corrosion issues with mine so far, but I'm pretty good about keeping the blade clean after use.

I need to test the tip strength now. Can opening anyone ? :-D
    Let us know how that works out for ya I'd guess the tip is a little thin for that kind of use regardless of the steel in question.

I've been using mine a good bit and I will agree with a statement above that this is a nicely balanced steel. Not the toughest, not the best edge retention, etc. but a good all around combination of desirable qualities. I have found that it doesn't take much to put a very sticky sharp edge on and it touches up really quickly.

Hey all, new member here with a couple of questions.

How does this Cruwear compare to S30V? Is it still too early to tell? I would think it would be an upgrade since the CPM Cruwear Military is a limited production model.

I am trying to decide if I should chase the Cruwear Military or order the standard S30V version. I am not concerned about collectability. It will be a user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sok View Post
    Hey all, new member here with a couple of questions.

How does this Cruwear compare to S30V? Is it still too early to tell? I would think it would be an upgrade since the CPM Cruwear Military is a limited production model.

I am trying to decide if I should chase the Cruwear Military or order the standard S30V version. I am not concerned about collectability. It will be a user.

Thanks
    Grab the sprint now and don't look back...You can always get the production model at some point.I re-profiled my Cruwear on the WE diamonds to 800 grit at 20 degrees.I will see how this combination works for me and may take go down to 600 and adjust the angle next time.I think that's a good starting point for my usage.I would love to see someone do some testing comparing Cruwear to Elmax. Elmax is pretty tough for a stainless and has a little better edge retention than S30V in my opinion.I think that testing would give us a good reference point as to where Cruwear falls as far as edge retention.Someone was kind enough to do some testing against M4 and posted the results on bladeforums. I learned there are many variables when comparing steels.The re-profile went very quickly for me on the diamond stones.I hope you all enjoy your knives......
    Best regards,
    salmonkiller
    Last edited by salmonkiller; 11-16-2013 at 07:47 PM.