Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sage 3 Revamp and Some Thoughts

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Hi Araneae,

Thanx for the input. I'll bring it up with Eric. Nothing can be done on the next run.

sal
    You are very welcome. Thanks for listening.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny88 View Post
    My blue sage is awesome and enjoy it along with my Sage 1.....actually worked from home today and can't tell you how many times I opened and closed my blue beauty when reading. Opens butter smooth ,love the blue colour also. Thanks for a great knife Sal. New to the Spyderco world and my next is the Caly 3.5 in ZDP-189. Cheers
    Welcome to the forums! You won't be disappointed with any caly variation
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Johnny,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User computernut's Avatar
    The Sage3 is one of my favourites:

I love the lock and don't mind the blue G10 but going with black CF/G10 scales will probably make me buy another! How about XHP while we're at it
    I like the current metal studs but the mechanism is a bit stiff, especially at first or you're used to Axis locks.

I was a bit put off by the sage 3 at first like alot of you, so I purchased the sage 1 and 2 and held off on the 3. Then I heard they were going to be discontinued so I picked one up the other day. Let me tell you, that blue grows on you!!! The sage is such a great knife I will also buy the new version of the sage 3, especially if the cf scales resemble the domino!

The new 2014 catalog is out and the sage 3 CF is beautiful! Just like the domino and new szabo! Going to get this one!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    the new sage 3 is incredibly beautiful, depending on the price, ill be getting one
    Last edited by Holland; 12-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I'm surprised to read that people find the lock of the Sage 3 stiff, or difficult to operate. Mine has been very smooth and easy to operate with one finger or thumb since day one. I find it much easier to operate than the Manix 2's CBBL.

The new CF scales look nice, but I wonder, is the handle still solid like the G-10 version?
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    The spring on the Bolt Action is much stiffer than the Axis lock's omega springs. That's usually what they are comparing it to.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    The spring on the Bolt Action is much stiffer than the Axis lock's omega springs. That's usually what they are comparing it to.
    That, and/or the Axis bar is a little easier to get some flesh on. Another consideration - the Axis lock uses two very fine gauge omega-shaped springs, rather than the single coil spring in the Sage 3, which probably requires more pressure to unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    the new sage 3 in incredible beautiful, depending on the price, ill be getting one
    Should be 140-150 actual intern price id say.....Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    I haven't compared against other Sage 3s but the Bolt Action on my Sage 3 has always been comparable to the Axis lock on any of my Benchmade knives in spring strength since day one.

The Sage 3 was the first of the Sage series that I've picked up and since then I've gotten both 1 and 2 and looking to eventually get 4. Now I'm going to have to pick up the new 3 as well.

This is my first post here so "Hi to everybody, btw".

I'm in.

I also have to get the sage4, along with the updated sage 3! Just received my blue sage3 last week and the bolt operates beautifully, although the spring tension is stronger than the axis locks of my Barrage, Volli, Griptillian, Ball-axis flipper, and HK Snody!

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arugess View Post
    I haven't compared against other Sage 3s but the Bolt Action on my Sage 3 has always been comparable to the Axis lock on any of my Benchmade knives in spring strength since day one.

The Sage 3 was the first of the Sage series that I've picked up and since then I've gotten both 1 and 2 and looking to eventually get 4. Now I'm going to have to pick up the new 3 as well.

This is my first post here so "Hi to everybody, btw".
    Welcome aboard!
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Just got to handle a Sage 3 today for the first time, and I'm pretty impressed. It's every bit as smooth as my Sage 1, and I found the lock to be extremely easy to disengage with just my thumb. It was hard handing it back to the guy to put back into the case. If someone spots this one for cheap now that it's disco, please shoot me a PM.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I ordered mine off ebay! Don't remember the seller but it was $110 with shipping included!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Managed to snag one out of the bay brand new last week for $90 (pays to watch that place closely sometimes) after seeing it on the disco list. Absolutely love the lock, it operates like greased lightning, super easy to handle with one hand (finger or thumb, way easier than any Manix I have). I also definitely like the checked CF version that replaces it, too bad I swapped my Domino scale for a coarse G10 one...

Only recently have I tried out some of the Sage series members and as a tried-and-true Caly devotee, I will certainly say that I have been really overly impressed with them (much more so than I expected to be, but when dealing with Spyderco products, that level of quality especially from the Taichung plant really shouldn't surprise me anymore).
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

So are you going to get the new sage3 CF?

Administrator
    One thing I particularly like about the Sage3 is that its lock release is ambidextrous. Although the Gerber versions offered more purchase with the stepped button, they only had one button that was right-hand biased. Releasing the Spyderco version with thumb and index finger together makes it completely ambidextrous and provides a feel similar to a caged Ball Bearing Lock or Axis Lock.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts