Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

Thread: Sage 3 Revamp and Some Thoughts

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South of the Erie shore, Ohio
    Posts
    3,853

    Sage 3 Revamp and Some Thoughts

    Originally Posted by Michael Janich
    To clarify the status of the Sage 3, it is being discontinued in its current form with a blue G-10 handle. However, it is being replaced by the same knife made with black cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales--the same material that will be used on the black-bladed Szabo. As such, if you're a fan of the Bolt Action Lock (I am), life is still very good.

    Stay safe,

    Mike
    So this is good news to those of us who know what a great knife the Sage 3 is. The smurf blue as we suspected may have been off-putting to enough consumers to prompt this revamping of the model.

    I just thought I would take the opportunity to make a suggestion to Sal and Co. I find that the lock release mechanism is a bit less friendly to use than say the CBBL on the Manix 2. I know that I mentioned this early on after Sal sent me one of the first production models. I had sent him an old Gerber bolt action to examine when they were working on the design and it had a plastic ramped lever that I find much more comfortable to use. The current mechanism on the S3 for example is a bit tricky to use with gloved hands. I would suggest a move to a more ramp like release such as the shape of the original Gerber knife or the Manix 2. The current stepped stud design just doesn't provide as much surface area for the thumb to grab on to as a ramped style mechanism would. I am attaching a photo of the Gerber mechanism below. I think something similar in steel would be a nice improvement. Just my $.02
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

    Just got: Superblue D'fly

    The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,248
    good idea, i think the biggest turnoff for me is the width though
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3


    -Spencer

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,542
    Wow, that sounds great. I hope it doesn't get TOO expensive.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID
    Posts
    649
    Sage with the CBBL would be awesome.

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    261
    I think that is a good idea. I'm curious if that sort of change still works with the intention of the Sage series or not? Does the actual thumbstud used to actuate the bolt action lock have to be in the spirit of what Blackie Collins designed or can that be altered to make it more friendly to work?

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,204
    This is one of the Sage's that I haven't got to see in person. Can someone post a pic of the thickness difference? It's also the one that interests me the most (lost style that is), but I never liked the smurf blue and figured if I bought one the first thing I'd do is dye it. Depending on how this effects the price, I may be looking into getting one of the new ones.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    40
    I always like the Sage 3 but I wasn't a huge fan of the blue scales. I like that they are changing it.

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    This is one of the Sage's that I haven't got to see in person. Can someone post a pic of the thickness difference? It's also the one that interests me the most (lost style that is), but I never liked the smurf blue and figured if I bought one the first thing I'd do is dye it. Depending on how this effects the price, I may be looking into getting one of the new ones.
    I know from watching a video review that the Sage 3 was wider in the handle than the 1 or 2

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Virginia
    Posts
    3,358
    I really like the Sage 3. The size is approximately the same as the others - maybe a bit taller - but the G10 and the solid backspacer make it significantly more stout. I do find that I have to use thumb and forefinger on each side of the lock to actuate it, though. This isn't too awkward because I just flip the blade shut using the same motion that I do for the Para2...

    This is one of my favorite Spydies.

    TedP




  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisiana USA
    Posts
    2,744
    The Sage 3 is my least favorite, it's the BLUE.
    The lock was a bear to unlock, then took it apart, polished the contact areas, that worked. It can be one handed with thumb and index finger now.

    I like the wider blade, the heaver over all feel. I did "round" the spine of the blade to make it appear narrower. Nice knife.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

    SCARAMOUCHE!

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,125
    I always wanted a Sage 3, but held off because of the blue. This is the first I've heard of the new iteration. I'd very much like to have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    Change is the only constant...

    ...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

    Enjoy your edges folks

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Golden, Colorado USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Hi Araneae,

    Thanx for the input. I'll bring it up with Eric. Nothing can be done on the next run.

    Hi Hawkeye,

    Welcome to our forum.

    Thanx much to all for the input.

    sal

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID
    Posts
    649
    Wow. With all the non-love for blue, maybe I'll pick up another one while I still can.

    I actually like the blue a lot.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Land of the Bean and the Cod
    Posts
    4,730
    Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    So this is good news to those of us who know what a great knife the Sage 3 is. The smurf blue as we suspected may have been off-putting to enough consumers to prompt this revamping of the model.

    I just thought I would take the opportunity to make a suggestion to Sal and Co. I find that the lock release mechanism is a bit less friendly to use than say the CBBL on the Manix 2. I know that I mentioned this early on after Sal sent me one of the first production models. I had sent him an old Gerber bolt action to examine when they were working on the design and it had a plastic ramped lever that I find much more comfortable to use. The current mechanism on the S3 for example is a bit tricky to use with gloved hands. I would suggest a move to a more ramp like release such as the shape of the original Gerber knife or the Manix 2. The current stepped stud design just doesn't provide as much surface area for the thumb to grab on to as a ramped style mechanism would. I am attaching a photo of the Gerber mechanism below. I think something similar in steel would be a nice improvement. Just my $.02
    Nicely thought through and stated. I would vote with you.

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liberal, Kansas
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    I think that is a good idea. I'm curious if that sort of change still works with the intention of the Sage series or not? Does the actual thumbstud used to actuate the bolt action lock have to be in the spirit of what Blackie Collins designed or can that be altered to make it more friendly to work?
    Considering the stud used is a pretty major change from what Blackie designed, I'd have to say the answer is no. First generation Bolt Action Folder:

    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Johnny88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    28
    My blue sage is awesome and enjoy it along with my Sage 1.....actually worked from home today and can't tell you how many times I opened and closed my blue beauty when reading. Opens butter smooth ,love the blue colour also. Thanks for a great knife Sal. New to the Spyderco world and my next is the Caly 3.5 in ZDP-189. Cheers
    Last edited by Johnny88; 11-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
    Posts
    3,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny88 View Post
    My blue sage is awesome and enjoy it along with my Sage 1.....actually worked from home today and can't tell you how many times I opened and closed my blue beauty when reading. Opens butter smooth ,love the blue colour also. Thanks for a great knife Sal. New to the Spyderco world and my next is the Caly 3.5 in ZDP-189. Cheers
    Welcome to the forum!
    -Kyle


    On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    231
    I'm excited to see what the new Sage 3 is going to look like but i have a feeling im not going to be crazy about it

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    474
    Something about the sage 1 that really catchesmy eye versus the 3. They both lol great thiugh. Kinda like a smaller manix. I am definitely a manix fan versus a para or military fan. One of the sage knives might be next for me
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

  20. #20
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Iron Islands
    Posts
    1,137
    Wow. I'm kinda excited for this.
    Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •