Thread: Yojimbo 2 handle mods V2

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Yojimbo 2 handle mods V2

Still not quite satisfied with my Yo 2, I broke out the Dremel for another round of modifying. My goal (as it was originally) is not to completely change the shape of the grip, but more to reshape the basic design to better fit my hand/fingers. Any time you have a knife with defined finger grooves, it's going to be hit and miss as to how those "points" line up for each person. For me, the front choil where the index and middle fingers rest wasn't quite long enough, so my middle finger was riding on that first point in the middle of the handle.

Initially I modified that first choil area to make it extend up further into the pivot/blade area, in an effort to make it bigger. This time I sanded down the flat area leading up to that first point, which ultimately moved the point further back and repositioned it between my middle and ring fingers. Lastly, I rounded off those points to make them less abrasive in the hand if my fingers do find their way onto them.

Before:

After:

It's sort of hard to explain and capture in pics, but the difference is amazing.

Lastly, I put my attention to the infamous "compression lock finger bite" that this lock is notorious for. I rarely get bit by my Para 2, so I looked into why the Yo 2 bites me almost every time. It seemed to me that the pinch point was between the lock tab and the corner of G10 just behind the top portion of exposed liner. I used a drill bit style router bit to preserve the founded corner and keep it factory looking, and ground that area out until it just about hit the liner. Then I sanded down the leading edge of the lock tab to give it a little more clearance. I may take this down even more, as comparing it to the Para 2 you can see how much more clearance that lock has.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up Awesome!

Hi Mr. Evil D!

This is simply awesome!

Is amazing how these little mods actually improved a lot the grip and usage of your Yo2.

Really well done, Sir!

And thanx much for the idea!
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    good work evil! the handle still looks factory quality!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I did the same to mine teh first day that I owned it back in Nov 2011. It kept pinching my
    finger when opening. I also dremeled out enough to make the spyder hole completely in
    view when it is closed. Both mods makes it much easier to open and close one handed.

I knowthat MJ said that wasn't a big part of his design, but it is important to me to be able
    to get to my SD knife with only one hand and then to be able to quietly put it back if it isn't
    really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BAL View Post
    I did the same to mine teh first day that I owned it back in Nov 2011. It kept pinching my
    finger when opening. I also dremeled out enough to make the spyder hole completely in
    view when it is closed. Both mods makes it much easier to open and close one handed.

I knowthat MJ said that wasn't a big part of his design, but it is important to me to be able
    to get to my SD knife with only one hand and then to be able to quietly put it back if it isn't
    really needed.
    I thought about uncovering the hole, but I have two issues stopping me. 1) I worry that a half circle/notch in that spot to uncover the hole will disrupt the feeling of the grip in that spot, and 2) If you go that far into the G10 you hit the liners and I wasn't sure how that would look.

Got any pics?

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mako109's Avatar
    David - beautiful work! Did you disassemble your Yojimbo before applying the Dremel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako109 View Post
    David - beautiful work! Did you disassemble your Yojimbo before applying the Dremel?
    I did, because I needed to know how much metal there was around the pivot, since grinding into the handle meant grinding into the pivot area of the blade as well. Also there is a circle made by the detent ball on the tang of the blade, and you need to be careful not to grind into this circle or the detent ball will fall off the tang during opening and make a really notchy opening action. I just barely got into mine and I can feel the ball roll on the edge of the blade in that spot but it doesn't hurt the opening action too much, especially when flicked open fast.

~David

Evil, I just now saw your request for pictures. I will take some and post them as soon as I
    can. Yes I did get into the liners, but Imade them even and it looks fine to me. The ability
    to open the knife easier one handed was more important than showing a little bit of liner.

THe first one I modified took me a few hours, because I wasn;t exactly sure what I wanted
    to do and I was using small hand files, because I didn't have a dremel. Afterward I made a
    trip to Lowes and loaded up on a dremel and accessories.

When I got my second Yo2, I was home and the wife yelled and said that supper (I'm an
    old farm boy, we call it supper, maybe it's supposed to be dinner) would be ready in a couple
    minutes. I grabbed teh dremel, loaded up a grinding tool and my new Yo2 and it took about
    5 minutes to expose the hole and to open up the opening area on the back to look like the
    Para 2.

The second time, I had the dremel and I knew exactly how much I wanted to take off. I
    left the knife together and simply washed it in soap and water after and oiled it. Smooth as
    silk to open and close one handed.
    together

Evil
    Here are some pictures that I took that shows some mods that I made to the Yo2 to expose the hole and smooth out the closing area.
    The pics aren't great, I took in a hurry in between doing about fifty things, but maybe they can show what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good, I'm not sure about exposing the liners though. Seems like you'd have the ends of the G10 really thin and they could eventually peel up and snag your fingers. I'll have to think on this one.

~David

David, I'm not sure whta you mean by the G-10 ends being thin. Maybe it's the way that
    the picture looks, again it's not great pics. I have had one of them fixed this way since
    November 2011 and I use it as an EDC and use it quite a bit.

Isn't there a spot where the G10 is thin where you ground into the liners? With the way the liners are nested, there has to be a spot where the G10 comes through and there's gonna be an edge there that's left from grinding through it. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

~David

I ground the G10 and liner back evenly, but did have a slight angle in the G10
    to create a better feel. I haven;t had any issues and will modify any other Yo2's
    that I buy in the future, including the PPCF that is due somtime later in the year.

Everyone has a different grip and way of opening and closing. I simply tried to
    make the Yo2 look and feel more like the Para 2. I like to pull from the pocket,
    open and close with one hand and return without looking at the knife or thinking
    about it.

Good luck if you do anything more. The problem is that you can't replace it easily
    if it doesn't exactly suit you.

I'm just real hesitant because as it is now, the grip really works well for me. It feels as good in my hand as any knife I've ever handled. I tend to flick this one open with my index finger more than using my thumb, because the weight of the blade makes it so easy to do. Then again, if the hole was easier to get at with the thumb, that might change. I really just wish it had a 14mm hole, that would solve a lot of the problem and I don't think it would make it any more weak...the blade is so much more stout than a Para 2 and I haven't heard of anyone breaking that blade because of the size of the hole.

If you get time can you take a pic of the under side of the grip so I can see how the liners look when they're exposed?

~David

OK BAL, you inspired me to take it a step further. I went as far into the G10 as I felt comfortable, just about 1/64 before I go through the G10 and start grinding into the liners. This almost completely uncovers the hole, there's less than 1/16 still covered. To help improve hole access, I enlarged and reshaped the grooves leading into the hole. Together they've made a huge improvement in thumb access, as well as flickability.

Symmetry is pretty important to me. I wanted the scales to look as if Spyderco made them (better in fact since the factory grooves weren't exactly the same size or in the same spot). So, once I got the basic shape of each side done with my Dremel, I took the knife completely apart and shaped the scales laying flush against each other so that each side is a mirror of the other. (I really meant to get a pic of them laying flat facing each other...they truly are about 99% idential).

Here's another shot of the "detent circle" that the detent ball follows along the tang. You don't want to grind into this...I've already crossed the line but it's barely noticeable when opening it.

And here's how much G10 is left before hitting the liners

And the finished product

~David

Looks AWESOME, David. Great work.

When I practice self defense draws, I actually use my middle finger to flick the knife open
    and I like to get all of my middle finger into the hole. Even when I use the thumb, I like
    having the entire hole exposed.

When I first got my first Yo2, it pinched my finger when I would close it, so I modified
    teh back from the square to the more rounded like the PM2. Then I wanted the entire
    hole exposed, so I fixed it.

The Yojimbo 2 is probably my favorite knife. (shhh, don't tell the Military, it's a touchy
    situation), so I wanted it to be a bit more perfect for my personal taste. I have broken
    most all of my fingers at different points in time thru the years, so maybe they don't
    work like everyone elses, but these changes makes the Yo2 perfect for me.

Awesome work Evil D, hope that you are happy with it, it looks great to me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User GTPowers's Avatar
    I read this forum before going to bed last night and I ended up having a dream where I did something similar except that when I began grinding with my own Dermal, the knife crumbled into pieces. I woke up feeling miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by GTPowers View Post
    I read this forum before going to bed last night and I ended up having a dream where I did something similar except that when I began grinding with my own Dermal, the knife crumbled into pieces. I woke up feeling miserable.
    Lol search for dream threads here, I've had some crazy knife dreams.

~David

I think this is like my 4th round of mods to the handle of this knife. Once again, the changes are subtle, but make a huge improvement in the overall sleekness and ergos of the knife. I never grip this knife in saber grip, because the "thumb ramp" on the end of the top of the handle is just too far back. This knife was clearly designed for Filipino grip, so that point on the top of the spine just didn't work for me. In fact, it was just about the last sharp point left on the handle of this knife, so it had to go. Another complaint about that point is that it sticks out and makes a sharp spot on the side of your leg when clipped in your pocket. Some of my pants actually have a wear spot where that point is. Anyway, you've probably already scrolled down for the pics so here ya go.

Before:

After:

(didn't notice how rough that bevel looks till I posted this pic...had to clean that up too)

And one of my "Yojimbo yojimbo"

~David