Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: eBay FAKE Mule!

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Angry eBay FAKE Mule!

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-SPYDERCO...item4acbdf1a80

    Take a look at this! A search of completed listings reveals some have sold for $139!

    Unreal..

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liberal, Kansas
    Posts
    4,273
    What makes you think it's a fake? It looks genuine to me. It's not a Mule Team, it is a Woodcraft Mule, made by Spyderco for the Woodcraft company and originally sold by them for $89.95 if I remember correctly.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    456
    That's not a fake, it's the Woodcraft

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Forest, VA
    Posts
    1,548
    Looks real to me, not an extreme price either.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

    Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

    Chris

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,472
    I regret not buying these from woodcraft when they were closing out at $79
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Virginia
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I regret not buying these from woodcraft when they were closing out at $79
    I was lucky and scooped up the last four of them from local WoodCraft stores when they had them on the sales racks. I think I ended up paying $55 apiece for them (plus sales tax).

    I still have a couple of them equipped with bolt-on custom scales. Been contemplating having one of them reground as FFG. Not sure the geometry would work - but it would increase their slicing ability... What does everyone think?

    TedP

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    Oppss, my bad - so much for being a die-hard spyderco fan...
    I see its tech. not a mule which is what threw me... All mules look the same, just different steels.

    Thanks for clearing that up though! Sorry if I've caused any confusion.

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,472
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    I was lucky and scooped up the last four of them from local WoodCraft stores when they had them on the sales racks. I think I ended up paying $55 apiece for them (plus sales tax).

    I still have a couple of them equipped with bolt-on custom scales. Been contemplating having one of them reground as FFG. Not sure the geometry would work - but it would increase their slicing ability... What does everyone think?

    TedP
    Aren't they hollow like the standard Manix 2? If so raising that hollow even higher could really improve slicing ability. If it is in fact saber ground, I would imagine an FFG treatment would achieve the desired outcome also.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Virginia
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Aren't they hollow like the standard Manix 2? If so raising that hollow even higher could really improve slicing ability. If it is in fact saber ground, I would imagine an FFG treatment would achieve the desired outcome also.
    Yup, they are hollow ground. The one potential issue I see is that the grind extends past where the Spydie hole starts - so whatever grinding gets done will overlap the hole. Not sure how this will work aesthetically, but the hole is purely decorative on a fixed blade anyway.

    I've got a couple of makers who I'm going to approach. I'll let you all know how it goes...

    TedP

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liberal, Kansas
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrbear View Post
    Oppss, my bad - so much for being a die-hard spyderco fan...
    I see its tech. not a mule which is what threw me... All mules look the same, just different steels.

    Thanks for clearing that up though! Sorry if I've caused any confusion.
    No problem. Some of us have been around too long for our own good. The Woodcraft Mule wasn't sold through the regular Spyderco channels, so it has thrown up false flags several times.

    Welcome to the Forum!
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Golden, Colorado USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Hi Gerrbear,

    Welcome to our forum. The model was an exclusive for a customer that sold it as a "Mule Team" without realizing that the Mule Team's were a particular pattern. Nice piece though.

    sal

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •