Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Walther P99 9mm and a Mossberg 500, pictured below

Never cared for the 40 caliber because as far as I know there has never been a gun designed around the. 40 caliber cartridge and a gun is never better than in the caliber it was originally designed for. That's why on the Glock 27 for example you have trouble getting that ninth round in there because you are putting 40 cal rounds into a 9mm magazine. I wouldn't have anything but a Glock 9mm period. The 40 also has a very sharp snappy recoil in small frame guns because it's a very high intensity round and you're trying to force 45 performance from a 9mm platform.

Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    Never cared for the 40 caliber because as far as I know there has never been a gun designed around the. 40 caliber cartridge and a gun is never better than in the caliber it was originally designed for. That's why on the Glock 27 for example you have trouble getting that ninth round in there because you are putting 40 cal rounds into a 9mm magazine. I wouldn't have anything but a Glock 9mm period. The 40 also has a very sharp snappy recoil in small frame guns because it's a very high intensity round and you're trying to force 45 performance from a 9mm platform.
    +1
    Also, with today's ballistics and technology, a proper 9mm defensive round is just about as effective as a .40 anyway.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRookie View Post
    .38 Special snubby 5 shot - nice & small, powerful.

5 shot myself

.500 it's a little bigger than a .38 (no CCW with it ) but it's a blast to shoot.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    +1
    Also, with today's ballistics and technology, a proper 9mm defensive round is just about as effective as a .40 anyway.
    9mm is a great round in the proper loading. The low recoil allows for faster target acquisition on follow up shots, and you get a higher capacity.

But What if you compare the 9mm modern defensive round to the same defensive round in .40. wouldn't the .40 have much better ballistics?
    Im not trying to argue or anything, I heard James Yeager say the same thing in one of his videos and it got me thinking.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    5 shot myself
    Ken
    7 shot here:

686 by senorsquare, on Flickr

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    i have really gotten into fireamrs lately...hence I haven't been on here as much as I would like. I have a Ruger 1911 which i absolutely love to shoot. Barely any recoil and I am really accurate with it. I asked around and that is the norm i guess. I don't like the fact that you once you chamber a round that the trigger is half cocked. At the range it is fine but not for carry or even having next to your bed at nite....just seems a bit too dangerous to me even with the beaver tail safety....cleaning/disassembly is a bit of a pita too. Are there any models that are like the 1911 w/o having the trigger half cocked when a round is chambered? I also have a M&P shield in a 40, a glock 17, and I just picked up a Ruger 10-22 take down. I also have my oold service pistol a Beretta 92D Centurian which after shooting the other guns I think it is a complete POS. Not worth shooting just because I have to clean it after but it was my first so I am keeping it for sentimental reasons.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I only own two as of now. Glock 19, and XDM .45 Compact.

Wife is the limiting factor. Two is pushing it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Back in October, after 2+ years of procrastination, I finally got around to taking the required course and putting in for my CWP. Decided I needed something a bit newer than my 50 year old Detective Special, so I bought this...

It's a S&W Model 637. From what I hear, it takes SC SLED 3-4 months to process a CWP application, so I still have a couple months to go before I can carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    i have really gotten into fireamrs lately...hence I haven't been on here as much as I would like. I have a Ruger 1911 which i absolutely love to shoot. Barely any recoil and I am really accurate with it. I asked around and that is the norm i guess. I don't like the fact that you once you chamber a round that the trigger is half cocked. At the range it is fine but not for carry or even having next to your bed at nite....just seems a bit too dangerous to me even with the beaver tail safety....cleaning/disassembly is a bit of a pita too. Are there any models that are like the 1911 w/o having the trigger half cocked when a round is chambered? I also have a M&P shield in a 40, a glock 17, and I just picked up a Ruger 10-22 take down. I also have my oold service pistol a Beretta 92D Centurian which after shooting the other guns I think it is a complete POS. Not worth shooting just because I have to clean it after but it was my first so I am keeping it for sentimental reasons.
    Tony, I can't speak for your Ruger, or any of the newer 1911's, but on any that are more than 30 years old releasing the slide leaves it fully cocked regardless of whether you chamber a round or just close the action with the clip out. There is a half-cock notch, but the only way to utilize it requires pulling the trigger. A few folks carried that way, but the normal carry mode for a 1911 was fully cocked and locked. Some folks relied on just the grip safety, some on that plus the side safety, some on one or both plus a holster with a retention strap that would prevent the hammer from hitting the firing pin.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Paul, that is a beautiful revolver.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    .357 Lady Smith for me these days. Trigger on this is really sweet.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Glock 17, 19 or 26 depending on whether or not concealment is an option in a Fobus paddle holster loaded with Cor-bon 115 grain +p hollowpoints with a 33 round mag for reload.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Paul, that 637 is gorgeous. That would certainly make for a fine barbeque gun. (And I'll bet you know what a "barbeque gun" is too ).
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

First off, nice gun Paul. I guess i didnt write it well but i do know what you mean about the gun being half cocked anytime you engage the slide. I just love the ergonomics of the gun. I was wondering if there is a gun with the same basic shape and characteristics of it but maybe with a DA/SA. In a 9mm would be nice to for ammo cost
    My knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    I prefer a nice long rifle made from steel and wood- There's something truly spectacular about a rattle through a few 'mad minutes' with an SMLE III* in .303- true, the No4's aperture sight makes life a bit easier, but it doesn't have the panache
    I don't hunt anymore- not for any other reason than I've really gone off getting soaking wet and muddy in pursuit of something that I've then got carry back to the car as it leaks blood and bowel contents down me at inoppurtune moments.

That said, I do have an equal soft spot for the XM177e2, a modern (well 40 year old) classic- would that I could own a 'full fat' self-loading one, but my country has decided that as a tax-paying, law-abiding, adult I can't be trusted.

As I'm in the UK- no carrying for me or pistols....I would sell a cherished bodypart to be able to own and shoot a 1911a1
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Though I do not own one I would love to carry a CALICO M100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_M100

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNut View Post
    Paul, that 637 is gorgeous. That would certainly make for a fine barbeque gun. (And I'll bet you know what a "barbeque gun" is too ).
    To be honest, had to look that one up. Not sure if I agree the 637 fits any of the definitions I found since they all seem to imply looks to the detriment of function. The TALO version's grips may be good looking, but for me they're also more hand filling than the standard 637 grip and the S&W Performance Center enhanced action mods are purely functional. Nice crisp, light trigger pull in both SA and DA. It meets all my criteria for a carry gun. Light enough that i'll actually carry it and small enough to be easy to conceal but still accurate enough to hit what I'm shooting at. The looks are just the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    First off, nice gun Paul. I guess i didnt write it well but i do know what you mean about the gun being half cocked anytime you engage the slide. I just love the ergonomics of the gun. I was wondering if there is a gun with the same basic shape and characteristics of it but maybe with a DA/SA. In a 9mm would be nice to for ammo cost
    Don't know of any DA/SA ones, but you might want to have a look at the Para USA LDA. It's a DA 1911 and available in 9mm. Not my cup of tea, but it may be yours.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    I only own two as of now. Glock 19, and XDM .45 Compact.

Wife is the limiting factor. Two is pushing it.
    She will come around, make sure to take her shooting! Start with a 22 and work her into 9mm. Give her time and she will start to want her own guns, I know mine does! and she started how it seems your wife is.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

Don't know of any DA/SA ones, but you might want to have a look at the Para USA LDA. It's a DA 1911 and available in 9mm. Not my cup of tea, but it may be yours.
    interesting, I will have to see if one of the ranges out here has one to rent.
    My knives

The H&K USP was designed around the 40 S&W cartridge. My son owns one, but I prefer a P30LS in 40. personally. Lately been playing around with this, a Savage MK-II in the 22lr FV-SR flavor. It has a threaded barrel from the factory (16 1/2") and a tupperware stock. I restocked it with a cheap laminated stock. Shoots about 1/2" at 50 yards now for 5 shots, but I'm working on improving it. My daily carry weapon now is a Ruger SR-22. It takes a can as well.

Figure 8 or 10 shots will discourage someone as well as a 40 cal, just more fun pumping in the rounds. Very accurate for close work & quick for follow-up shots. Holster is IWB 5:00, I'm right handed, so it draws from the small of the back with a reverse grip. Light to carry & can't be seen with a loose shirt.

Last edited by noseoil; 11-21-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: content