Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Status on MT-18?

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
    I would say yes - the value of having truly comparable blades for comparison is high!

Spyderco Forum Registered User einstein2001's Avatar
    cough...Shirogami...cough
    Last edited by einstein2001; 11-05-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
    Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
    Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
    ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly

-Brandon

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I don't think I'd buy a Mule in 204P because I have the Southard.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    I still don't care for 440C though, which is strange as I like D2.

Must have been some traumatic sharpening thing before I had any decent stones to sharpen.
    I had the same experience, Joe. Had an old Buck General in 440C back in college. I HATED sharpening that thing back then. Wouldn't be an issue today. Really wish I still had had knife But I kept the Gerber instead, which is a much nicer knife anyway.

Ken
    玉鋼

Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
    I would happily pay in advance for a Mule in CTS 204P.

I can't warm up to the flipper, so my Southard rarely rides in my pocket, and I missed out on the PM2 in 204P. Which makes a Mule a great option for me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar

sal
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!! Well, at least 500 times yes! . Don't think you'd have a problem moving those Mules, and many of us have been looking forward to them for some time now.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!! Well, at least 500 times yes! . Don't think you'd have a problem moving those Mules, and many of us have been looking forward to them for some time now.
    I am definitely interested in MT in 204P

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

sal

There won't be that "new unknown steel" buzz, but your Mule fans and people who already know about and like 204P will probably still be interested. For example, if you put out another run of S90V, I really don't have any doubts that they'd easily sell out.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I would definitely pick up a Mule (or two) in 204P, even though I do already have the Southard and PM2 in 204P.

Do you need some forum volunteers to come help you pack up and ship out the one Mule series you have already received in-house? . I'll buy it no matter what steel it is, I trust your judgement .

I've been playing a bit more doing some whittling with my Mules, and I really like the Cobalt special, it seems to perform pretty well, and of course the K390 is FAN-TASTIC! .

Frankly I've been pretty happy with all of the Mules I have, even the MT05 9Cr18Mo ones, I guess the blade shape of the Mule just appeals to me, kind of like a smaller Temperance 2. Guess I'm just a fan-boy , though there *are* one or two Spyderco models I don't have.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

I'd definitely buy a 204P mule. For sure!

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Sal already released a mule in O1 - the Bushcraft! I wasn't around to get one then, unfortunately. Been searching for one for a long time, but most of them have probably already been shod with scales.

TedP

I'll take a pair of the MT14 in CTS 204P, particularly if I don't have to fight through the forum knife crowd to get them!

204p is nothing new. I might pick one up but I wouldn't be excited to sharpen or use it like I would 4v.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I would happily pay in advance for a Mule in CTS 204P.

I can't warm up to the flipper, so my Southard rarely rides in my pocket, and I missed out on the PM2 in 204P. Which makes a Mule a great option for me.
    You have not missed out yet on the PM2 in CTS-204P, Knifeworks has a second batch of 400 ordered. No estimate on timeline/availability but you should get a shot at getting one if you keep an eye on the forum.
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

I think I'm hearing that the mule project started with 52100 but is now expected to introduce a "never before seen in captivity" steel every time.
    This seems like a unreasonable goal, because other than satisfying our desire to collect new steels I thought one of the purposes of these knives was to allow comparison on a uniform platform.
    For example, I'd take a mule in S30V or VG10, even though they are currently very common alloys, in order to have a chance to compare them to other steels.

A new steel every time would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry - get both View Post
    A new steel every time would be awesome!
    It would. And yet two of my three favorite mules are 52100 and Super Blue, both of which have been used extensively.

Gordon

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    I would still love a mule cts-204p even tho I have the southard. More mules please!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Wheels View Post
    You have not missed out yet on the PM2 in CTS-204P, Knifeworks has a second batch of 400 ordered. No estimate on timeline/availability but you should get a shot at getting one if you keep an eye on the forum.
    I'm on their list. I bet there are a ton of other people on it, too, though.

sal

I would say that there is, if for no other reason than there are people that like that steel and would like to have a mule in it.

As for the stated purpose of the mule program, yes that steel has already been used in production knives, so on the one hand it would not be necessary to put it into a mule. On the other hand the mule is a different animal (sorry for the pun) than the folders and if someone prefers a fixed blade for some uses or if they just want an apples to apples comparison with other steels they could only achieve this with this steel in the mule platform.

Other reasons- I think there are people that would like to have this steel in a mule to complete their collections. I think there are other people that would like to have it again just because it is a unique steel in a unique platform. If you make them I don't think they would be hard to sell. If making them takes away from the ability to make models such as the Para2 that are in high demand, then it might be better to concentrate on the Para2 production and put this steel into a mule at some future date.