Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Status on MT-18?

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    It is an offering from me directly to those interested in Blade steels in a format more convenient for testing and comparison.
    Who else in this industry can speak like that - and mean it??? Thanks, Sal!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Who else in this industry can speak like that - and mean it??? Thanks, Sal!
    + 1

The quality of the product is only one reason that I'm such a big Spyderco fan.

Hi Dishcore,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi Philo,

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules to the Mule Team. It is an offering from me directly to those interested in Blade steels in a format more convenient for testing and comparison. I guess the term "exotic" is used here in a broad context.

sal
    OK that helps explain a lot what the purpose of the Mule is for. In that case any steel is up for Mule use including 204P, S30V etc..

K294 would be another option..

Quote Originally Posted by gaj999 View Post
    Something to remember is that Sal and Co. are doing us steel geeks a huge favor. I'm thinking that gratitude is more appropriate than criticism.
    Exactly where was I being critical of Spyderco and say Sal and Spyderco wasn't doing us steel geeks a huge favor??

I was referring to the fact that some were asking for 204P, even though it is being used in a production knife and doesn't fit in with the "Taking that idea a step up, why not offer a series (team) of blades using different, exotic and freshly unveiled steels? In doing this steel-obsessed knife knuts can try, test and use something normally not offered to the industry."

However now that I know its also for comparison and testing that makes 204P fine to use.

Thanks Philo!

Spyderco Forum Registered User drichardson67's Avatar
    I got at least one of every mule, and love every one. I want a Mule in every kick ass powder steel there is. I don't care if it's been used in other knives. I love the whole mule concept and am a junky when it comes to exotic steel. I love the side to side comparisons, and the creativity people can use for sheaths and handles. About 5 years ago, when I discovered Spyderco mules, I went ape **** over them. I bought just about every one I could find on flea bay. I probably had close to 80 at one point--though I've pared them back recently, you know, because I like the sprint run PM's and millies, and can't afford to be so OCD about the mules. But... I can't get enough of them. In fact, I dream about them. There is no end for opportunity to use them on my farm, and I love to run them down the gauntlet. And I got to say, I love that K390. I completely missed on them when they first came out, and had to hit the secondary market. But that steel was definitely worth what I paid for it.

And I love the mules because they are a very affordable way to get into and use a kick ass steel. There is no way I could 'sample' all the steels I want to at the prices most high end steels go for in LE, Sprint, or Custom knives. So good on you Sal and company. I love what you do. It was the mules that got me into Spyderco, and they are still probably my favorites. What else, who else, does a better job at democratizing the expensive and exotic? Introducing the exquisite pleasure of stellar steel to the masses?

s110v in a mule? I love that steel. CPM 4v? Hell yes. CTS 204p? What is not to like? Got a question on that one though: I heard about 6 months ago that CTS was going to discontinue that steel? Did I hear wrong? Or did Sal just wisely stock up on it?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drichardson67 View Post
    Got a question on that one though: I heard about 6 months ago that CTS was going to discontinue that steel? Did I hear wrong? Or did Sal just wisely stock up on it?
    There was a rumor that is was being discontinued, but a rep for Carpenter commented in one of the threads and said they were not discontinuing the steel.

edit: found the quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags14 View Post
    OK, normally I do not jump into the forums but just read them to get a feel for what is going now.

In real life I am the Commercial Manager for Knife Blades for Carpenter Technology and I need to clear the air here.

Carpenter is NOT discontinuing CTS 204P. There are a number of custom makers that love the stuff. We are going in the other direction with it!
    It will probably go into production with one of the other OEMs in the near future. The origin of of 204P is Carpenter's Micro Melt 20-4 stainless tool steel and not that foreign brand. I think you will find our MM20-4 has been around longer and is source of the chemistry.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
    over the last couple years we have developed CTS XHP, 40CP, B70P, BD4P, BD30P, and 204P and we have slab material for OEMs like Spyderco to order from.
    We have CTS PD1P in development and we are debating an insane material Maxamet for the market.
    CTS 20CP is still there but we have not focused on it. If the market is interested we will be more than happy to make the material.
    Last edited by jabba359; 11-14-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: found quote
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Thanks, Jabba, for the info, and for going to the trouble to find and post it--and for the exceptionally good news. CTS has been making some awesome steels lately. PD-1 is one that I really want to mess with. Strider is the only maker I know of that is using it now. Maxamet I am really exited over; the chemistry on that one is mind boggling. I would love to try and dull it...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    PD-1 chemistry is the same as CPM Cruwear. They are both powder steel too. Probably interchangeable in most applications.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    PD-1 chemistry is the same as CPM Cruwear. They are both powder steel too. Probably interchangeable in most applications.
    Thanks. I didn't actually realize that. They are darn near identical. The good news is; I got my Cruwear Millie today. So now I can go mess with it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drichardson67 View Post
    Thanks. I didn't actually realize that. They are darn near identical. The good news is; I got my Cruwear Millie today. So now I can go mess with it.
    Perhaps you could report on any comparison between the original Cruwear Mule and the Millie with the powdered version of that steel? I hear you about missing the original K390 train, won't make that mistake again. I will still admit it was due solely to S110V fever that day! Hopefully the next Mule is due up soon, maybe in 4V!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User jul's Avatar
    Recently I'm quite into very tough, non-stainless steels with good wear resistance. I'd like to see Mules in CPM 9V and Böhler K890.
    On the other hand Uddeholm Vanadis 10 would be a nice comparison to ZDP-189.

Any Mule would be awesome. And the timing's just right: just before Christmas.
    I know what present I'd like to find under my tree ;-)

+ 1 on the 4v but even more on the s110v Mule.

Any idea what steel Super Gold No.2 would be comparable to ?
    Otherwise that might be interesting to have in Mule format. I've only seen it in kitchen knives thus far.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Now that S110v is in the pipeline (thanks Sal!), I must now push for another steel I'd like to see in a Mule and in Spyderco folders one day... K294. Heard GREAT things about it, never tried it before. Also, CPM-154 pretty please!

Thanks for the recent K390. These steels are over the top stuff. We are spoiled

Spyderco Forum Registered User stickcarlson's Avatar
    i've been looking for a knife to take with hunting that i can use parachord for the handle.

I think this sounds like a great option for me!

Quote Originally Posted by stickcarlson View Post
    i've been looking for a knife to take with hunting that i can use parachord for the handle.
    I don't think that this will be ideal. Blood will soak the paracord and will then be held against the steel. Even if you soak the paracord in glue, there will still be small voids that can fill with blood. I visualize coming home cold and tired, not wanting/forgetting to unwrap my knife handle, and then discovering a big mess later .... I'd go for something easy to clean off in the field. Now if it's going to be one of the three or four spares that you always carry, go for it. LOL

Gordon

Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
    I'm late to this thread, but I would definitely buy 204P. I buy 2 of each (one to use & one for the collection) with the exception of BD1 and that Chinese steel.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Now that S110v is in the pipeline (thanks Sal!), I must now push for another steel I'd like to see in a Mule and in Spyderco folders one day... K294. Heard GREAT things about it, never tried it before. Also, CPM-154 pretty please!

Thanks for the recent K390. These steels are over the top stuff. We are spoiled
    would also love to see k294!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

If ever the MT-18 is K294, it's gonna be the first mule I own. Whatever the price, I'll own it.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User stickcarlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaj999 View Post
    I don't think that this will be ideal. Blood will soak the paracord and will then be held against the steel. Even if you soak the paracord in glue, there will still be small voids that can fill with blood. I visualize coming home cold and tired, not wanting/forgetting to unwrap my knife handle, and then discovering a big mess later .... I'd go for something easy to clean off in the field. Now if it's going to be one of the three or four spares that you always carry, go for it. LOL

Gordon
    Parachord is cheap. I'd be ok with just replacing the chord after a bloody use.
    I then have rope to use ;-)

I'll have to look to into what sheath to use.
    2003 Endura 3
    2013 Para-Military 2 Camo