Thread: It's not how many you have, but how sharp you can keep them

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar

It's not how many you have, but how sharp you can keep them

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Good point Charlie.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Haha, that's so funny! I was just talking to my girl 5 minutes ago about that! I was trying to explain to her that my favorite knives were the ones that I can easily keep razor edges on! Cts-204p had me a bit frustrated for awhile but I think I've just about got its number now.

Change is the only constantIf we are to remain sane readjustment and acceptness is a necesary thing

Even though I have fewer knives I have the learned skill of making them sharp in part given to me by this forum I encourage all to learn the same because it's a skill that will outlive any model of knife

The Pingo is my at work paper cutter. As such it needs to have a very sharp edge all of the time, N690 works well.

The HG geometry of the Breeden begs for an insane edge in vg-10 A great all around user from tomatos to cardboard

The 2.5 mm thick ZDP blade of the D'Fly takes a beautifully nutty sharp edge and seems to keep it forever

Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

Enjoy your edges folks
    Charlie

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Good point. The Pingo definitely needed a steeper edge - the one mine came with was ridiculous. It was sharp, but whittled like crapolla. Steepened the angle and it's one of my favorites.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    Change is the only constantIf we are to remain sane readjustment and acceptness is a necesary thing

Even though I have fewer knives I have the learned skill of making them sharp in part given to me by this forum I encourage all to learn the same because it's a skill that will outlive any model of knife

The Pingo is my at work paper cutter. As such it needs to have a very sharp edge all of the time, N690 works well.

The HG geometry of the Breeden begs for an insane edge in vg-10 A great all around user from tomatos to cardboard

The 2.5 mm thick ZDP blade of the D'Fly takes a beautifully nutty sharp edge and seems to keep it forever

Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

Enjoy your edges folks
    Well said and I agree. I'm more satisfied now with just my Sage 1 and XHP Chaparral; the way that they perform and my ability to sharpen them, than I was with my larger collection of safe queens and occasional users that I never sharpened.

I'd like just a bit more diversity, however and would love to have a VG10 model back in hand and I seem to have an incessant voice in my head telling me that I simply must have a Super Blue blade as well.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Well Charlie, it depends. First, because my opinion of what's "plenty sharp enough" and what constitutes sharpening just for the sake of sharpening is going to differ from yours and from anyone else's. Then too, there are different types of knife owners. Some are are strictly users who, one would hope, try to keep all their knives sharpened to their idea of "sharp enough". There are also folks like me who are both collectors and users and who may own some knives they keep sharp and some they'd never use, so sharpness becomes irrelevant and secondary to maintaining the knife in pristine condition. There may even be some small percentage of folks who collect, but never carry.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I usually keep my knives all shaving but with a coarse finish. The exception being my ss delica 4, ZDP stretch, and Kris. Those get the ceramics and the stretch gets 8000 grit. I make sure during the rotation process that when I put a knife back in the locker it's sharpened first. My edc knives get sharpened fairly often with the exception being the H1 SE spyderhawk. That holds an edge pretty well. Of course I cut lots of nylon slings and thick cardboard.

Spyderco Forum Registered User glbpro's Avatar
    Totally agree - one sharp knife is worth any number of dull ones!
    Regards,
    Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glbpro View Post
    well said!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glbpro View Post
    +1. At the end of the day, a knife is meant to cut things - not just look pretty inside a drawer.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DedRok's Avatar
    I don't know why but the Pingo is super attractive to me. Something about a knife that doesn't look like a weapon really gets me going.

As an electrician, I think its because I really like TOOLS.
    Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Well Charlie, it depends. First, because my opinion of what's "plenty sharp enough" and what constitutes sharpening just for the sake of sharpening is going to differ from yours and from anyone else's. Then too, there are different types of knife owners. Some are are strictly users who, one would hope, try to keep all their knives sharpened to their idea of "sharp enough". There are also folks like me who are both collectors and users and who may own some knives they keep sharp and some they'd never use, so sharpness becomes irrelevant and secondary to maintaining the knife in pristine condition. There may even be some small percentage of folks who collect, but never carry.
    Hello Paul

Agreed that percieved sharpness is a subjective property and varies greatly from person to person. The value of "sharpness" is certainly not objective or constant between users and collectors

Despite the thinning of my own collection, where every retained model is now a user, the ability to make anything cut well with little resistance gives a great joy

To each their own enjoyment of these sharp pointy things we call knives
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by DedRok View Post
    I don't know why but the Pingo is super attractive to me. Something about a knife that doesn't look like a weapon really gets me going.

As an electrician, I think its because I really like TOOLS.
    In my early Pingo the spring is a bit soft on top, still fun to use with a very sharp edge
    Charlie

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    You are a poet Charlie. I just say "ughh sharp" and "cuts well".
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Most of mine are factory sharp or near it. A combination of a number of Spydies and sissy daily tasks .

My own sharpening skills are decent at best. If it slices a PostIt note without effort I'm pretty satisfied. Something I'm working on improving tho!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf